Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596

@Dorothy60 wrote:

This is my full time job and the only way I can support my family

WOW. Just WOW. 

Donald28. Are you drunk?

No, but it would be easier reading your stuff if I was.

I thought you were headed to a private FB group to unite the troops and all leave the airbnb platform to greener pastures? And maybe start a few class action lawsuits? 

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

My opinion on this has been all over the place. At first I was angry that Airbnb was siding with guests and then I tried to be understanding of the huge task Airbnb was trying to handle. I was also trying to be sensitive to my guests. After days of clearing my thoughts I figured out a few things. Without trying to be too critical, Airbnb mismanaged this horribly. They have placed many hosts at risk of losing their homes. Refunding guests 100% was NOT the right thing to do. A guest's loss of $200 is not much compared to a hosts loss of $1000's. I then read VRBO's policy. I think they learned from Airbnb's huge missteps and adopted a better policy. Airbnb and the guest, should have been forced to bare some of the burden. After this blunder, some serious changes have to happen. No more extenuating circumstances without an insurance policy and some reimbursement of losses for hosts. Airbnb will lose hosts, either thru bankruptcy or to a competitor. Airbnb has a lot to do now to earn back the trust of the 1000's of hosts it alienated, even if it was unintentional. I still have faith in Airbnb but they have to move quickly, because hosts can't afford to wait much longer. 

I think we should stop leaving our comments here but contact Airbnb directly by calling, messaging or sending feedback. Let them know their coronavirus free cancellation policy is ridiculous, stupid, cruel and illegal. Request them to stop it asap and compensate for our lost. They may ignore if only few of us raise our voice, but it may be affective if all of us have same reaction.

I already did, not only 1 time.

I totally agree with you!  I sent a message to their contact us page - but where else can we write?  I also posted a new thread 

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

@James207   What happened to this post and thread?  It disappeared from the Community site even though it had the largest following by far in terms of likes and comments and viewings.  It should still be at the top.

@James207 @Sheila22 

Just to confirm that I can no longer see this thread in the Community Center.

I copied and save the url to come back to the thread, even if it no longer appears in the CC.

@Sheila22 aren't you the one who ripped off the host claiming again through Air BnB after claiming through CFAR insurance? I'd love a response, unless I'm mistaken.

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

And just now we have had guests arrive, check in early at midday, and then, at 8pm, submit a cancellation for their entire stay, which was instantly approved by Airbnb ......while still expecting to stay the night.

While guests may need to change plans last minute in the current situation it is RIDICULOUS that the system set up by Airbnb would let guests arrive and cancel the reservation completely without so much as sending us a request, so we can confirm if they are leaving the property (after staying the whole day - still requiring a cleaner), or intend to stay the night!

Airbnb, WHAT are you doing???

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya everyone,

This is an incredibly emotionally charged topic and we appreciate the sharing and discussion of opinions, so long as they remain respectful of individual opinions. We can attack the subject but do not attack each other. I urge you all to read the community guidelines before you post. As you can see, this community allows all sorts of posts both negative and positive so long as they adhere to those guidelines. 

Community Guidelines

I've decided to close this topic for the aforementioned reasons. You are more than welcome to post a new topic or take part in some of the other existing threads. Also, this thread is not being removed or deleted, only no new replies will be able to be posted. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines