Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596

About 25% of my guests have travel insurance. Some of them are double dipping. This is a typical example. Airbnb cares more about the renters than the hosts.Thank you Airbnb for taking such good care of your hosts!*

*Very sarcastic comment.

I feel like I am being stolen from by Airbnb...bad enough guests are not trustworthy.  

It's actually Airbnb who are to blame.  Yes, it's true, Guests are becoming a bit sketchy right now and should have some more integrity (I can give multiple examples of how they are taking advantage of Airbnb's robotic idiocy), but Guests are humans like us fighting for what they can in this bad time.  They are irresponsible and cavalier (still I don't forgive their lack of integrity but understand they are in a bit of a dog eat dog situation right now). HOWEVER!! It is AIRBNB that is kicking Hosts to the curb multiple times over with steel toes to the spleens and leaving us for dead with no regard for us.  RIDICULOUSLY they want investors to trust them and buy into their IPO?  We are their investors right now and they **bleep** all over us as the first turn.  Would any real adult invest in this amateur enterprise right now -- a business that can't stick to simple and clear terms of agreement?  I don't think so!

@Sheila22 its called integrity which obviously you haved none of, you should be ashamed of yourself

Again, I'm really sorry for the confusion -- I was actually just putting on the persona of a Guest who was "double dipping."  I am actually a Host who has been screwed over by Airbnb.  But I have learned that this is what many Guests are doing.  So, I just wanted to give a realistic portrayal of what a Guest must be thinking as they are doing this kind of or thing to us.  Who's fault is it?  The Guest who pulls this stunt or Airbnb who refunds all Guests 100% in the blink of an eye -- not questions asked?

Hi Sheila, I totaly agree with you, the first canellation I received told me about her heardspip because the airline is not refunding her the money, so she ask me as the host to refund her.

When Airbnb call me I was very clear, my cancellation policy is strict and I stick to it. 

Now I am waiting if I receive the money. All other cancellations Airbnb is not respecting my

policy and refunded the money to the guests. I am a fair person, a guest booked for July ask me if he can cancel and I have no problem to refund the money because it is a long time away and it is the busy season. I have a problem with my reservations for March and April, because I had to refuse 2 guests. Hosts are only the tool for Airbnb to make lots of money, the big disrespect towards hosts started in 2016. Only the guests are important to Airbnb, because the guests are the big money for Airbnb. The gread of Airbnb made the supply higher than the demand and the hosts don,t mean nothing to airbnb no more, because the supply of hosts is to high. The other problem Airbnb created is the quality of guests. But Airbnb wonts quantity not quality. Time to make some changes and fight back.

@Sheila22 

Ha Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah… Are you serious?

Why would you double collect? Is that not an ethical issue for you?

I am a Host.  I was just  'putting on' the voice of theGuests who are ACTUALLY doing this very thing right now as we speak with Airbnb's blessings.  I really want everyone to understand what is happening right now.  I'm glad it disturbed you -- it should be disturbing!

@Sheila22    Another host had written that Airbnb are actually refunding guests who have told them that they have travel insurance.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/WHY-IS-AIRBNB-REFUNDING-100-TO-TRAVELERS-THAT-HAVE-TRAVEL/m...

@Ange2 

Yes, this is happening, wholesale (doesn't really matter though, because almost all travel insurance providers have long since cottoned on to Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances policy, and are telling guests/their paying customers, that they must seek their refund from their Airbnb hosts, rather than honouring their insurance claims. 

So not only are we forced to carry the can for multi-billion dollar global corporatio Airbnb, we're being made to take the hit for the mega-rich travel insurance companies too. 

You couldn't make it up... 

Yes.  It's happening left and right.

Also Guests cancelling and then rebooking something  more lux but now cheaper -- they couldn't afford before (but with cancellations Host's have been destroyed and prices chopped).

These abuses are really happening -- A LOT!  And Airbnb is just doing it over and over without any questions, no documentation or anything. 

Yes.  The looting going on right now is unfathomable -- and Airbnb as accomplices

I feel for the host---

You are disgusting for doing this and seem to be even proud of it. We as hosts still have mortgages and utilities to pay, you should be reported!

I couldn't agree more with you Karolina - well said!