Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19

Why exactly are we being told to bear 100% of the financial burden of this? Oh, right, because Airbnb doesn't actually care about the hosts or their financial well being.

And we aren't Marriott, or United or Airbnb that will probably get bail outs from the government.  We just get slammed with the fall out.

The costs for cancellation should be split 50/50. If the guest took out travel insurance then it won't be an issue for them. It always, always seems to fall on the hosts to eat the costs if there's adverse weather or events and guests want to cancel. It's incredibly frustrating.

596 Replies 596
Grant-And-Luise0
Level 2
Derby, Australia

The latest "Message from our Founders" is just soo offensive to hosts. Patronizing and empty words.

Our non-AirBnb guests fully understand and appreciate that we have ongoing property costs and have not only accepted a 75% refund on cancellations with an explanation that we must share the pain in these times. An explanation that we still have insurances, property taxes and utilities to cover has seen messages of gratitude, understanding and support for the future when we have refunded 75% with an offer of a further 10% discount on future bookings.

Chris12279
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I had a guest cancel before the extenuating circumstances were changed at the last minute. I was promised the months deposit over the phone and in writing for a 3 month booking as per conditions of my long stay cancellation policy, then all of a sudden they change the terms post cancellation and essentially have lied to me by reverting my funds. Now they are ignoring my complaints.

Barry181
Level 1
Bryn Mawr, PA

I rely on the income from my properties to live off of. Most rentals are groups of individuals paying just a share. If I lose a rentals I still have to pay the utilities, cable, mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc. There is no cancel insurance for owners..

Renters can buy travel cancel insurance

For the owners this is not a one time shot like it is for renters - owners are losing many or all their rentals.

There were other options - apply a credit to a future rental. Refund part but not all. etc. Even airlines are applying credits rather than refunds. VRBO encouraged owners to be flexible. No hard and fast rule. Trip Advisor has not set any rules. One group of renters was attending an event that was rescheduled, so they moved their reservation. I can do that, but to allow the guests to just cancel is in my judgment wrong. I believe Airbnb did a GREAT diservice to its owners, one which will be hard to forget.

Mike-and-Anna1
Level 1
Breckenridge, CO

Completely agree... Airbnb "looks" great and so helpful to the guest while we bear the entire burden of huge refunds at their will and discretion!  They were providing full refunds to guests before there was any impact in our area.  HUGE revenue loses. Airbnb is going to put small business out of business!

Jeff-and-Pam0
Level 4
California, United States

Gee, how generous! 

Airbnb is asking Congress to help out its hosts, after it just hit their revenue by overriding their cancellations policies due to the coronavirus crisis

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-asking-congress-give-tax-relief-and-loans-to-hosts-2020-3

Grant-And-Luise0
Level 2
Derby, Australia

Can anyone please explain the logic behind hosts having to bear 100% of cancellation costs at present ? It seems to me that this is not only unjust but simply poor business practice by AirBnb.
Not only do we lose our livelihoods (or secondary incomes) we also have insurances, property taxes, utilities, etc (and many have mortgages) that must be covered during the current difficult times.
Any moral compass points to the entire AirBnb community having to share the pain, not just hosts.
The anger felt by many hosts is evidenced here on community forums and has only been exasperated by the offensively patronizing recent 'message from the founders' with its 'we are partners, and we we will get through this together' signature.
Please help me understand why this has been done, was it just stupidity perhaps?

Bojan79
Level 2
Ljubljana, Slovenia

So, Airbnb will refund us something ? Give us credit ? Help us ?

How can they change OUR cancellation policy?

Can we do something against this behavior?

It has the underpinnings of a massive class-action lawsuit.  We need to find a good attorney to take this on. 

I'm in . I have 4 property's.  

lol they are more likely to charge you the amount you lost for laughs than ever pay for you a dime. 

Sam698
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I'm curious if AirBnB is going to cover my mortgage this month?

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

Also, @Adriano78 , the guest possibly knows that if they get this confirmation in writing they can forward to their insurance company and likely make a claim there too. Possible double dipping. 

This is devastating for us, and guests are being misled by whatever message Airbnb is sending guests, into believing the refunds are coming from AIRBNB's pockets, with little impact on hosts. Little do guests realise Airbnb has been holding their payments and receiving many months of interest, before deciding, without discussion with hosts, to just hand that money back to guests. Airbnb keeps the (massive amount  of) interest on all of these payments, and leaves us with nothing. 

It is so condescending of Airbnb to advise that they are "helping" by opening our calendars for new reservations. THERE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ANY NEW RESERVATIONS! ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU HAVE ISSUED ALARMIST EMAILS ADVISING EVEN INTERSTATE GUESTS WHO HAD NOT CONSIDERED CANCELLING, THAT YOU WILL REFUND THEM 100% "DUE TO AN INCIDENT IN (INSERT *ACTUAL* PROPERTY SUBURB, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THERE HAS BEEN A LOCAL "EVENT")". NO ONE IS BOOKING NEW TRIPS.

I have so little respect for Airbnb at the moment. We are NOT "in this together", you have bullied us, broken contracts with us, stolen from us, and thrown us to the kerb, for your own survival and gain.

If I hear that "we're in this together" crap one more time I will puke.  We are NOT in this together.  We front all the expenses for them, and they create a billion-dollar company with no risks and no hotel room capital investments.  AirBnB is clearly mistaking their hosts for deep-pocketed insurance company because they are so scared of their guests.  

AirBnB wants to help us hosts?  Fine.  They can buy my $2 million dollar estate that brings in $221,000 per year in vacation rentals and take this over.  I'm done. 

Susan329
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

AirBnB are unfair they have always considered the guest as their customer when the owners are the customer to them. No other company is doing this the host & guest should share this situation. The Airbnb policy suits guests and I hope the rest can now see this as Abnb are. We have known this but have had to use Abnb due to everyone else. The owners have more to loose than spread over the many guests who stay.

So Ghandhi used people power it worked for India. So as a community due to Airbnb giving full refunds when the owners or hosts have set the conditions and advised guests to take out insurance when they book. PEOPLE power just do not use Abnb and use the other quality sites that have been around for years before Abnb. Like Homeaway which has many sites under their umbrella as in USA VRBO or Australia Stayz/homeaway. If we ALL use any other site other than Abnb then that is PEOPLE POWER either abnb will have to change their policy to be fair for the host and guest.

My point is we can do it together as no point commenting any further on Airbnb policy and corvo 19

It's like Open Homes after an emergency - it's not Airbnb sheltering people for free. It's hosts. They always make it sound like Airbnb is doing something charitable.