[Updated March 25th] Extending our series of global listening sessions this week

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated March 25th] Extending our series of global listening sessions this week

We know it’s a really difficult time for our community. Whether it’s disruptions to everyday life, your hosting income, or concerns about the safety of you and your family, the coronavirus has affected us all.

We also know how hard this pandemic has hit Airbnb hosts.  While we have been working behind the scenes to develop programs to help you, we want to open more lines of communication to gather and leverage your feedback and ideas. We’ve hosted over 20 listening sessions in the last three weeks, and we’re scheduling ten more in partnership with our community managers here to listen, ensure your feedback is taken into consideration, and give you ways to connect directly with us.

What you can expect: Our team is working around the clock to find ways we can support you through this time. And we want your feedback as we evaluate what will be most impactful. 

More than anything, we want you to know that you’re not alone. You’re part of a global community with all of us here at Airbnb and tens of thousands of fellow hosts.  So we hope you’ll join us. 

Here’s the schedule:

Please register for the meeting directly in the meeting links below (instructions to join a zoom meeting here).
Due to system limitations, this will be on a first come first serve basis. Registration will close 24 hours before the call.

Wednesday March 25th

Italian language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here

Spanish language, hosted from Spain listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here 

French language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here 

English language, hosted from US listening session at 5:00PM EST. Meeting link here

Thursday March 26th

Spanish language, hosted from Mexico listening session at 5:00PM CST. Meeting link here

Portuguese language, hosted from Brazil listening session at 5:00PM BRT. Meeting link here

Korean language listening session at 5:00PM KST. Meeting link here

Japanese language listening session at 5:00PM JST. Meeting link here

Friday March 27th

German language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here

English language, hosted from UK listening session at 5:00PM GMT. Meeting link here

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and feedback so far. If you have any other constructive ideas on how we can come together please do share them below. 

If you would like to talk generally about COVID19, please visit our dedicated CC board here, which our task force will continue to monitor. 

80 Replies 80

@Daiana43  "Mutual" means both parties agree. If your host doesn't agree, then it's wrong for Airbnb or you to characterize it as mutual, isn't it? The host isn't refusing your cancellation, they are refusing to provide a full refund, as per the terms of the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked. Of course it's hard for you to lose any of the money for something not your fault. It isn't the host's fault either. But you are only losing money for one trip- the host has probably lost months worth of bookings and 20 or 30 times more money than you would lose.

Have you asked the host if they would be willing to apply the amount you will forfeit to a future trip? 

Because risk should be shared and not placed entirely on one party in these unusual times. The situation is not symmetric because the guest has only a small amount of money at stake, but the host's entire monthly income is at risk. So yes, I would provide only a half refund in these unfathomable times and it would not hurt future business.

100% Agree. I have listings for Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club which is a timeshare. I paid 100% upfront to book the stays. Marriott does not allow refunds only exchange for a later date. You can only imagine the position I am in with guests cancelling & receiving 100% refund back & Airbnb not listening. Hosts should not be the only people carrying burden of this crisis.

Thank you

We carry the entire burden and it was imposed upon by a company that access to huge sums of money. AirBnB has raised since inception almost five billion dollars.

Jason1350
Level 10
San Diego, CA

This is fantastic, thank you! Looking forward to participating in Tuesday’s call. 

Jason1350
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Am I missing the call in information or web link to participate? I don’t see anything in the message highlighting how to participate. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jason1350 @Sarah977 et al,

I've just updated the original topic with the sign up links so please, go ahead and register. Looking forward to the discussion.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jason1350  Exactly, my question as well. Where are we supposed to tune in to hear these? @Lizzie 

It's like putting up a poster for an event and failing to mention where the event will be held.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah977 and @Jason1350,

It's fantastic to hear you are looking forward to the sessions. We will be adding the links to join the different sessions soon, we are just setting the tech up. : ) I'll let you know when we have them. 

We've also added a note to the topic so others know this will happen. 

Speak to you soon and spread the word. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Here is my input please log it for the global listening chat.

Dear Air B and B,

We as hosts have taken the complete brunt of the policy refunds until April 14th. Thanks for putting us in that situation, without any consultation, and doing so despite it not being the norm within the  travel industry or with other accommadation service providers. 

Please stop encouraging guests to contact hosts and suggesting we should give full refunds after Apr 14th. Enough is enough already.

Please stop sending panic communications to guests, you have been giving them false info saying due to a "situation affecting xyz... town", when that is not true, what a terrible communication.

Please do something constructive to help Hosts!  not just guests and yourselves. 

A voucher program, credits to guests for future stays or leave our cancellation policies in place if you cannot organise one of those. Its not rocket science it really doesn't take a worldwide pow wow, if you guys just listen to Hosts this situation can be solved. 

@Lizzie Thanks for the update.

I haven’t participated in these sessions before, so have no understanding of the participant limitations. Just forward thinking, it’s a little concerning that “Due to system limitations, attendees will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis”. Time is valuable and I certainly don’t want to waste mine or others only to be disappointed when we allocate the time and then aren’t able to attend due to the system limitations. Is it going to be like winning the lotto getting a place on this call or is there a realistic amount of space available? 

FYI, I had blocked the time for Tuesday and obligations may prevent me from participating on Wednesday, but I’m going to try. Will the entire session be published following the call for those who aren’t able to attend but would still like to gain some learnings from the discussion? I think that would be valuable if possible. 

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, J

I will skip listening to AirBnB pretend to care.

Adriano78
Level 10
Seville, Spain

We don't need any

global listening sessions we just need that you STOP TO REFUND 100%, is not difficult to understaend!!!

Nah!!!! Why would Airbnb do that since their intention is pretty clear that it's not happening. They need to do "global listening sessions" so they can say it straight into our faces that they found 10 out of millions  hosts support their decision to refund 100%.

@Ocean50, well if that's true, I'm  happy to be one of the 10 who support refunds. 

Regards, Christine