[Updated March 25th] Extending our series of global listening sessions this week

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated March 25th] Extending our series of global listening sessions this week

We know it’s a really difficult time for our community. Whether it’s disruptions to everyday life, your hosting income, or concerns about the safety of you and your family, the coronavirus has affected us all.

We also know how hard this pandemic has hit Airbnb hosts.  While we have been working behind the scenes to develop programs to help you, we want to open more lines of communication to gather and leverage your feedback and ideas. We’ve hosted over 20 listening sessions in the last three weeks, and we’re scheduling ten more in partnership with our community managers here to listen, ensure your feedback is taken into consideration, and give you ways to connect directly with us.

What you can expect: Our team is working around the clock to find ways we can support you through this time. And we want your feedback as we evaluate what will be most impactful. 

More than anything, we want you to know that you’re not alone. You’re part of a global community with all of us here at Airbnb and tens of thousands of fellow hosts.  So we hope you’ll join us. 

Here’s the schedule:

Please register for the meeting directly in the meeting links below (instructions to join a zoom meeting here).
Due to system limitations, this will be on a first come first serve basis. Registration will close 24 hours before the call.

Wednesday March 25th

Italian language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here

Spanish language, hosted from Spain listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here 

French language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here 

English language, hosted from US listening session at 5:00PM EST. Meeting link here

Thursday March 26th

Spanish language, hosted from Mexico listening session at 5:00PM CST. Meeting link here

Portuguese language, hosted from Brazil listening session at 5:00PM BRT. Meeting link here

Korean language listening session at 5:00PM KST. Meeting link here

Japanese language listening session at 5:00PM JST. Meeting link here

Friday March 27th

German language listening session at 5:00PM CET. Meeting link here

English language, hosted from UK listening session at 5:00PM GMT. Meeting link here

Thank you to everyone for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and feedback so far. If you have any other constructive ideas on how we can come together please do share them below. 

If you would like to talk generally about COVID19, please visit our dedicated CC board here, which our task force will continue to monitor. 

80 Replies 80

@Sharon1014 Thank you for your unsolicited and uninformed commentary - particularly with regard to my personal listing situation. It requires a response and I will address each statement in turn:

1 Aussie is in lockdown.

There is a great deal of confusion as to what this term should actually mean - as your response  demonstrates. At the time of writing my response to Ria, lockdown was certainly not the case in Australia. While international airport travel was being restricted (much too late) movement between states was not and states have been left - even now - to decide how much social distancing is implemented. Visit theconversation.com for a clearer picture of what this looks like NOW. Further, what was coming was pretty clear to anyone with the ability to analyse and track the emergence of the global SARSCoV2/COVID19 pandemic.

Leadership here has certainly been inadequate. Action should have been taken at least a week ago to close state border traffic and to implement quarantine measures (there are several local examples in SA of where the supposedly self imposed isolation of infected or possibly infected was not working). Government advice has been coming in dribs and drabs and no united front -  even now as the true picture is beginning to emerge, the rules vary from state to state. Federal response has been inadequate. The true danger to the Australian community of this virus is as yet unknown as the rate of infection continues to increase exponentially. I will stop there but could go on - the evidence is clear,  go figure.

2. And we were never warriors.

I did wonder if my words would be taken literally by someone without imagination. To clarify, the concept of warrior now encompasses a number of forms and scenarios. I apologise for the confusion. What I meant was, in my opinion, we were once a braver nation, with the courage to stand for the needs and rights of others as well as ourselves. We've certainly had leaders that represented this part of our national psyche. 

3. All politicians are cut from the same cloth.

Now there's a perfect copout statement for the apathetic and uninformed. Really no excuse in a country with access to good education and literature. Australian political and social history has many good examples of how false your statement is. Read it - start from the late 1800s and be enlightened by the emerging nation we were, the bravery of citizens and the politicians that stood in their interest - willingly and not so willingly at times, that's true but good people acted for the common good. Many citizens made sacrifices to give us the human rights that made Australia stand as a good example and global citizen. Many countries have since adopted them. Early examples such as our suffragette movement and the vote for women (NZ beat us to the post but we were second in the world), workers unions to protect and give us rights against bad treatment by employers.These were enacted into our parliament by political leaders.

More recently Whitlam gave us free education and healthcare...and havent we stuffed that up? (Hows your private healthcare looking when the best emergency care we have is in our public hospitals? and the continued lack of funding to public universities since Howards leadership - the same universities that at as a result of Whitlams legacy gave us some of the best medical researchers in the world). SAus was the first state to give our indigenous people the vote. We citizens marched to give voice and demand political support for anti-nuclear status. Politicians also. And we got it. We also marched against damming the Franklin And Hawke stopped it. Sadly, in my opinion, the last 30 years have seen a sorry continuous decline as we become a nation overrun by greed and self interest. Our recent political history is an indictment on the nation  - we once were...

4. And I notice your listing has disappeared, not the action of a "warrior".

Really? I take it you are an expert on how one should proceed given current circumstances changing as I write this response to your uninformed comment?

I came upon this forum and made the comment to which you so politely responded, while I was trying to find  up to date information from Airbnb administration as to the next best step to keep my guests, intending guests and my family safe, as COVID19 literally goes viral in Australia. After considering the limited amount of information available here I made an informed decision that the best thing I could do in my situation was to snooze our listing until the picture becomes clearer. My background as a Health and Medical researcher, means that I have come to the INFORMED decision that - for now - snoozing the listing is the best way I can ensure the safety of my guests and  my family. I understand that each person must make their own INFORMED decision on this and that it is not easy.

I take it you do understand how contagious this virus actually is? You do understand it can live outside of the host for 9 days? You do understand that we can scrub our little hands off and still not eliminate all signs of virus - given the different areas and surfaces in our homes? I cannot be certain that how ever much I clean my guest accomodation between guests, and it is spotless, that no contaminant remains.  And of course, you do understand that it is not yet clear if the virus can be spread before any sign of infection? You also understand what the term infection rate means? And transmission rate?

Please do your own research and figure it out for yourself - or find out what the real health experts are saying, theres a novel idea -  and unless you actually have the information to support your comments to others, perhaps it is best left unsaid.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Marlene323  Peace be with you. 🙂  To each their own.  Happy hosting.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hahaha @Ria16 , great to see you pop up.

Of course there's still plenty of people who may be part of the hidden homeless here in New Zealand and not just locals.

There's people who have traveled around NZ for work whose contracts may be ending, including accommodation, or to NZ for whatever purpose who still require a roof over there head.

Just had an enquiry from a local someone wanting just over a month for a family member...then there's students who may be from blended families who for whatever reason may not be able to live with their blended families due to universities closing early.... I'm sure there will also be others in the services who are deployed to different parts of NZ who will require lodgings, there's plenty of scenarios out there.

I have great empathy for those who have had their travel plans disrupted and been on their OE or working in international jobs who are away from family.

We all have basic Human Rights, and there's still very much a need for ABB.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Helen427  Hey that’s great you have a guest to stay with you for a month in isolation. Stay safe. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Ria16 , simply an enquiry at this stage.

I'd go up the wall if I spent a month on my own in isolation as society doesn't repose in isolation.

What's going on will be a trigger for serious mental wellness issues across the world.

Those who have created this disruptive chain of events must be held to account as it's not ok.

@Ria16   How sad that you only think about the people in your country, how good that your government supports them, but in my Mexico, it is not like that!

@Paulina238  Why in the world would you say that Ria only thinks about the people in her own country? Just because she posts something positive that her country is doing? 

What a strange conclusion and accusation to make.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Paulina238  I have close family in Spain and England and many friends in Italy who I have wept for so please don’t tell me I have no thoughts for others! 

Marlene323
Level 2
South Australia, AU

Thanks Admin @Airbnb .

I am very happy with 100% refund to my guests. If I were a guest that is what I would expect.  

And whats the go with the WHO comment, forum? Clearly the host forum lacks commentary from those with a background in community health/health science/health research. This pandemic scenario has been discussed in these fields for some years. It was only a matter of time. SARS CoV2/COVID19 is a big deal - because it is so highly infectious. Best for us all would be a short period of full lockdown and get on top of the outbreak quickly - rather than the current response of limping along, knee-jerk reacting and relying on 'flattening the curve' to lessen the impact. It will only prolong the infection rate for months and months and the GLOBAL economic impact will end up to be the same as doing nothing. Best to get onboard folks.

This is nobody's fault and these are extenuating circumstances. I do not wish to profit from it.

Airbnb was originally set up as a hosting platform for people to let space to others in their homes. It was a sharing gesture.

Some have made a lucrative business, investing highly  yet depending on everything to continue as 'normal' to maximise profit. That version of 'normal' has been at the expense of our degrading natural environment and every other species, plant and microorganism that we share the planet with. Lets hope we all heed this wakeup call.

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Airbnb  Thanks for the "we're listening" PR exercise.   But we're a bit more interested in listening to you talk than in having you listen to us, since you already know what the problems are and what the potential fixes are.  We'd love to hear exactly what you are going to do about this mess and when.  Please spare us any more meaningless platitudes.  Plan, facts, dates.  Recompense.

Dassi0
Level 5
Greensboro, NC

Changes to refund policy is only a small piece of the hardship on hosts. 

Pandemic has stopped people from planning travel — if folks hadn’t booked their travel yet there is nothing to refund, BUT still a huge drop in our income. 

We run a small, traditional Bed and Breakfast — we have no other income. 
Business normally supports us completely. 

We have had only 12 guests in March and no longer have any future reservations. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Brian, my suggestions regarding the new COVID-19 extenuating circumstances policy:

1. A more fair refund that considers both guests and hosts by splitting it. What the best split is, I don't know, but at the very least, hosts should receive 20% of the accommodation fee and have all of the host fee refunded, so they can at least have some hope of staying afloat. I think the majority of guests would have been thrilled to get most of their money back, but now Airbnb has been PR-ing full refunds all over the place, they feel entitled to get all of it back.

2. Whatever you decide about the refund level, stick to your policies. Your CS reps must stop issuing full refunds to guests who are not covered by the policy, e.g. those whose trips fall outside of the dates, or guests who already started their stay. These should be refunded according to the policy they signed up for. In many cases, they would get a partial or full refund anyway. You could leave it to the hosts to decide if they want to offer additional refunds or not.

3. Stop refunding guests for nights they have already stayed. This has happened twice already with me and I only had three guests!!!

4. I don't know if you are going to extend the dates covered by the new extenuating circumstances, but stop telling guests that don't qualify under the current ones and KNOW they are going to cancel the booking to wait for this, leaving the host unable to rebook nights or find alternative renters for nights that are inevitably going to be cancelled. One of my rooms is currently being held to ransom by a future guest who knows she is going to cancel because this is what AIRBNB TOLD HER TO DO. I don't know if that is legal or not, but it's certainly not ethical.

4. Make sure your CS reps actually have a clue what they are doing, understand the extenuating circumstances and cancellation policies and abide with them. In the space of one afternoon, the amount of one of my guest's refunds was changed FOUR times by Airbnb reps. She ended up getting a full refund (she was not covered by the extenuating circumstances), including the two weeks she had already stayed. Erm, explain the policy behind that decision please?

5. Stop pretending to 'listen' and start doing. Hosts should be reimbursed any funds that were wrongly refunded, i.e. that fell outside of extenuating circumstances.

How can I get an invite to dial in?

Paulina238
Level 3
Ensenada, Mexico

I really hope that airbnb does not extend the refund after April 14, because this is very difficult for us hosts, airbnb has left us without support.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paulina238 

I am afraid that it is almost inevitable that that they are going to do that. They are not giving hosts this info, even though we have been asking. They are telling guests who fall outside of these dates to wait to cancel because they will extend it.