Are you flexible with guests modifying the date instead of cancelling?

Byron54
Level 10
La Ceiba, Honduras

Are you flexible with guests modifying the date instead of cancelling?

I've always had a Strict Cancellation Policy on my listings, but whenever guests can't make it a few days before the arrival date, they ask to move the date ahead instead of cancelling. The only time i won't allow it, is if it's done within a two or three days before the arrival date.

How do you usually manage this situation? 

5 Replies 5
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Byron54   If you are allowing guests to cancel, why is your policy Strict?

I do not allow the guest to move the dates ahead as it could mean that they are now in the window where they can cancel without penalty.   They have to cancel and allow my calendar to open.   

I have refunded guests in full if I can rebook, but I am often unable to rebook if the date is less than 14 days away.  I have also offered to discount a subsequent booking but will return funds only after the 2nd booking has taken place.

I am not talking about cancellations.

Fortunately, I've never had anyone cancel a reservation after they move the date ahead, and most of the times that i've allowed to move the dates like a week before, i always end up with another reservation, so i didn't lose a client, gained another one, and still have the former confirmed ahead.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Byron54 Personally, most of my reservations are booked in advance (anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or more) I do not receive many last minute reservations, therefore I do not honor request to modify dates if they do not give me adequate notice. If I did so the odds are that I would be unable to secure another reservation for that time frame. I guess it really depends on each host, the area, and the population they serve. For example homes in highly trafficked vacation areas might receive more last minute reservations vs accommodations in remote areas or ones that cater more to business travel. 

@Lorna170 I am almost 100% sure when a guest modifies their reservation (i.e pushing it to a later date) the original booking date is still honored. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Byron54  "Fortunately, I've never had anyone cancel a reservation after they move the date ahead, and most of the times that i've allowed to move the dates like a week before, i always end up with another reservation, so i didn't lose a client, gained another one, and still have the former confirmed ahead."

So if this has never posed a problem for  you, what do you mean by " how do you usually manage this situation?"

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

How I manage this: If they reach out about pushing up the reservation a few days and the reservation starts within fourteen days, I'm unable to support the change. If the reservation starts further out, I'm able to accommodate. Also, other factors come into play, if the guest shows courtesy and provides a descent reason, I'm more flexible. If the guest's communication tends to be dismissive, I'm less flexible. Either way, they've already agreed to the cancellation policy, which now serves as a foundation for our negotiation and provides me with the upper-hand in this scenario.