[Celebration] The power of genuine human connection

Dolly36
Host Advisory Board Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

[Celebration] The power of genuine human connection

This article is a part of a series about building connection through hospitality.

My journey as a Host with Airbnb has given me an appreciation for the power of human connection. Three guests whom I met early in my hosting journey demonstrate this.

A couple from Germany stayed with us at our listing in Florida for about six weeks. We had a strong connection right from the start. After they left, they kept in touch, sending photos of their adventures across the United States. It’s hard to put into words, but I was deeply touched when they shared photos of their engagement. 

A guest from California came here for a new job in a new city. He didn’t know anyone nearby. So we invited him to join us for family dinners and special occasions. He still tells us how being included meant a great deal to him and made relocating less daunting.

The third guest, from India, stayed with us while finishing his medical residency. He told us he felt tremendous pressure to live up to his family’s expectations of becoming a doctor. One evening, he shared that he was failing classes, wanted to quit, and might even get kicked out for poor grades. We listened as he aired his frustrations, then encouraged him to take his residency test anyway—he’d come this far. The day of the test was a roller coaster for us, we were so anxious for him, like he was our son. He scored high enough to continue, and we celebrated together. He went on to earn his degree and said staying with us had made a big difference.

Hosting is about more than providing a place to stay. It’s about creating a space where guests can feel comfortable and welcome even when they’re far from home. The relationships we build with guests can help alleviate feelings of solitude. They leave with memories of not just the place they visited, but also of the people they met along the way. 

Connecting with guests is one of the most rewarding parts of hosting. I didn’t become a Host to meet people, but now I cherish these moments and the unexpected joy they bring me. I believe the synergy of Hosts and guests enriching each other’s lives is the true magic of Airbnb. 

As Hosts, we can positively impact people’s lives through the power of human connection. By supporting guests and our communities, we can help everyone feel a little less lonely.

How do you connect with guests? How do you maintain those relationships?

27 Replies 27
Beulah8
Level 2
McDonough, GA

@Dolly36  ,

I couldn’t agree with you more that connecting with guests as an Airbnb host is crucial for creating a positive experience.

It was a chaotic day, with airport announcements blaring and the rush of travelers filling every corner. As I hurriedly made my way to the boarding gate, my phone buzzed insistently. Glancing at the screen, I saw a message from a potential guest—a first-time Airbnb user in urgent need of accommodation.

This guest, a gentleman named David, was in a tight spot. His work had suddenly landed him in my area for a five-day vacation period, and he needed a place for himself and his family. He reached out for a same-day stay, and fate decided to test me further by timing his request just as I was about to board my flight.

Realizing the time sensitivity of his request, I quickly messaged David, explaining my imminent boarding and the challenge of communication while in-flight. I set a 10-minute ultimatum—if I couldn’t respond within that window, I regretfully wouldn’t be able to accommodate his request.

With a swift decision, I purchased in-flight WiFi and immediately contacted my property manager, urging them to ensure the home was prepped for potential guests. Once reassured that everything was in order, I messaged David again, clarifying that his initial request was for a single guest, but since his family was joining, he needed to modify the reservation through Airbnb support. To my relief, he promptly made the necessary adjustments.

Expressing gratitude for his swift action, I offered some pointers about the property and, upon his swift response, confirmed the booking. Throughout the flight, I eagerly awaited a reply, and upon landing, I wasted no time reaching out to David to ensure everything was going smoothly. I even provided the contact details of my property manager to offer additional reassurance.

David and his family settled in comfortably, and his stay was seamless. He left a glowing five-star review, praising the property and the hosting experience. His words resonated deeply, and I reciprocated by thanking him profusely, ensuring he felt as valued as he had made me feel about my property.

Two months later, a familiar request popped up—an inquiry from David for another stay. Remembering his previous visit, I greeted him warmly and inquired about his family. Expressing gratitude for choosing our property again, I also offered an unexpected gesture: acknowledging that we didn’t typically decorate for Christmas but offering to make arrangements if he desired it for his family's holiday spirit. His elation was palpable through his response.

His second stay was just as pleasant, and his appreciation for the holiday decorations was evident. This simple act of accommodation forged a deeper connection, ensuring that David and his family felt not just welcomed but cherished during their holiday stay.

Daniel1651
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

A guest who returns to your home is not only a loyal guest, they are part of the Airbnb community that understands the importance of personal connections and belonging ❤️

What a nice gesture you have had @Beulah8 and what a good reward you have received. Congratulations and best wishes from Tenerife, Canary Islands.

Daniel.-

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I love this because it highlights your understanding of the guest's needs, especially considering it was a last-minute request. The guest likely sensed this attentiveness and a connection was forged. Kudos, @Beulah8! Hosts like you exemplify that hosting goes beyond offering accommodations; it's about creating a welcoming atmosphere, fostering genuine connections, and ensuring guests feel not just hosted, but truly cared for.

Rachel1200
England, United Kingdom

I love your stories of how connecting with our Airbnb guests goes so much deeper than merely hosting them, and the power of empathy Dolly.

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you, @Rachel1200 😊

Daniel1651

@Dolly36 what beautiful stories. In particular, I was touched to read how you listened and supported the young student to move forward and how you cared on the day of the exam.

As you say, many of us do not think about meeting people when we open our first Airbnb, however that personal connection is so great that it becomes the reason for everything ❤️

I personally learned, thanks to my guests, that the world is full of good people who are worth knowing.

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

As usual, @Daniel1651, your response is a masterpiece, resonating with so much wisdom that deserves to be quoted many times over.

"I personally learned, thanks to my guests, that the world is full of good people who are worth knowing," is a testament to the beautiful journey of hosting. This reflects the positive impact that hosting can have, not just in providing accommodations but in fostering a deeper understanding of the inherent goodness within people.

Your insight serves as a reminder that the world becomes a brighter place when we open our hearts to the goodness that surrounds us. ❣️

Ruth1284
Level 2
Pearland, TX

@Dolly36 I personally do not bother them during their stay. I send check in instructions with my direct number, and also leave a number on refrigerator magnet. 

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi @Ruth1284, it's wonderful to know about your approach to respecting guests' privacy during their stay. I share a similar sentiment, as I also value providing a quiet and comfortable space for my guests. During check-in, I like to express my commitment to offering complete privacy but also extend an invitation for those who may seek a more personal connection during their stay. 

Reflecting on the incredible journey of hosting, I've had the privilege of connecting with so many remarkable individuals, including the three guests I mentioned in the article. What's truly heartwarming is that, even after their stays, we've continued to stay in touch, mostly through following each other's journeys on social media. When we do connect directly, they often express how our brief time together had such an impact. It's an incredible feeling, knowing that a small gesture of kindness during a short-term stay can have such a profound and positive impression. As my friend Daniel beautifully expressed, hosting has taught me that "the world is full of good people worth knowing," and I have cherished the enriching journey of hosting over my 7 years in this role.

Cheers to the joys of hosting! 🌟 🏡 🙂

Sash306
Level 2
Gurugram, India

@Dolly36 I think the key reasons people opt for Airbnb over hotels are the added spaciousness of a living room, the freedom to cook in the kitchen, and the chance to engage in authentic conversations with a personal host. Essentially, it mirrors the comfort of one's own home - the welcoming living room, the functional kitchen, and the warmth of family.

Going beyond merely offering a living room and kitchen, I seamlessly take different roles reminiscent of various family members. For guests my parents' age, I become the friendly son; for those my age, a close friend; and for younger guests, an elder brother.

All while making sure I maintain a careful balance, avoiding any intrusion into their privacy or becoming excessively informal. It's through these genuine interactions that connections and relationships naturally evolve.

Also Pro tip: Do a little extra for your guests that they would never expect - like dropping a guest to work if they can't find a taxi, offering chocolates (girls usually love them), playing with infants and kids so their parents can find some peace, etc. Yes, you'll lose some money and time but the happiness you get when you do it is priceless! 

Daniel1651

"For guests my parents' age, I become the friendly son; for those my age, a close friend; and for younger guests, an elder brother."

Love it, @Sash306 ❤️

@Dolly36 As soon as a guest books, we respond with an HOA Contract that emphasizes the privacy of our community. This helps them understand the many rules and what to expect. We are in an isolated area, so we also let guests know how to prepare for that (restaurants about 20 minutes away and groceries about 30 minutes away).  We do send a text the first morning of their stay to check in.

Finally, we text with check out time and how to close up the place.

In building or maintaining guest relationships, we do our best to offer help in misunderstandings. Example:  How can we help? What do you need from us?  Would it be helpful to you if we (did something). Mostly, we do our best to honor requests and be proactive.

Sarah5204
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Dolly36 I use auto scheduled messages to check in on my guests and take a lead from their replies as to if there’s anything further I can do to enhance their stay. Most of our guests choose us because they want privacy but, occasionally, a guest wants more. For example, someone travelling to the UK for the first time, I will invite to join us for a cup of tea and I’ll bake something. I’ll spend time filling them in on the traditions of the New Forest and ask if there’s any further information they want on the area or UK in general if they are touring. Otherwise, our guests prefer to be left alone so it’s a case of reading the situation and understanding their needs. 

Rene2548
Level 2
Nea Epidavros, Greece

Hi @Dolly36 

The time changed...

40 years ago, when I had a Hotel in Mykonos, we had always a very good connection to our guests.

But now, with the keybox, and the conversation only with the smartphone, everything changed.

I even don't see my guests anymore. For me, it is a change to the worse ....

The only I can do is to write at least some nice words. Many times I get also a nice respond.

Many Greetings from the beautiful Greece and very nice Christmas and a happy 2024.

René