Hosting Ukrainian refugees for no financial gain

Andrew2542
Level 2
Tadcaster, United Kingdom

Hosting Ukrainian refugees for no financial gain

Hi Folks

I've asked this question of Airbnb support, but had no response.

If I offer my Airbnb property to a family or group of Ukrainian refugees, I will need to cancel some guest reservations. I give a full refund for cancellations, but want to make sure that the guests will receive all their monies back, including the element retained by Airbnb - Service Fee.

Can anybody help please?

kind regards

Andrew, North Yorkshire, UK

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrew2542 

If you cancel reservations yourself, guest will have full refund including Airbnb fees.

But you will be penalised for each cancellation:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/host-penalties-for-canceling-reservations

You can try to contact Airbnb and ask for penalty free cancellation.

BTW you can offer your space for refugees (at reduced rate or for free) on Airbnb.org

Andrew2542
Level 2

Emiel - thanks for this clear response - I'll contact Airbnb again to see if they can remove the "penalisation" aspect. Andrew

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you need to cancel bookings that would be highly unfair to guests who booked with you in good faith.

you can do what I and many other hosts have done and offer your accommodation around existing bookings for refugees 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Helen3  Did you have to create a new listing in order to host Ukrainian refugees? If so, how did it go? I'm in the process of doing so but it's a struggle, ie my choices were overridden by the website... Anyway, am in touch with support and, fingers crossed, they may be able to help.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you don't @Patricia55 -  you just sign up to Airbnb.org on your existing listing.

What are you actually struggling with in terms of signing up? 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Ah, interesting. All the links I followed led me down the path of creating a new listing, effectively a duplicate of our own (a room in our home), but specifically for hosting refugees and asylum seekers...

Oh, I'm signed up, but as mentioned, I'm struggling with the fact that my choices* were overridden and, despite being in touch with tech support, there seems to be no way of reinstating them (although they advise me there is!)

*I opted to charge a nominal fee to cover additional expenses (listing states I host for free); my calendar was fully opened up (had to manually block it); our postcode was wrong (wouldn't let me correct it) etc etc. Now, it may be that we'll decide to host for free, but we don't want to be coerced into it!

Can you remember how you signed up to Airbnb.org on your existing listing? And is it working, ie are you able to switch between hosting your usual guests and hosting refugees?

Andrew2542
Level 2

Helen, we've decided not to make the Airbnb available for Ukrainian refugees (for now anyway) as we have capacity to host some in our own home - this way, we won't have to cancel folks' visits. Sorry I can't be more help, Andrew

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hosting Ukrainian or indeed refugees from any country I. Your home is amazing @Andrew2542 

@you have nothing to apologise for