Reimbursement for cancellation

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

Reimbursement for cancellation

I’m a frustrated superhost. I had a repeat guest scheduled for November. He requested to cancel in June due to Covid and cancelled football game. I authorized him to get a full refund. When my next guest came, $800 was taken from their payment to cover half of the November cancelled stay. I was told my Airbnb rep that my $800 would be reimbursed after the time the guest was scheduled to stay in November. I wasn’t happy with that answer but really had no choice if I wanted to do the right thing for my guest. November came and no reimbursement. Finally got ahold of an Airbnb rep who told me it was resolved but to give it a week or so to get into my account. Well, that was over 2 weeks ago and still no money has been deposited. 
yes, I’m frustrated that I have no phone number to contact Airbnb. Yes, I’m frustrated that they have held my money for 5-6 months and now I’m having to raise my blood pressure and stress to get my issue resolved. 

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rhonda74 it sounds like you did a manual refund for this guest, something you should not have done. When the guest cancels in advance, you are out of the equation. The guest gets his money from Airbnb, where they have been keeping it all along. You do not refund and you do not get paid. You basically fronted this money for Airbnb and allowed them to collect interest on it a bit longer, plus created really complicated accounting for yourself and a frustrating experience to get it back. Going forward, all you need to do is approve a full refund. Do not actually send any money.

@Rhonda74 unfortunately you were ill advised. Airbnb has very poorly trained customer service at this time. The best way to get their attention is through social media. Try messaging them on Facebook or twitter

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

Thanks but I followed the advice of the rep who advised me that this was the only way to get my guest a full refund. I wanted to treat my guest fairly but it seems like I was the one who is still being treated unfairly by Airbnb. 
The rep told me that was the ONLY way to give my guest a full refund and I was NOT told airbnb would keep this money until that next guest’s payment was processed. I aboit crapped when my $1200 payment was reduced to $400.
I’m hoping an Airbnb rep will do the right thing and get this resolved. I do nothing but make money for Airbnb and try to treat all guests with respect. 

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

Why isn’t there a phone number so I can call Airbnb??  

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

My husband told me to contact an attorney. This is some shady stuff. 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rhonda74 I came across your post and reached out to CS on your behalf. I sent your details over trying to get to the bottom of this for you, and they just reached back to me with good news. The reimbursement has been made, and you should have an email confirming this. Could you please give me an update/confirmation on this in your earliest convenience?

Many thanks!

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

Thank you for checking for me. The payment hit my bank this morning, so I’m good. Honestly still not pleased at the way it was initially handled but gonna let that go. I appreciate your help. Thank you.