T V ADS SELLING ON-LINE APPLICATIONS & APPROVALS FOR SUPPORT ANIMALS

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

T V ADS SELLING ON-LINE APPLICATIONS & APPROVALS FOR SUPPORT ANIMALS

I am an Oregon Airbnb host.  My TV last night flashed numerous ads all evening for an on-line service promising to get your dog approved for the federally guaranteed service animal license. They showed a huge hairy dog maybe 80 lbs. to suggest "we can get your service animal approved or your money back".  Ad further stated " why pay pet fees and deposits when you have the support animal permit to get access to stay any where you want" or something along that line. The AD specifically repeated the 'why pay pet fees" and the "guarantee or your money back".  Is this the start of a new scamming scheme which has been spawned as a result of Airbnb's super liberal interpretation  of the service dog permit  thing on the platform?   The con artist's sniff out platforms that invite abuse and exploitation.  You must know you cannot get into a flee bag hooker motel with a PET if the owner/manager does not allow it.  But you can get into an Airbnb because everyone and everything is welcome everywhere.

Susan
3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Susan990 Airbnb has never required any sort of documentation for either service dogs or ESA's, so a guest has always been able to just claim their pet is an assistance animal and walk right in. With the recent update to the policy though, a host may now refuse an ESA, or can charge a pet fee. Hosts are still required to accept a service dog though (or miniature horse!!), except under certain limited circumstances, and can't ask for a fee. No document required.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1869/accessibility-policy

Note that there are requirements that the guest who claims assistance animal must adhere to with their animal. Which helps weed out the fraudsters.

OK Thank you for the update. All this time, since I signed up my properties with Airbnb did I not notice or read in any part of the contractual agreements pages that " guest has always  been able to just claim their pet is an assistance  animal  and walk right in."    Unbelievable! And the stock valuation  is how much today?  

Susan
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Susan990,

In the US, according to ADA guidelines there is no requirement for a service animal license: https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center