Verification code sent

Jack154
Level 3
Houston, TX

Verification code sent

I keep getting text messages that say, “Your Airbnb verification code is ####. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.” 
Why? I’m not trying to log in or anything. I wish Airbnb didn’t allow the use of phone numbers as a way to log into the app (in which case you would get this message). Is someone trying to hack me? -Jack

99 Replies 99
Mark3566
Level 2
Austin, TX

Getting the same thing!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Many hosts have been reporting the same issue on Twitter and Facebook and also here for the last few weeks @Mark3566  @Jack154  

I wonder if its a phishing bot hitting the website?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Could well be @Mark3566  Airbnb are well aware of whatever it is that’s happening, but seem to be keeping hosts in the dark about it.

@Paul1255 Would you mind tweeting me the links?  My Twitter handle is:  NoBoxes.

Julieanna
Mary4286
Level 1
United States

Me too, almost daily, and it’s getting annoying.

Gary-And-Pamela0
Level 2
Fredericksburg, TX

I'm getting them as well.  I changed my password in ABB just in case but still happening.

Edward467
Level 2
Port Jefferson Station, NY

I keep getting those messages also regarding a verification code I did not request.  I spoke to a rep at Airbnb who I think told me (she was a little difficult to understand) that they were running some kind of test hence the reason for the messages.  Still seems strange to me!

I have benn getting them daily since a few weeks. Changed password twice. Just now I got one in chinese.

Quana7
Level 1
New York, NY

I have received 3 so far & it’s annoying at this point.  

Nicole2302
Level 1
New York, NY

Yes! it is annoying. Me too.  Airbnb: can you please let us know what is this about? 

I received already 4 of those text messages

Kerri28
Level 4
Laguna Niguel, CA

I have received these daily for the past several days. It is annoying. The texts don’t even have a site or link so i guessed it wasn’t phishing. And what exactly would you ever do with a code that you are not supposed to share??? Even with Airbnb??? Confused.

@Kerri28 I failed to see this thread before I started one of my own here:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Airbnb-Scam-Text-Message-Warning-Smishing/td-p/1405968.  Actually, I believe it is possible to do damage by just opening a text message even if there is no link.  In fact, this article says certain messages can do damage just by being sent to your phone:  https://www.wired.com/story/imessage-interactionless-hacks-google-project-zero/.  

I haven't opened any of the messages sent to my phone.  @Edward467 I seriously doubt @Airbnb is doing a test,--or at least a "test" that is ethical.  Maybe they are trying to harvest other data from our phones now without our consent.  It's almost laughable that they told you that.  

@Elisabeth40 , @Nicole2302 , @Quana7 , @Gary-And-Pamela0 , @Mary4286 , @Paul1255 , @Mark3566 , @Jack154 , @Philippa25 

Julieanna