6 bedroom house not registered as HMO Manchester can I air bnb it

Andrea6481
Level 1
Hale, United Kingdom

6 bedroom house not registered as HMO Manchester can I air bnb it

My house isn’t registered as an HMO. It has 6 bedroom on 3 floors. What to I need to do to make it legal to rent out as an air bnb 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrea6481 If you are renting it as a whole home then I think you are fine. Renting it room by room I have no idea what the rules are.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrea6481 I've looked on gov.uk and found the text below.

It appears that anyone renting out 2+ rooms in their own house is classed as an HMO and your would be a Large HMO that would definitely need a licence.

I wonder how many home share folks in the UK know about these rules.

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

If you want to rent out your property as a house in multiple occupation in England or Wales you must contact your council to check if you need a licence.

You must have a licence if you’re renting out a large HMO in England or Wales. Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

• it is rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household
  • some or all tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities
  • at least 1 tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

Thank you for that information. I thought there may be a difference when renting short term. What a pain as registration is quite complex 

@Andrea6481 I AM WRONG>>>>>>> Or at least I might be. It depends what sort of guests you are hoping to find via Airbnb.

I found this on Visit Britain's website:

In order to be an HMO, the property must be used as the tenants' only or main residence, and it should be used solely or mainly to house tenants. Properties let to students and migrant workers will be treated as their only or main residence, and the same will apply to properties which are used as domestic refuges.

Therefore, holiday cottages let to families or other groups of people living together as one household for a holiday, who have a main home elsewhere, are not HMOs.

Where winter letting to groups of people who are not related is taking place, the premises may well be considered to be an HMO and you should seek advice.

great that’s so helpful and would make a difference. I’ll try check it out