Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

Airbnb cannot back up its Host Relief Act

When all of this started about a month ago, Brian Chesky (CEO of Airbnb) was feeling the heat. In an effort to get gig worker hosts and ongoing media coverage off his back he quickly released a statement indicating that the Host Relief Act would provide 250M in relief grants to hosts that qualified. 

I think it was something up to $5000 each. Has anyone seen a dime?

I am here to tell you now, I am an eligible host. Not a single cancellation. 100% occupancy rate. Super host and in a popular location as well.

I've made a lot of money off Airbnb and I've made them a lot of money as well.

Called the first time to apply for application for grant, after asking the Airbnb representative a series of reasonable questions (when can we expect it? how much will each person get, etc), not only did she have no idea what I was talking about but she also got beligerant and hung up on me.

Ok.

Called back. 2nd rep had to do some lengthy research but did in fact find the grant information. Sadly, she nor I realized IT WAS COMING OUT OF THE EMPLOYEES POCKETS ACCORDING TO THE GRANT STATEMENT! 

She kept her composure, ensured that I am in fact eligible and would be receiving an application in days to come.

It's been two more weeks and nothing.

My dudes. This is a joke. We have been duped. Homeaway is already calling me and trying to sway my business over to them because they know that Airbnb has not protected us as hosts, this needs to be dealt with. 

Some of us have lost THOUSANDS in a matter of weeks with absolutely no liability to Airbnb itself it is disgraceful and I'd like to hear what some of the rest of you have to say about it because I'm disgusted.

92 Replies 92
Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

Listen to me.

The face that when we call THE EMPLOYEES don’t even know what we’re talking about is a: 

HUGE

RED

FLAG

Ryan111
Level 6
New York, NY

Aren't there any lawyers that host that want to start a class action?  I have a mortgage to pay, had a cancellation policy to protect myself and now can't pay that mortgage due to Airbnb.  

It’s a national emergency. There are plenty of sources that you can qualify as  self employed. 
SBA has 3 programs and 2 of them are forgivable 

in addition you can apply for unemployment under the cares act. For Cali they go live April 28. 

These programs, Lucy....do not cover most people's mortgage!  They are a temporary and small fix.  We all need help ...especially those of us who have been with this billion dollar company for over 9 years! And as far as the "Cancellations go"...look March - October are my busiest months here at the Retreat and about 80% of my clients that come here book within a week or two....most do NOT book in advance, although I did have 1 or two for May....never got compensated....so this whole thing about the amount of money we will receive based on the number of cancellations is just completely UNFAIR.  Please read my previous posts.  It's just NOT at all in line with true help for the hosts that have directly helped finance this billion dollar company for many many years now....such as we have. I think it's truly a sad situation because when a crisis of this historic proportion hits...we actually get to see the character of people and what people are made of.  If the focus is on how much money they can keep bringing in instead of actually TRULY helping people....then that's the way they choose to live.  I don't know...I can't speak for any one but myself but if it were my company I would be going OUT OF MY WAY to HELP everyone....just like I do here at The Chianti Life Retreat....every single stay. Because....believe me.....this is how people remember you...how you helped them...especially in times of crisis like we are all in. And you can read my over 300 5-star reviews and you will see how people that have stayed at my retreat...remember me.  This should be a true wake up call for Brian Chesky and his partners, Joe and Nat. because long, long after this haas passed we will all remember just how they took care of their hosts.

I have applied for the so-called programs but nothing.

Lucy47
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Hello Brook.

did you say that you didn’t have any cancellations?

I don’t believe the funds are for people that did not lose business. Just because you are a super host I don’t think you should qualify. 

there are many hosts that lost all of there business. 

I had 25K in cancellations dear. I live in a tourist City 

Lucy47
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Im sure the Airbnb got stimulus for its employees. 

ALL hosts can apply for SBA there are three things there to apply for and 2 of them are forgivable. 

all Hosts can apply for unemployment as self employed or independent contractor. 

SBA. Ran out of money it they just had more money allocated and should be available to apply soon. 

Unemployment. Depends on The state. I’m in California and we are being told it will go live April 28.   This is all under the new Cares Act. 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548/text?q=product+update

Lucy I have already applied for these endeavors to no avail. The loan program already ran out of money and it didn’t even go to small businesses let alone individuals it went to big corporations like Ruth’s Chris. Applied for unemployment over a month ago and nothing from them yet either.

Also Airbnb is now trying to kick me off the app for creating this discussion. Another giant red flag.

There is more money coming in to those programs

Hi Brooke.  The SBA loan program is being funded again...I think 250billion or more this time....so check it out!

Well, I put the application in 3 weeks ago and most people I talk with here in Asheville say the bank laughs at you saying there is no money.

Ciel and Lucy, why don't you go apply then...like I did. Then you can both be told nothing, like I was and see nothing, like I did. These programs are not what they claim to be. You keep telling me to do my research well I'm here to tell you I AM LIVING IT...AND I THINK IT'S EVIDENT IN THESE COMMENTS THAT A LOT OF OTHERS ARE AS WELL. 

If I had really heard even one thing from unemployment (mind you I have even obtained a personal representative there) or the CARES ACT or any other part of the SBA loan program that I would really spend valuable time on here arguing with either of you? This may come as a shock to you: I wouldn't. 

I'm mad 

You should be mad

And the only reason I can think of that you're not is because you must have some alternate form of income that the rest of us don't

So please stop. I know you think you're being helpful but you're not. 

I'm here to expose the truth, not to get advice. 

I already know too well what's going on and other people need to too. We all deserve straight answers!

I just heard with my own ears, maybe yesterday, McConnell happily saying the new money for the small businesses would go to small town banks and loan offices.  I'd like to ask him if it doesn't go to the small business owners, what good is a bank to them.  Also heard that Ruth's Chris gave their money back when they heard what happened, 10 million, no wonder it was gone in a day, some other comp. also gave theirs back, just didn't hear who it was.

Unemployment is for people who have paid into the system. If you don't get paid a salary with unemployment insurance paid, unemployment isn't going to be there. The SBA offered $10,000 grants, wonderful but then changed it to $1000 per employee, not much help. The PPP loans are only forgivable if you have employees that you are going to rehire. The program ran out of money before we could even finish a application. Locally, the Economic council is offering a 4.5 million dollar grants but only if you qualify for the PPP and if you don't have payroll then you don't qualify.  They have already allocated the money before the actual application period opens on Monday, they have over 150,000 requests already. By the time they opened it up to Self employed, was the day before the money ran out. If you don't have payroll you need to have the Schedule C from your 2019 taxes completed, yes, that's 2019. It's around in circles, has kept us busy for the past three weeks and no relief.  

I see no reason that the AirBnB refund payments are so delayed. In this day and age of computer, instant everything, this is a push of a button for them to figure out who gets what and another button to push to send it to us. They were very quick to remove all reservations, should be just as quick to give us the money due, not take over a month to do it.