Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

Answered!
Aamir3
Level 2
Germany

Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

Hi,

Today I was checking my credit card statement and saw that my card has been recently charged for a AirBnB trip I didn't book. I could not find a helpline number or email to write to AirBnB support directly.

Can somebody please direct my query to AirBnB Support to look at and contact me immediately? Following are the transaction details, I could see a booking id there to start the investigation.

Amount -1.437,12 EUR
Posting text 
AIRBNB * [Personal information hidden]

Many thanks,
Aamir
1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Aamir3,

Sorry to hear that that happened to you.

You should change the login password on your Airbnb account, contact the bank that issued your card and contact Airbnb customer service.

You can contact Airbnb customer service by phone, Twitter or Facebook as described here https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us#/

and here Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

Hope it all works out OK for you.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

85 Replies 85

Yep, I know that... but Bhukima's responses seemed to indicate that she had some sort of direct line of communication with Airbnb corporate, so I thought I'd respond specifically to her in the event she could relay my issue. The other comments in this community (and others) make very clear that Airbnb is not at all helpful nor seems to care about its security weaknesses and is, therefore, difficult to reach. So, I thought Bhukima could help.

And, yep... my bank is doing its thing as well.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did this ever get resolved? in in the same boat. Fraudulent charge.  Customer Support accuses me of sharing my card with others but won’t say who or for what. 

Reading this thread it’s clear Airbnb has a problem with this fraud scenario. There are easy technical solutions to this, but it seems like they don’t care and are just leaving it to the banks to absorb the costs. 

Erik

Hi Laura. I too was recently had a  fraudulent charge from airbnb for $807. When I contacted them and they looked into it.  I got an email the next day saying that they were unable to refund me because it "could have been a family member or close friend that used my card" and I needed to contact that person directly. But they did not provide me with any other info as to who charged my card. Absolutely ridiculous reply from them as they basically called me a liar. Not one person has access to any of my personal info. I contacted my bank directly and they are sending me a new card and looking into the matter. Airbnb was zero help and blamed me for the charges. 

@LeAnne283 The last time this was brought to the forum the poster discovered they had put their credit card onto a friends booking in the past and had never removed it. As a result they were found liable for the charge by the bank (and presumably lost a friend at the same time)

I have only booked in my name on my airbnb account. No one else has access nor have I put my info on any friends airbnb account. That's why I was so upset they accused me of it being a friend or family member

@LeAnne283 then ask your bank to cancel the transaction. In the UK we have a thing called chargeback for situations like this so I assume American banks have something similar.

I did report it to my bank. I just hope these banks are going after airbnb for these fraudulent charges. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @LeAnne283, I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a very unusual situation. Have you received any updates from your bank since you posted here? I've forwarded the details you provided to the team for review.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

My bank fully refunded the amount back to me, but airbnb wouldn't. Apparently they've done that to many others. It's unfortunate because I won't be using them anymore and I hope others follow if they've been fraudulently charged. Airbnb was of no help at all!

@LeAnne283 Are you going to stop dealing with all the other companies where your card may have been compromised? The chance of Airbnb being the culprit is actually quite small.

I share same feeling with LeAnne, I do have many credit cards for long time I had never been charged fraudulently until now by AirBnB. I don’t find to be a secure place to have CC information. What makes this very unreal is the way the claim is handled by refusing to provide details of the charge. No date of the incurred charge, no purpose of the charge, no location of the charge, no name of the person nor account number utilized. Not even this charge appearing in the trip of our profile. Basically AirBnb states oh! Well your CC is valid and you have to pay.

Hi LeAnne, same here is very unreal to received such statements as final conclusion of the so called investigator of the claim. My advice is to take this matter to court to settle. AirBnB has to proof that in fact this has been the case, disclose the details of the charge and proof that is related to you.  I am taking this action as this is totally unacceptable. Good luck

Same response from Airbnb. This is theft.

Same here for me. A fraudulent charge not showing in my trips and AirBnB refuses to provide details of the charges. The so called claim investigator just has assumed that a family member made the charges. Very disappointed on AirBnB as company and very unsecured to have our personal information specifically the credit card. They attempted to do another charge but by that time I had locked the CC and did not got through. I am submitting a claim in court to settle. I think even a legal class action is appropiate due to business practices. 

File a claim with the Wisconsin state attorney general for fraud and file with the federal consumer protections bureau.