Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

We closed our BnB cottage in March 2020 because of Covid. Yesterday we began accepting reservations for June 5 and beyond.

I thought we were being original. Our listing was updated with an opening statement that Covid Vaccination Certificates are required for every guest prior to them being given a key.  In addition to the Airbnb listing, we will include a statement with our response to their reservation request.

I soon discovered that we are not alone with that requirement.

Has anybody else done this? Has Airbnb made a statement about it. 

187 Replies 187

@Susanna307  I put it in the House Rules. It’s the first thing on the list. I haven’t required proof yet, but, I do state “I reserve the right to request proof.”

I also sent direct feedback to Airbnb asking them to put this an optional criteria (including proof) for both the host and the guest. I am finding many guests want it, also. I think this would be very helpful and the more of us send in this feedback the more likely it will happen. 

I asked Airbnb if this was okay before doing it.  They said please put it in the Description (the first thing people see)  since it was such a ‘sensitive subject’.  So that’s what I did and, I recommend you flat out say ‘I will require pictures of your vaccine card’ not ‘ I might’ because that already started an unwanted conversation.  Be firm and decisive.   I don’t think peole can message you photos until the booking is approved.... so I say ‘ I’ll ask you to send photos after booking is approved”.    Having a negative test in the last 72 hours is useless- they might catch a variant as soon as they enter a public space and then bring it back to your space. .  

I totally agree. I spoke with an Airbnb rep. They have no rules against this requirement.  

For many years, if people traveled internationally they contacted the local consulates of the countries that they would be visiting. The consulates would provide a list of vaccinations that were required to visit their country. The travelers would arrange with their personal doctor to get the vaccinations and the paperwork required before their trip began. The airlines would check the paperwork before permitting you to get on the plane - just like your passport. No big deal. No freedoms lost. Everybody's health was protected.

I wish that Airbnb would give us the option require proof of vaccination if they want to book. Most of my people come from the states and there is no such requirement to have proof before you come to California. Perhaps there is in Hawaii? 

I sent them feedback to this end. I’m hoping more people do the same. It would solve the asking for proof of vaccination after they have already booked and then the time drag to get it to us. Plus it clears any negative “vibes” if the guest didn’t see the notice. It’s amazing how people don’t read these things.

@David-And-Kevin0 

@Joe527 

(Hope you saw my reply below). I also put a picture of MY vaccination card in my listing photos (with my last name covered) to be transparent.  

@Joe527 I looked at your pics.....I understand you posting your card/photo of your vaccine card - it is reported by the news/CDC also said to Please do not put your vac card with the Numbers out there....that helps those forging vaccine cards - You might wanna just mark thru the numbers like your last name. Just sayin.....stay well

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

Unfortunately for many millions of people even getting vaccinated wont let us into the US. uK and Australia have used astra Zeneca and it’s not available for me anyway. The US has said only people with Pfizer or Moderna will be able to travel here. Honestly I think this whole thing stinks it is so unfair to so many people. If airbnb includes a vaccine badge where does that leave us who can’t get vaccines? I haven’t seen my 6 children in 2 years and I  believe I will never see them again

I think you have some bad information. Covid vaccines are not currently required to enter the US, but a negative test within 3 days of travel is required. 

There are no vaccination requirements for visitors to the United States, and US residents traveling abroad do not need any vaccines to reenter the United States.”

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/united-states

You are correct. However, for my own health and that of my friends and neighbors, we require Covid vaccination to rent our cottage.   

For many years, if people traveled internationally they contacted the local consulates of the countries that they would be visiting. The consulates would provide a list of vaccinations that were required to visit their country. The travelers would arrange with their personal doctor to get the vaccinations and the paperwork required before their trip began. The airlines would check the paperwork before permitting you to get on the plane - just like your passport. No big deal. No freedoms lost. Everybody's health was protected.

Certificate.jpg

Michelle2137
Level 4

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+the+us+recognise+astrazeneca&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS850US855&ei=x9QoYe...

Wow, well  it seems google here is telling us no one in the world will be accepted with astra zeneca. We never know we are so censored here and they're lying to us about everything. We can't travel anywhere without being vaccinated. We still don't have vaccines available in our area, and we've now been locked down for 2 months and not allowed to leave our homes or travel more than 3 miles to buy food. We will be locked down to the end of the year but who knows when travel will even be possible.

At this point I have closed my airbnb permanently. I will probably sell my house because it was my only income and there are no jobs anywhere now, most businesses have gone out of business.

Michelle2137
Level 4

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+the+us+recognise+astrazeneca&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS850US855&ei=x9QoYe...

Wow, well  it seems google here is telling us no one in the world will be accepted with astra zeneca. We never know we are so censored here and they're lying to us about everything. We can't travel anywhere without being vaccinated. We still don't have vaccines available in our area, and we've now been locked down for 2 months and not allowed to leave our homes or travel more than 3 miles to buy food. We will be locked down to the end of the year but who knows when travel will even be possible.

At this point I have closed my airbnb permanently. I will probably sell my house because it was my only income and there are no jobs anywhere now, most businesses have gone out of business.

I'm unsure if we should believe this news release. I've been heavily involved  in the travel business since 1975. I've not heard of this group before, and some of what they say is factually wrong. It is not the CDC that approves vaccines in the USA. It is the FDA.

Whoever it is I know Canadians at the moment cannot travel with combinations shots or astra either most of England and Europe have used astra. I read an aeticle just 3 days ago about a group that had to cancel for the 3 rd time. It’s such a mess, so many inconsistencies and rules are changing day to day 

Yes @Michelle2137  and some of us are aware of pending Green Passes, Covid Passports etc

We never used to have to carry around our Plunket Books which contained our childhood vaccines, a scheme that the widely known and respected Truby King set up for the people of New Zealand's betterment in era 1920's - same era after 1918-1919 Epidemic in vastly different sanitation eras.

That's really sad to read about your not being able to see your family, there's nothing like a hug, the smells and love of loved ones in one's arms and presence.

Patricia2834
Level 2
Marietta, OH

This is a very interesting discussion.  I live in a state that has rescinded all COVID regulations.  I had closed my AirBnB listing last November when acquiring sanitizers became impossible and I could not comply with the "enhanced cleaning protocol" 

I reopened it last week and now the rate of hospitalizations has spiked in my area.  Additionally, I have my own health issues that increase my risk.  Oh Me, Oh My what to do, what to do. 

I have only been actively hosting for about 7 months all together and I have not been able to clear a cent of profit yet.  At this point, I am greeting my guests on my porch and directing them the entrance.  After staying in an AirBnB with contactless check-in a month ago, I learned some things and updated my Welcome Book so that it covers most issues.  So far it has allowed me to keep my distance outside the building.