HOA restrictions

Mathew116
Level 2
Needville, TX

HOA restrictions

Dear Community,

I reside in Texas and have listed my property on Airbnb for the past couple of months. The property falls under the jurisdiction of a Homeowners Association (HOA). Soon after listing, the property received a five-star review. However, I recently received a message via Airbnb chat from the HOA stating that it violates HOA rules and must be immediately removed from Airbnb or similar platforms.

In response to this, I thoroughly reviewed the HOA guidelines, but found no mention of short-term or long-term rentals being prohibited. When I spoke with a representative over the phone, they indicated that there were no explicit rental restrictions but did mention prohibitions on "business or commercial activities of any nature."

I have requested the HOA to provide a written violation notice highlighting the specific rental restrictions and am currently awaiting their response. In my further research, I came across court rulings in Texas where the Texas Supreme Court has supported short-term renters, offering a favorable outcome to homeowners using platforms like Airbnb and HomeAway.

While some HOA rules explicitly state that short-term rentals are not allowed, my specific HOA guidelines do not provide clear guidance on this matter. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions on how to proceed with this situation.

Thank you,

Matt

1 Reply 1

@Mathew116 

Re-reading your letter here, my best recommendation would be to play it safest and consult professional legal advice. Best of luck!