Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

Answered!
Bo13
Level 1
Boston, MA

Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

A tenant slipped on icy steps in front of my property and hurt her leg.

She will go see her doctor soon to check on the inflammation. Of course she wants me to pay for any expenses. I read through the Host Protection Insurance summary and it looks like this situation is covered.

However, I've read so many stories here about the HPI being a sham. Should I tell her to file a claim now at https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form? 

1 Best Answer

My story is like yours. I finally got Airbnb to sent me this link. https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form

Note the words in the link read "insurance form". I haven't filed the info. yet, but in case you want to.

Secondly, we need to file a class-action lawsuit. All of us with stories, experience, etc. Somewhere there has to be a lawyer unafraid enough to help.

View Best Answer in original post

59 Replies 59

Link goes nowhere. 

Where to start...

My guess is that most people you would speak to when calling AirBB have never come across a Liability claim, most may have dealt with Host Guarantee issues.

Unlike the HG it does say the Liability aspect is Insurance, makes me wonder how they front it, many countries have rules and regulations that would amongst other thing require a local Policy to be issued, and often the Policy would be subject to taxes and fees.

I doubt it is conventionally arranged, unlikely AirBnB pay an annual premium, many ways thay it could be done but that is not really important to the issue at hand.

This of course all assumes they are playing by the rules.... But to answer the question there should be an Insurer and Policy Number for any Country it applies in. It is not an alternative to your own cover but better than nothing for those who have nothing.

David

Hi folks

airbnb offers no insurance

what so  ever.

it is important to read through the host guarantee document 

re written in January 2019

in it 

it explicitly says

” not insurance”

it can assist if they wish to

or not -depending on the whim

they can offer funds

and request them back

”at any point in the future”

it is essential to share outcome stories to the community

in a nutshell

my experience

i live in my home and rented  large upper floor bedroom

guest flooded second floor bathroom /kitchen

and did a runner 

I came home Christmas Eve to about 70,000 worth of damage

after initial response

air bnb wouldn’t take phone calls 

Bounced e mails

mid February 2019

two months later

an adjuster sent

paid out 3,720

i

i am losing my home

Bo13
Level 1
Boston, MA

UPDATE

A few days after I filed the claim, I received a call from an assigned claims handler from Crawford & Company. We scheduled an appointment in which he took some photos of the scene of the accident and audio recorded my account of the situation. It was almost like giving a deposition. I later learned that he already talked with my tenant earlier and got her side of the story. Now it is up to the powers that be at Airbnb make a judgment. That was 15 days ago and I haven't heard anything from anyone since.

Leslie112
Level 2
Castalian Springs, TN

Thank you Cynthia & Chris and David for your honesty, good advice and link to the Host Protection Insurance Summary. Bo, thank you for the update, especially that there really is an insuring company where you live. That alone makes the info from the customer support person false.

I've tried now for three weeks to get liability insurance from several companies. I explain what I'm doing and they say they'll get back. After calling them three times with no return call, I move on to another one. If I don't get insured soon, I'm going to have to pull my listing.

Bo, I'm going to follow this thread. Would you please keep us informed as things progress?

What has happened since?

Haven't heard a peep from anybody but I assume everything's been resolved between the insurance company and my tenant.

And then what happened?

Would like to know about this as well. 

Francois70
Level 1
Paris, France

Hello - I need some help.

In August we rent a property with a swimmig pool shared by an estate with other houses. In Mykonos.

There was a hole around the swimming pool, due to missing tile. No protection. No cover. No panel to cover it. No billboard to keep people away fromn this hole, deep as around 1m.

Regretably, I made a fall into it. Result: emergency surgery on my leg in local clinic. Vacations ruined. Repeated visits to the clinic. Back to France, 2 months of treatment.

Been in contact with landlord. He asked for medical receipts. Which I provided. Then he asked me for what i wanted. 

I asked to the landlord for a. reimbursement of medical expenses. b. compensation/indemnity for ruining my holidays, as it is a result of his/the estate negligence to fail covering the hole. Ever since news. even threatening him of legal action.

Q: can you please blacklist this landlord?

Q: how can you help me.

thank you so much. François [Email address hidden]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Francois70

Sorry to hear what happened

You should either have claimed 

a) on your travel insurance

b) the estates insurance

c) Airbnb's liability insurance (but not sure whether this would be relevant for a shared facility)

Why haven't you done this? This is four months ago. Unfortunately I think you might  be out of time on your claim as you should have notified your travel insurance or the other insurance companies listed immediately.

I presume you contacted Airbnb at the time to advise them - what did they say?

Hi @Helen3 

I agree with you. Guests should understand  - as well as hosts - that there's a protocol to be followed for injuries. That doesn't mean going to the jugular of the homeowner. Travel insurance and Airbnb insurance is as much as most travellers will be covered by going into an Airbnb rental. It's not a hotel. The few hosts that I know who do have their own personal injury insurance consider it as backup, and most don't have it at all. It's important for guests to have travel insurance if they are booking anything overseas (flights, transit, homes). There is a profound responsibility on the guests to do so.

You seem to want to share expertise but your reply is not helpful in any aspect. First of all, not everyone is on vacation. Especially in a city like NY one may use an Airbnb when popping in to visit a friend, relative, or get some work done (peace, quiet, wifi & coffee). Penn Station closes at night, and I missed my bus, so it was off to see the wonderful wizard of Airbnb. No one has "travel insurance" for a quick trip.

Airbnb, and hosts gladly shuffle me in at a time  like this. People, human beings, who suffer injury to their person need and deserve coverage.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Give it to Airbnb and explained to them about your concen

there was a 1b meter hole where a tile was? whatvwas tghe tile cemented to?...that must have been missing too