Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

Answered!
Bo13
Level 1
Boston, MA

Insurance Claim for personal Injury to Guest

A tenant slipped on icy steps in front of my property and hurt her leg.

She will go see her doctor soon to check on the inflammation. Of course she wants me to pay for any expenses. I read through the Host Protection Insurance summary and it looks like this situation is covered.

However, I've read so many stories here about the HPI being a sham. Should I tell her to file a claim now at https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form? 

1 Best Answer

My story is like yours. I finally got Airbnb to sent me this link. https://www.airbnb.com/insurance/form

Note the words in the link read "insurance form". I haven't filed the info. yet, but in case you want to.

Secondly, we need to file a class-action lawsuit. All of us with stories, experience, etc. Somewhere there has to be a lawyer unafraid enough to help.

View Best Answer in original post

62 Replies 62

there was a 1b meter hole where a tile was? whatvwas tghe tile cemented to?...that must have been missing too

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Francois70

I am not going to comment on the legalities as there is insufficient information, I could see some of those costs you mention would be covered by Travel Insurance, otherwise sounds like you need legal representation in the country concerned, Greece?

David
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Good to know and thank you for sharing My Dad and Mom told me always cheack the property even tho s&b cleaning services inc  does the cleaning in front of the building is always good to cheack now that winter is coming we are going to put warning sings because there are those who don't like to clean in front of there building you know what I mean thank you for sharing that's what makes a host so great as will as guest

Heidi183
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi,

I actually got hurt while renting an airbnb as a guest. I shattered my ankle after falling down a set of stairs. I am left with a bad leg and 100K in non covered medical bills. I'd like to know how I an file a claim. I contacted airbnb...they said there was nothing they could do.

@Heidi183

I am sorry to hear about your accident, how did this happen? Did you trip on something?

David

I did contact airbnb right away. They told me not their problem.

@Heidi183

They may be right, they may be wrong, but without knowing how it happened it impossible to comment further.

David

David,

It is a four story house with 5 internal wood staircases. The floors and stairs were very slick. As I was walking down one of the sets of stairs one of the mornings we were there, my foot skidded, i slipped, fell down half the flight of stairs. Broke my ankle in several places. Needed emergency surgery while on vacation. Got metal plates and 13 screws  I'm left with huge medical bills and an lifetime  ankle injury  

There was one hand rail. I wasn't able to save myself from falling. My medical insurance won't cover my bills as I was out of network  still fighting that  

It's a nightmare  

Thanks for asking:-)

@Heidi183

You need a peronal injury lawyer, you need to show that you accident was a result of the negligence of the property owner, this is not something you can do yourself.

The Insurance provided by AirBnB relates to the Hosts legal liability, it is not Medical insurance where they just pay up.

David

David,

can you explain what steps hosts need to take to make sure when guests fall, it’s not at the negligence of the hosts? I have rails at all my steps, is that enough? 

Thanks!

Heidi, you should file a claim against the host of the property and with AIRbnb.  Keep calling Airbnb customer care number.  Do not give up.  Airbnb must respond.  Also, very important to file a claim through the Host.  Call the Host through the site you booked on, follow with a certified letter to host.  ask for his homeowners insurance info including the policy number.    Make notes of of every thing.  Get pictures of your injury.  Did you get pictures of accident site?  Are there witnesses - get their statement - now.  If you were injured on a host property, you have a claim,  and Airbnb will investigate that claim. keep us updated.

Why does everyone want to sue someone when they get hurt anymore? I have been hurt and never wanted to sue. Were all grown ups we can decide what we should or shouldnt do, what we should or shouldnt walk on to keep ourselves safe and so on. Now if someone setup a booby trap in their house thats one thing, but geez. This world has got kinda crazy with this whole I fell and I need to sue. Its steps...be careful! Taught that when you are 3 years old.

@Joe630 could not agree with you more. It seems there was a handrail in place. And what does it mean that steps were "slick"? Unless coated with grease, this seems like it's going way too far.

Exactly! Pick up your feet, watch where you are going and don't goof around on the stairs! All things we learn as kids...

Thembi9
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Joe630, this is sooo true! Accidents happen, unintentionally … that’s why they are accidents. I don’t see how any host could go out there and set up boobie traps for guests; what do they gain? So when accidents happen, people should focus on getting medical help and getting better; not chasing 100K lawsuits which even when won won’t replace your broken leg or make you any better. When you fall in your own house(which happens), do you  sue? How about on the road while walking? Come on people, let’s be humane! Let’s not make life difficult for each other and miss out on beautiful experience all because of money. Most hosts open their homes to guests, out of love;  despite the risks of bringing in strangers  into your space, bad reviews, getting fined by the building management because guests didn’t adhere to the conduct rules, etc.

Check out this link where people share why they love being hosts:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-is-your-favorite-thing-about-being-a-host/m-p/70698...

So let’s NOT spoil a good thing going here!