New hosting ideas?

Ashley1441
Level 2
Houston, TX

New hosting ideas?

I am new to hosting and have been struggling to get many bookings in the last few months. I wanted to know any tips or ideas I can add to my airbnb to attract guest to my listing? 

My listing is a 3br townhouse in Houston,Tx just for context. 

9 Replies 9
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ashley1441 

It's tough. I see you have taken on board some of the suggestions from when you posted previously. Your listing looks great and I assume you have checked that your pricing is in line with the competition.

The thing is, since Airbnb launched its 'summer release' back in early May, a lot of hosts are really struggling to get views and bookings. 

Since I started hosting in my current house back in 2016 (also briefly hosted another place in 2012), I've pretty much consistently been fully booked. Of course, the pandemic had an effect, particularly lock downs and travel restrictions, but still, I've never experienced lower interest/bookings than I have since May and I am certainly not alone. Just have a look on this forum and you will see numerous posts from hosts asking the same questions as you.

Not sure what else to suggest. I suspect you are a victim of the same thing as me, i.e. Airbnb screwing up the platform for thousands of hosts. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it is right now and you have been unlucky to launch your listing at this time. Maybe have a look at alternative booking platforms.

Yeah I understand. Thank you again! 

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Ashley1441 

1. Your prices are WAY TOO HIGH
  2. You also require a 3-night stay (OMG <<< really?!?!?!)
  3. There's exactly NOTHING special about your listing

Don't take this the wrong way, but who do you think you are?  3-night minimum?  2 types of hosts can demand 3-night minimums: hosts that have the top 0.0000001% listings globally with hundreds of reviews and a 4.99 review profile, and hosts that don't care about actually being booked.  You are behaving like the latter.

It also appears you trashed your 1-month "New Listing" SEO boost by asking way above market rates for your mediocre place (along with the aforementioned 3-night minimum).  This isn't about Summer Release.  This is about you.  

I haven't even gotten started on your listing itself.  I would call this a "middle of the road" listing at the absolute best.  These are the types of listings that Airbnb doesn't care about anymore!  You have zero amenities (hot tub, pool, outdoor space, game room).  It has shared walls being a townhome!  It's in a mediocre market (Houston) with FREAKING LOADS of competition!  There's exactly nothing about it that says anything beyond "here's a fine/clean place to stay."  What makes you think you can charge as much as you're charging and requiring 3-night stays for what you're offering?  Like, are you serious? 

I mean, it's a cute little spot. . .  But you've got THOUSANDS of listings you're competing with in Houston!  Ones that are better and cheaper!  Why would anyone book you?  

You've done a handful of things right.  Pictures fine, copy fine, design choices fine.  But you have a LONG way to go if you really, I mean really, want to succeed.  

I would shut down this listing and start over.  Let's assume you can't improve your listing at all (no capital).  Then all you have left is price (and, obviously, get rid of that ridiculous 3-night minimum).  Then, list the place for $50/night.  Offer "free breakfast" (granola bars and oatmeal).  GET IT FILLED EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.  Learn how to be a good host.  Get some reviews.  Slowly ratchet up that price.  YOU HAVE TO EARN IT!

Bravo for coming on here and asking.  I want you to succeed.  But seriously?  3-night stay?  $180/night? For this place?   You're absolutely out of your mind.

Take the tough love and regroup.  This listing is borderline-dead or dead already.  

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

There is nothing at all wrong with a three night minimum stay. It is up to each host to decide what will work best for them. I have a four night minium in the low season and a week minimum the rest of the time, because that is how I want to live my life. Not everyone wants to fill their time with one-night stays and huge workloads and maximum profit.

Richard's advice and opinion is patronising, opinionated and unhelpful.

Agreed

I appreciate your advice and I will take SOME of it into consideration, but please learn to communicate your opinion better. Everyone wouldn’t appreciate how you went about expressing your feelings, but like I said I appreciate it and if you could take a look at it a little later today after I changed some things up. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Ashley1441 

Seems to me a lot of American host are suffering, but then again what are you offering? Maybe they were over priced in the first place.

Nobody likeS to drop their rates but we have to do it, we are charging less than we was 5 years ago, right now we are full and this is our low season we are already getting bookings for high season.

COVID absolutely battered Phuket, Zero business for 18 months, they closed the island down, closed the airport and at one stage we could only travel within a 6km radius of where we live, Curfew after 9 pm.

I dont know your market you have to do that, what would make people book your place? 

If you want weekend bookings then 2 nights would be better, well at least try it.

Try other platforms, like Trip Advisor and VRBO.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I meant to add, Change your profile photo, it's not clear who are looking at

Hello everybody,

what are the number ratings given to each poster? What are the ratings based on? Participation on chat threads, amount of bookings, reviews? I am very new here. Just listed my own home this month and hosting starts next month. I also have limited bookings to 1 week intervals. So far my place is available for only 5 weeks and I have a 2 week and a one week booking. I pay the cleaner 175/ for cleaning the whole house and doing the laundry and making beds and the auto price feature on my place prices it at $ 142 for an average night so I can’t afford to book just one night stays. I would lose money doing that. On nights close to Halloween it is pricing the place at 608/ night on the weekends and 142 on a Tuesday. At that price it might never book. However there are places in the same market charging over 1K per night around Halloween. We are in Salem MA US.