New to hosting

Answered!
Desiree220
Level 1
Ashburn, VA

New to hosting

Hi I have my 1st opportunity to host a home , will be putting listing on in a couple of weeks but need help on how to get started ? Looking for a mentor . thanks so much 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Desiree220 Ignore the doom merchants and naysayers. You will probably be fine. There is a superhost ambassador program that could help you alternatively just ask here for help.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Alex10403
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

First thing would be to ask yourself if you are prepared to handle people that take advantage of your kindness or when you give them the benefit of the doubt. Because if you aren't, then hosting could get old pretty quick. Also, you have to be prepared for people that just aren't going to be happy no matter what you do. Because you will get those people. Odds are the mental aspect and grind of hosting will have more of an effect than the physical grind will. 

Also, be prepared for Airbnb representatives to be awful at their job even when you are already dealing with a major problem and could use someone that's understanding and can help. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Desiree220 Ignore the doom merchants and naysayers. You will probably be fine. There is a superhost ambassador program that could help you alternatively just ask here for help.

Thank you so much I’ll definitely look into Ambassadors 🙏

Mike & Jane 

I have been looking online researching trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this . 

Do you all use any platforms for your managing the  process of bookings etc. I noticed there’s one called Guesty . 

Also finding cleaners if you cohost virtually like turnbnb ? 

for a vacant space getting it furnished do you advice ?

replenishing of linens do you deal with some kind of hospitality company ?

Thank you 🙏 

@Desiree220 

We only list on Airbnb so we don't need any channel managers or clever software as Airbnb does all that for us. Their user interface is good once you get used to it and tells you everything you need to know.

It sounds like you will be quite hands off with your place. As such you will need a co-host to organise/clean the place, welcome guests etc. Do not listen to co hosts who think they can manage from a different country (or even state). You need one local to the listing so they can sort out problems if they happen.

Depending on where you are some laundries will supply linen as well as washing/ironing it. 

Just be careful as by the time Airbnb takes its cut (about 15% of what the guest pays, a co host takes their 10-20% depending on if they are cleaning or not and you pay the utilities etc then there may not be much money left for you. It depends if you will charge $500 a night or $50!

Finally, before you start, just make sure Airbnb is allowed in your town and you have the proper insurances in place.

Good luck

AnnMarie68
Level 2
Township of Jackson, PA

I am new as well and trying to find the "Fire safety " rules I need to make sure I have done before my first guest.

@Desiree220  Its best if you list it, use all your details and only alert someone at your home or nearby to open and welcome guests if you haven't put in new technology devices "Access Locks/chat box". We only 3 months only and now managing 11 properties, but most revenues are generated on other platforms than airbnb. Do email *** or whatsapp *** would be happy to help and share knowledge.

Regards,

Lawrence

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]