Picky, picky picky... How do you handle THOSE nitpicking and/or demanding guests?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Picky, picky picky... How do you handle THOSE nitpicking and/or demanding guests?

Oh, so here we go again. I had a guest check in yesterday evening and I already have a bad feeling. Okay, so she hasn't said or done anything major, but it's only a day since she arrived and, already:

1. Asked some questions, but ignored my questions and then instant booked anyway.

2. Wanted to check in at 1am. My check in is from 3-9pm.

3. Agreed to check in the next day, but was vague about the time and seemed surprised that I would want to know. I asked her in that case to give me an hour's notice, to which she agreed. Instead, she messaged me 15 minutes before arrival.

4. Didn't mention to me prior to booking that she has an allergy to cats. I have three of them and clearly state in my house rules to not book if you are allergic.

5. Making comments about how many stairs there are to her room (not only on the listing but reiterated to her in the message thread before she booked).

5. Asking if she could keep her toiletries in the bathroom, to which I said yes, but then she wanted to put them in my personal cupboard, to which I said no. Now she wants me to provide an 'attractive' basket for them.

6. Complained that the WiFi in her room doesn't work properly and has disrupted her work meeting. WiFi is working fine for everyone else, but I go up to check and there are five bars. All seems to be working fine, but I reboot anyway.

7. When asked if the room was warm enough, said yes, but later said the radiators weren't working properly. When I asked if it was okay to go check them, suddenly she says they are working now. I literally haven't adjusted anything so that makes no sense.

8. Questions about the door handle on her bedroom door. She is having trouble using it.

9. Asking for 'communal' food items that are neither specified on my listing, nor shown to guests on the check in tour, when they are clearly shown which things are there for their use and told not to help themselves to other food.

10. There was also some miscommunication RE her work set up, which I am not totally comfortable with.

So, this is all small stuff (I have probably forgotten something), but has all happened prior to or within 24 hours of the guests arrival and she is here for one month. Normally I would have asked the guest by this stage if everything is okay with their stay, but I hardly need to as she is quite happy to find ways to keep me on my toes.

108 Replies 108

@Huma0    well, you can't fix stupid... or however that quote goes

and for the aggravation you're describing and the popularity you're describing sounds like you're due for a price bump

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

I am sure you are right. I did put them up slightly very recently, but probably not nearly enough. Even before the utility bills soared up yet again, I had notice that my local competition in my price range is pretty low quality. I definitely feel it's time for a more significant price bump. I have also just turned off IB for all my listings so I am a bit nervous about raising prices at the same time, but fortune favours the bold, or so they say...

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0 wrote:

, I had notice that my local competition in my price range is pretty low quality. I definitely feel it's time for a more significant price bump.  

@Huma0  here's the problem, do guests understand the quality difference? We have not much competition but the few we have, some are much higher quality than us and at least double the price, and some are lesser and just a smidge cheaper. I feel we are sitting in the right spot, esp for what we offer, but we do get dinged on Value the most. I guess people forget afterwards there was nowhere else to book that offered all that we do, and then perhaps compare what they paid to somewhere else? Not sure what goes on in their heads. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

Yes, it's a tricky spot to be in. From what I have seen, there is nowhere in my neighbourhood and price range that offers better value than my listings. Of course, I am biased, but I have tried to look at it objectively and, because I am often looking on behalf of a guest that I cannot accommodate (e.g. one that wants to extend or return but the dates are booked), I know there is little to recommend to them.

There are certainly places cheaper than mine but they are hardly comparable. Then there are places that are more similar, perhaps a bit better, but way more expensive. It's hard to compare. Most of the local listings fall into two price ranges, which are basic or more high end. Mine sits somewhere in between.

I did find one listing close to mine that was very similar, in that it was private rooms in a homeshare, period townhouse, decorated with a bit of character. It was maybe a bit more polished than mine, but on the other hand, I have more bathrooms for guests to use. The hosts were also Superhost with great reviews/ratings. I contacted them and have referred guests to them but not recently as their calendar has been blocked since the pandemic started. 

The first guests who stayed there loved it, and ended up giving it better ratings than they gave me, and I kind of felt I shot myself in the foot there by recommending a listing that was very similar but a little bit more polished than mine. What the guests seem to forget though was that the nightly price was almost DOUBLE what I charge, so it's hardly fair to compare like for like. Guests often don't have a very logical approach when it comes to assessing value.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

PS Would love to hear from any other hosts that have tried either tactic.

What do you do personally?

@Huma0

If I were you I would call every new roommate to the kitchen, show him his cabinet and his shelf in the fridge and say VERY CLEARLY AND SERIOUSLY: " This is your shelf in the fridge, this is your cabinet, here you can put your stuff and please don't use anything from other cabinets"

Putting a room number or even better a name on their cabinet is a very good idea.

Btw, in my mid-term rentals (1 month +) I don't provide anything, they should buy their own oil, salt, sugar... when they arrive.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 wrote:

@Huma0

If I were you I would call every new roommate to the kitchen, show him his cabinet and his shelf in the fridge and say VERY CLEARLY AND SERIOUSLY: " This is your shelf in the fridge, this is your cabinet, here you can put your stuff and please don't use anything from other cabinets"

That is actually exactly what I do. Each guest is allocated fridge space and cupboard space and told NOT to help themselves to other stuff. 

Perhaps I should change the listing/house rules so that it's clear that long term guests will not get supplies such as oil. I really don't mind providing the tea/coffee/sugar. In fact, Asian guests will often bring tea as a gift and I'm not a tea drinker so I might as well share it. I also don't mind the salt and pepper. Where it gets difficult is when guests A. Take this to mean they can help themselves to all condiments, finish them and then ask for more, when it's actually something they weren't supposed to use in the first place, and B. Start asking me for specific types of sugar or oil or whatever.

One thing I am very specific about is that guests must buy their own laundry detergent. Even then, some of them seem surprised/put out about it.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0 
We have a room off the kitchen that has the pantry, another cupboard that used to have the kettle, toaster and microwave (until a guest told me after her stay we really should have those things), and stairs down to a wine cellar. We originally used to show guests this and allocate them space in the pantry but decided it was too confusing, so now we let them leave their items out on a bench (our kitchen is very large, it's fine). 

Yesterday my daughter said that a house guest had helped themselves to some of her cereal and a pop tart, which means they had gone into this other room, and then had to close the door so they could access one end of the pantry doors. They would have been doing some serious snooping and surely knew this wasn't part of their own supplies. 

Very odd behaviour! after all, she would 100% know they had done this.  perhaps the pop tarts were just too tempting? they aren't a common product here in Australia. I'd actually bought them when I was last down in Adelaide and we went to Costco, and was supposed to bring them back home for my other teenager and i forgot. The other thing about them is that they leave a very strong (and delicious) smell of baked biscuit in your kitchen. hard to miss. 

Mauricia2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Mauricia2 @Huma0

I've have a similar guest he started from January and has been returning weekly however he books 3 days each week and they are check in Wednesday's. In the first week he asked to make a deal out of airbnb platform which I refused he said he wasn't going to rebook after his  stay however his been coming back continuously. He wasn't able to book  for two weeks in march  because of availability but he was keeping an eye out as soon my calendar had availability he's back booking and well in advance. I have increased my price so he's up coming trip had to be book on the revised figure. Although he said to me that he will be booking more days because of increased days at his work it appeared  this new booking is 4 olney 2-days. Anyway,I was already deciding after this booking I was going to block him to free up my calendar giving  myself a break  from him because as you've said about your other guest is not that he is is irritating everyday there is is sort of a slight uncomfortableness from  when I didn't agree the deal. he tries to justify that he's not using much stuff and goes to work early and return late therefore not using many of the amenities that justifies reducing or wanting to pay less. Anyway I did not block him back then  advised him  that he booked through airbnb whenever there is availability. I have been polite but limiting conversations. When he came last week he said to me that he's increasing his work and he will be booking more days . I told him once he does it through airbnb. however to be honest I was going to block him because I need a break from him. However, I believe when he went to book for week coming he has realised that the room price has increased so he therefore only booked 2 days. I am actually blocking him anyway after this last booking to have a break from him and to free up my calendar.  He came to me on  Friday  complaining that his room was cold. The radiators were only warm during the night I  told him  the heating is on all through the night however the heating regulates through the night he the thermostat was only 19c it appeared he creeps aroundv during the night checking the thermostat. I've got Air Source Hybrid heat system not the Combi gas system works differently also has a smart metre so the heating regulates as it goes along. So I guess he's turning up the thermostat in the night. But I told him 19 through the night and being in bed should should be comfortable enough but what I've noticed is is he complains when when he's trying to to justify getting full value for his  payment. He done exactly thar when I refused to take cash from him,he did complained the next day about cold room. He's been there since January for all the very cold spells never complained. The guest that was there last week for 8 days used the same room and after she left I realise that she was closing the radiator as she was to warm,yet he's complaining  his  cold when we are now in the warmer time of the year. I reminded him that  the first week came and tried to make a deal with me which I refused and stated that he wasn't going to come back to

re-book after he checkout but he's is still rebooking why? therefore if he's not happy he can cancel his  outstanding booking and I don't care for his money he said I was being rude. So I reminded him it's my home my rules and care for my guest to be comfortable however he doesn't seem like he's happy  so he should cancel . He said he doesn't want to cancel. I informed airbnb about the situation and tell them that I'm happy if he request cancellation and and he can have a full refund. He had the cheek to say to me that I was being rude.where I reminded him from the first week he came into my house he disrespected me' by offering me cash and and at what he think he should pay . He will be back on Tuesday will be very interesting to see how his 2-days goes and his intentions, I will be blocking him forever.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mauricia2 

Yes, absolutely I can see why you would want to block this guest. You should go ahead and do so. It's not great when a guest makes you feel uncomfortable or keeps trying to haggle about the price but, at least you know they will soon be gone and you don't need to deal with them again. 

A repeat guest, that comes back on a regular basis needs to be someone that you get on very well with and are really happy to have in your home (I have one of those and I now consider her a friend. She has never once questioned me on price, so I give her additional discounts just because I want to).

Personally, I don't have the heating on overnight unless we have a cold snap and sure, some guests complain about that, but it's clearly stated in my listing. It's well documented that it's not healthy to sleep with the heating on and certainly not in an overheated room. I think 19 degrees at night in London (outside of unusual cold snaps) is perfectly adequate.

Your guest I am sure would also drive me mad.

Mauricia2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Interesting, today I now got a guest book for one night she's a Doctor, the weather temperature is similar to last week she said to me  that she has closed the radiator in the room because it's to warm.  The regular guest will be back tomorrow his a dental surgeon booked for 2 nights. So I told her to mention it in her review pointing out the room is warm and not cold. I really don't understand what's his motive but I'm definitely blocking him after his booking.

Another host gave him a bad review the week he couldn't get reservations at my place. Stating he knew he was I'll yet came to her place causing her lack of sleep and income. This guest choose to book my place but tries to make me uncomfortable in my  home.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Huma0 I am handling them by selling my property and leaving ABB....

Honestly I have had enough. We had an average of 6.5 stays per month last year and I am burnt out. At first shorter stays was the remedy for picky guests- they would be gone soon so you just grin and bear it. Picky guests were not the norm. Now they seem to be the majority and laid back guests are few and far between. 

When you have a day job that is mostly emotional labor and a side business that is also high touch with its own share of picky and anxious customers, there just gets to be a tipping point. I found mine with a guest who shot animals on our property and then complained about our curtains not giving him enough privacy and the fact that he couldn't get the heat to work in January when the windows were open from his smoking (not allowed....)

We have the luxury of selling at a nice profit. Though our long term plans were to keep the place,  ultimately we decided the juice of a once a month weekend in our cottage was not worth the squeeze of the "new normal" guest attitudes for the indefinite future. It is a necessity for us to check between each and every stay, so having cleaners with chronic, worsening health issues also doesn't help. The "checks" have turned into "cleaning for an additional 2 hours twice a week" to maintain the standard of cleanliness that would be worthy of an operating theatre. Yet, despite those heroic efforts, we still get guests who give feedback that there was dust far under a bottom shelf in a corner of the utility room. 

Enough is enough. Perhaps other hosts are better suited or have less  demanding guest populations. If I ever return to this platform it will only be as an owner (and decorator) of a space. I will hire a manager and cleaner and be totally hands off. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mauricia2 @Laura2592 @Gillian166 @Helen744 @Mark116 @Lenore22 @Christine615 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Gordon0 @Kelly149 @Mauricia2 

So the guest who originally prompted this post came and went. She completed her stay and things generally got easier after the first few days once she settled in, although there were still a few incidents, niggles and comments etc. on top of the things I already mentioned.

Now it's time to review. She's left one for me and time is now running out. I only really have a day left to leave mine for her. For some reason, I am at a bit of a loss RE what to say. Overall, she wasn't a really bad guest. There is just something about the whole stay that I feel a bit uncomfortable about.

As for her review, I strongly suspect she has left me 4 stars with some positive and negative comments, but it could go either way. She just seems like the type to nit-pick even if it's about non issues (like the WiFi or heating apparently not working and then turning out to be fine when I checked and apparently no more issues with either for the rest of the stay). Despite her cat allergy, she ended up letting the cat sleep in her bed, after saying they shouldn't come in her room, so that's odd, but okay. She seemed to bond with the cats and even fed them a couple of times while I was away.

What I mean is that I somehow want my review to reflect my experience of hosting this guest but without making it a huge deal as I reckon most hosts would be fine with her (she has lots of 5* reviews but the reviews she leaves for hosts are varied). How do I warn the hosts that wouldn't be? How does one say "picky" or "demanding" politely?

Or, I could just not mention anything in the review and just reflect it in the ratings, but is that helpful to other hosts?

@Huma0 Guest reviews are averaged such that even a 1* amongst other normal reviews doesn’t register. Make the stars be what you want & don’t stress too much about what you say. It could be as generic as “xxxx had many questions & complaints, so I hope our many efforts to please her benefited her stay in London”

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

Thank you. Yes, I am thinking about keeping the review quite generic and knocking off some stars in the ratings where appropriate. The guest was definitely communicative during her stay (in good and bad ways) but her failure to respond to my very clear questions and then IBing anyway to me is not great communication. So, that's points off in that category.