Price Increase after I book?

Answered!
Kelly170
Level 2
Middle River, MD

Price Increase after I book?

I made my 5th reservation today on the site.

However about 2 hours after I get an increase booking price thing from the host. I declined because she was $150+ more for 3 nights and claimed airbnb had the wrong price for her summer rates.

When I declined she asked me to cancel my reservation and wished me the best in finding a new place. I  beyond mad right now. What is my recourse? If I cancel I will be charged a fee through no fault of my own and my money is tied up 3-5 days for this nonsense. 

1 Best Answer

@Kelly170  Like @Wendy-and-Frank0 said, do not cancel.  This host is trying to strong-arm you.  You won't receive your Airbnb service fees back if you cancel.  I would again tell the host that you will NOT cancel and since SHE wants to cancel the booking, SHE needs to do it from her end.  OR she can, obviously, keep the booking as-is. 

Personally, I would just wait out the host and make her cave first, but if you just want to be done with the situation, you can Contact Airbnb and they will review your messages and mostly likely cancel on the host's behalf and you will get a full refund.  But at the same time, the host likely won't be penalized either and, in this case, I would want the host to feel the burn of her mistake. (But that's just me)

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60

@Marcos-And-Victoria0  You aren't alone in running up against Airbnb's abysmal customer service- it happens to guests and hosts alike, and it's shameful. 

But as I understand what you have explained here, this property was sold and there are new owners. It's not clear to me if the same property management company that was dealing with it before is still managing for the new owners? 

The thing is, Airbnb can't force a host to honor a price, nor can they prevent any user from cancelling a reservation, be it from the guest  or host side. There are penalties  levied against hosts for cancelling, specifically because it will inconvenience the guest. 

I'm not sure what you expected Airbnb to do, exactly, except reimburse you the additional $4000? Are you under the impression that Airbnb owns and runs the rental properties? All they are really, is a listing service. 

Don't get me wrong, this was a really bad thing that happened to you and either the previous owners or the prroperty management company bears the responsibility. The new owners could have agreed to honor the original price, but they aren't  the ones responsible for cancelling your original booking and just because they bought the place doesn't mean they are being disrespectful by asking a higher price. All they did was buy a property-you can't sell or buy an Airbnb business, because none of it is transferable- they could choose to keep running it as an Airbnb, or not, using the property exclusively for themselves. The way you were screwed around was not their doing.