Service Animals VS Pets

Answered!
Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

Service Animals VS Pets

I used to list my space as being accepting pets with a fee. I’ve ceased listing my room as ‘pet -friendly with a fee,’ due to the fact that, the majority of the ‘pet’ inquiries where people who’s expectation was that the pet would stay for FREE because they claimed, ‘service animal.’

When I asked these potential guests to provide the proper documentation for a service animal; no one could provide the proper ADA paperwork that certified their animals as a ‘service animal.’

Again, at the time, the listing did accept pets with an added fee. These people did not want to pay the fee. 

Recently, the Arizona state legislature pass a law that clearly states representing a ‘pet’ as a ‘service animal’ is fraud. And, can be charged and prosecuted as fraud. This was a reaction to the number of folks presenting pets as service animals. And, business owners frustration with the situation.

The county I live in provides this sign for business owners and training on the new law. 

I understand that I am required to follow ADA guidelines. I am happy to follow ADA Service Dog Guidelines. I am happy to accept a pet with an extra fee. (Though I no longer list my room as accepting pets, because I got tired of the pet represented as a service dog situation.)

If Airbnb could help and have a ‘certification of service dog’ included in the App. Just like a driver’s license, an authentic service dog has documentation that can be certified. 

Please, help me as a host, respect the law of my country and state by providing a place in the app for guests to certify their legitimate service animals. And, I will happily accept the service animal without an added fee. 

(heck, you could even add a place where hosts review the animal.)

D522F468-E602-4B57-9182-41631E661D55.jpeg

1 Best Answer

I can’t speak for Germany but in the US that’s exactly what insurance, protection from liability. Also, there is no blanket training for emotional support animals.

Diane

View Best Answer in original post

74 Replies 74

There are many cultural differences between Germany and America on pets. Many countries think that the American attitude on pets is, daft. 

Have you seen Simon Whistlers YouTube video on, ‘Rabies’ ?

If a dog with rabies bites you, it’s 100% fatal. We still don’t have a cure for rabies. 

You have dismissed my concerns and the concerns of other hosts as a, ‘nonissue.’

Correct, authentic service animals receive YEARS of specific behavior training. Fraudulent service animals do not receive any specific behavioral training. 

So it’s ok for these dogs to come in our homes where our kids are allergic and leave mounds of dog hair on every square inch of my newly renovated home? Guests aren’t respectful and taking advantage 

Proper coverage does not help in all situations. It's not always about money. Just something to consider. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2714  "Many countries think that the American attitude on pets is, daft. "

That is most definitely true. The coddling and anthropomorphizing of pets, calling them "fur babies", putting little pink bows in their fur, referring to oneself as the dog's "mommy", thinking Fido should be welcome everywhere, and so on, seems ridiculous to those in other cultures.

Here in Mexico, dogs tend to wander about on their own. They know where they live and get fed and come and go. 

On ex-pat forums here, do-gooder retirees will post "found dog" ads, asking if anyone wants to adopt the dog they "found", as they can't keep it. 

Others who understand the culture, including those who work in animal rescue programs, will answer, telling them that unless the dog was found injured, obviously ill, starving, or running around disoriented and frantic, as if it is lost, to take it back to where they "found" it. It is no doubt someone's dog and it knows its way home. 

Hi Laura and all,

Thank you for all this great feedback on your experiences with pets and service animals. I completely understand your perspective and realize that we may need more documentations around ADA and service animal guidelines. I will make sure to pass on your thoughts and ideas on the matter to our teams and continue to keep you and our community updated here in the Community Centre.

Kindly,

Catherine

@Laura2714 @Diane1188 @Mark116 @Anonymous @Sarah977 @Emilia42 @Lorna170 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Catherine-Powell I don't know if you will see this, but I don't believe the issue is the ADA.  The problem that hosts have is that Airbnb has chosen to go far above the ADA and mandate that service animals--trained for a task, carefully selected for temperament, etc. are classed by Airbnb as the same as 'emotional support animals' which are very, very often just people's pets.

Service animals are well trained, you would never find a service animal that would bark all day, claw and damage furniture and finishes or go to the bathroom inside the house.  A real service animal is also going to be always with the handler, not left in the property alone for hours on end.

"Emotional support animals" don't have tasks or skills, and they have been documented to do all of the above.

The easiest fix would be for Airbnb to continue to mandate that barring the already outlined set of circumstances, that service animals must be accommodated, but that 'emotional support animals' are at the discretion of the host.  I know you will not do this, but here is the problem, that emotional support animals much of the time are just people's pets and they want to travel with them to no pet properties and not pay a fee.

@Catherine-Powell As Mark said, ALL Airbnb would need to do is follow ADA guidelines and nothing more. Airbnb needs to stop inventing its own rules around this matter. Sounds simple to me.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that our policy has been updated to honour your concerns in regards to emotional support animals, giving you more control over pet fees. You can find more information here. 

Thanks you again for all the feedback. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Ben-and-Molly1
Level 2
Louisville, KY

I’ve been told about a guest having a “service dog” after they’ve booked and given check in instructions. Then I’m trapped!!! So these dogs come in our home where our kids are allergic and leave mounds of dog hair on every square inch of my newly renovated home? Guests aren’t respectful and taking advantage of us. I’m so upset!!!!! I’ve been a host for 8 years 

@Ben-and-Molly1  I see you have 3 listings which are "entire homes". So how are guests coming in your own home where your kids are allergic? Do you stay at these homes yourself?

We have a basement apartment. We also have a backhouse and I have to clean with my ten week old strapped to me. I love pets but being a place that doesn’t allow pets then now we get flooded with guests who have service dogs and the dogs sleep in our brand new bed and on our white couch. It’s very discouraging 

@Ben-and-Molly1  Thanks for the explanation. I have a private room listing in my home and as such, I can state that I don't allow any pets, including service animals. 

If the basement apartment shares a heating system with the main house where you live, I think you can state no animals and explain the allergy issue. And of course I agree that a host who does their own cleaning should be exempt from accepting service animals if they have allergies.

I have no allergies and have been a dog owner most of my life, but my dogs have never been allowed on furniture, have never relieved themselves indoors, have never chewed things up or damaaged anything. But I know there are plenty of pet owners who don't have well trained dogs and let Fluffy sleep in bed with them, so I don't want guests bringing pets.

A true, trained service dog, I could accept. 

Alan1260
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Frankly, I think the 2 questions about a service animal that Airbnb policy allows are way too intrusive and are not lawful.  A host just needs to reliably know that an animal really is a service animal, not exactly what kind of service the animal provides.  The "reliable knowing" must be more than a guest's declaration that the animal is a service animal.  The Airbnb policy does not seem to explicitly allow a host to ask for ADA documentation or even other documentation to "reliably know".  As one poster mentioned this lying about service animals is getting so out of hand that Arizona passed a law that such false claims constitute fraud.  When one of my guests did not provide any documentation that their animal was a service animal, they apparently filed a complaint when I treated it like a pet and asked for a hefty deposit rather than invoke my rule of no pets.  My listing was shut down without allowing me to even tell my side of what happened.  A truly bad experience when all my other Support experiences have been top notch.