Slow bookings and more cancellations

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Slow bookings and more cancellations

This year has seen our bookings slow down. We almost never had cancellations in the first few years of hosting and I am seeing those increase too. 

I had a somewhat odd stay from a Sunday through Tuesday that blocked a weekend (we need a day before and after to clean) cancel this morning. I will see if that weekend will book-- still kind of annoyed that that particular stay canceled as I am sure we would have had that weekend gone. 

Anyone else seeing a slow down in bookings/increase in cancellations?

22 Replies 22
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

I'm not seeing a slow down in bookings at the moment. In fact, the last few months have been busier than the previous few months, but still not as busy as pre-pandemic levels.

Booking requests/enquiries have pretty much stopped the past couple of weeks, but then all my rooms are booked up for the next few months, one until mid-March, another until early April and the third until early August. I've also turned off IB for the third room.

That's not to say I've received loads of bookings but, as I host long term, the rooms are booked ahead as they would have been pre-pandemic.

What I have definitely noticed is lots of cancellations and also quite significant date changes, which was pretty unusual before. Most of these are COVID related in some way, but others are not. I think it's just that these days people's plans are so up in the air. The pandemic is not just affecting travel plans, it has changed the way a lot of people live and also possibly the way they plan (i.e. not necessarily very far ahead). It's just a weird time.

Of the bookings I have coming up, I would not be at all surprised if some of them cancel or change their dates. Of the three rooms, which are currently all reserved, only one is occupied. The guests in the other two rooms have delayed their stays and I'm still not 100% sure when they will arrive!

I've also had to turn away a lot of guests, cancel IBs etc. lately. Again, most of this is COVID related, e.g. guests who do not check government restrictions or think they can quarantine at a shared listing, but some of it is not. Some of it is just clueless who don't understand how Airbnb works (3rd party bookings, guests who IB by accident etc., guests with fake/multiple profiles, guests with reviews that aren't even for them, guests who seem unable to communicate in the most basic way).

I don't know if that's because we are getting different types of guests since the pandemic, or if it's because Airbnb has been making it easier for guests to IB. I certainly never had this percentage of long term guests using IB to book. It used to be rare and now it's increasingly common. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Laura2592 

Hmm... Mixed bag here. Bookings are definitely up. We're already almost fully booked between March and September, with a few bookings outside of that. February is booking up nicely. Have a few in October. January is still spotty, but there's bookings. 

But yes, far more cancellations. More than ever. Usually no explanation from the guest. Just cancelled. I suspect it's because we've removed all cancellation restrictions, to facilitate some sense of booking comfort in these trying times. But then, it usually gets booked by somebody else within a week or so. It's mystifying. 

It's pretty inexplicable, but I'm not complaining. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 Same here. I had a couple cancel day of arrival last Friday. The airport they were flying out of canceled hundreds of flights due to staffing. Surprisingly, I did not get the option to review them (Airbnb change of policy?) I have a flight booked to Florida in two weeks. I am thinking about booking an Airbnb but I'm waiting until the last minute to do so. Too many things to worry about.

Yes, both changes and cancellations have ticked up slightly.  One guest has 2 separate reservations to which he has made 3 changes, with good reasons.  I have a strict cancellation, and neither of the recent cancellations requested a refund ( some have in the past and, like many of us, I refund days I can rebook).

I have a peculiarly positive response to cancellations: they remind me of “hooky” days, when, as a teacher, I’d wake up and decide to take a mental day. The joy- an extra day appearing on the calendar with my name on it. Obviously I’m a very minor player in the AirBnb game!

Esther771
Level 2
Nyeri, Kenya

Am about a month into AirBnB , can comment much on the bookings but am glad I joined the airBnB platform as a host. Generated good revenue that helped me get money for my kids school fees. 

No qualms on my end. I hope the trend keep going

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Two cancellations today. YIKES. This has never ever happened before. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Last year we had longer stays but more cancellations than ever. Mostly because people didn't read the description and house rules (Tnx Airbnb for hiding it so well, that's so very helpful)

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

Bookings are slow for sure. Some places empty for weeks. Fortunately I have a few bookings off AIRBNB so we are still surviving. Then again, we are in a lock down or circuit breaker or something or other. Not complaining about pandemic measures. It is what it is. Fortunate for workers still coming a bit. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Hmmm… I think it’s pandemic related. People are sick or afraid of traveling and getting sick. I had our calendar largely blocked as we were doing renovations. We do most of our bookings in the summer and I suspect we will have a strong run.

Here in NYC….. traffic is low and Broadway revenue down 60%. It’s all Covid!

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

Yes, I am seeing more short notice cancellations, and people asking for refunds or credit towards a future stay for non-refundable reservations.  The most irritating part of these scenarios is that guests still think that hosts should be their default travel insurance.  They'll spend the extra $$ for an airplane ticket that can be changed or refunded, but don't use some common sense to figure out that for almost the same amount those funds could have instead gone to the travel insurance policy that's offered right before payment is taken, and it covers more than just the flight portion of travel.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Helen @744  I do agree with you Debra300 . We have become default travel insurance . We are all being treated as if we work for Airbnb . Somethings up the putt H

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Laura2592  Extremely quiet here, people are still away having holidays out of Auckland at the Beach.

We have a saying that has been around for years, 'Will the last person to leave New Zealand please turn out the light".

It's been used frequently over here in general terms.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Laura2592 @Yes definitely a slow down in bookings, in fact December saw the most vacancies I’ve ever experienced! Usually many rural people come here for Christmas shopping but it just did not happen at all this year. My increased nightly cost over Christmas and New Year covered it but it was shocking! I have been very lucky with January hosting 3/4 places for the entire month and two week+ stays in the other place. If February is low vacancy I’m going to rebrand/regroup and change the interior and Air photos…

The longer my place is booked in advance the more likely I am to see cancelled bookings. It’s the bookings that are booked closer to the available dates that stick. 
December really wore me down with problem after problem after problem guest, I’m considering getting through the summer and calling it quits next fall. I used to love being a host but my December experiences really put that into question. For now I’m continuing on and with my longer stays I’m happy to take a much needed break this month from hosting duties! 
While omicron infects the globe I think we all need some patience with guest cancellations, it is what it is! 

@Katrina79  Have you considered limiting the calendar to only 3 months in advance, or even less, to cut down on the cancellations that you say happen with far in advance bookings?