Taxes

Answered!
Michael5901
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Taxes

Hi. I am new to Hosting. In Ontario, Canada.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to claim Airbnb income? It's a family cottage. Both my parents are retired. So if they were to claim, they would get hit with high taxes because of their low pensions. If I claim, then I pay the taxes, but I don't get full use of the earnings as they are split for cottage expenses.

I have heard of opening a corporation so that I can claim under that and it's just a number. Not sure how that works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

1 Best Answer
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Michael5901 

In Ontario and Canada rentals are not regular income but rather specifically Rental Income.

You should like consult with a professional accountant.  Also, remember that of your change to a rental, it will quite likely impact your capital gains status and various other tax legislations.

Dig deep to get all the knowledge you can.  Also, continue to follow this CC for very real information.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18

Do you also have to send the sales tax amount separately to the state or everything is file on your income tax with schedule C or K1 form I think

Do I have to give any tax information if i have not hosted ever although I have an account 

Crystal431
Level 1
Bremerton, WA

New host here and curious about managing the property rather than owning. Who provides the tax info if Airbnb pays out the manager and the manager than pays the property owner after taking their fee? Any help would be appreciated. 

Hello this is a good question have you received the answer?