Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Year end tax reporting question.

Steve3189
Level 3
Bristow, VA

Year end tax reporting question.

Last year when the 1099 came, I reconciled that report to what AirBNB said.   I downloaded the listings in one file and each showed the Host Fee, Cleaning Fee and the Occupancy Taxes.  This year, the report looks different (each listing is two lines) and there is not listing of the occupancy taxes.   Am I running the wrong report?  I can't seem to find one that looks like last years.  

The CSV file was named:  "airbnb_tax_01_2022-11_2022"  So maybe it only comes out after year end?     

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Steve3189  You are not running the wrong report.  The Occupancy taxes are still there, after the Gross earnings column.  Click on the Get Report button and then check that you have marked all of the checkboxes for the information that the report can contain. NOTE:  I charge a Pet Fee and checked the box to include this column, but it was not included even though I had guests who paid the pet fee when booking.

The report may look different after the end of the calendar year, but I am not counting on it.  I use the AirBnB canned reports only to verify and validate the information that I record for each and every booking, including those cancelled or refunded.

Because the AirBnB booking email does not identify the separate taxes paid by my guests to each taxing authority, I have to take the gross amount charged to the guest and break it down further to get the State, County and Municipality amounts.  A real PITA.  

AirBnB is not your partner, nor are they going to make your tax reporting easy.  They have their own interests, and your needs are irrelevant.  

Thanks @Lorna170.   

I don't think I need to report this in my community, but I would like to have that information handy.   It's a small tourist town, I should ask the town hall if they actually get that tax money...