linen sheets

Amber609
Level 2
Goderich, Canada

linen sheets

I am thinking of purchasing linen sheets and duvet cover for a delux suite in my B&B, is this a waste of money (600 CAD)?

Will they be hard to get stains out of?

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amber609 we end up regularly replacing sheets. Better to go cheaper (cotton 2 or 300TC) and be resigned to replacing regularly.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Amber609 I remember using linen sheets in France at a B&B and absolutely loving them. I bought some and use them at home.  I would love to use them in my listing, but honestly I don't think they would be appreciated and the wrinkles would probably cost me reviews,  If I lived onsite it would be different and I would use them.  I ended up going with high quality Italian brands but one time I had a quick change over, and used a set of microfiber that my family uses when they stay, It was the only time anyone ever mentioned the sheets and they loved them.  So now I mix things up. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amber609  Guests are hard on bedding. Blood and other bodily fluids, makeup, sunscreen, lube, hair dye, etc. Acne medication apparently leaves stains which are impossible to remove by any method.

So unless you want to spend your days being a stain removal slave, do not invest in expensive bedding. In fact, it's a good idea to purchase bedding that can be replaced by the piece, rather than "sets" that you can't match. You don't want to have to retire an entire set just because the bottom sheet got a stain you can't remove. 

That means either sticking to all white, all greys or another color (if you use various shades of grey, or blue, for instance, you could have a fitted sheet in light grey, a top sheet in darker grey, and pillowcases in dark grey- it will  look purposeful)

In more eclectic listings like mine, I even mix colors- I'll use a burgundy fitted sheet, a grey top sheet, and patterned pillow cases which have both colors in them. (As a professional seamstress, I make my pillowcases myself- fabric stores which carry quillting fabrics have hundreds of patterns and color combos to choose from) 

Shop online bedding sales- good quality cotton bedding doesn't have to be expensive and it won't cost you an arm and a leg to replace bedding that is getting tired or worn or stained.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amber609  I see you're in Canada- if there is a Winners store anywhere near you, I've found name brand bedding there for good prices.

I also see you have private room listings. For some reason,I jumped to the conclusion that you had some high end entire house listing, which would be expensive to outfit in linen sheets.

So if you want to try it out, you don't have a lot to lose. I also have a private room listing for one guest, and while I don't buy expensive sheets, I've never had guests stain the bedding in any way. 

You're a lemur researcher- how cool. Can't say I have ever met or heard of anyone with that profession. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to wear linen out so it's a durable investment.  I considered linen but only use it for me. Too wrinkly for guests. I use extremely high quality cotton, the pillowcases are the only items I've had stain problems with. Bindis, makeup. Get more pillowcases than you think you'll need. I buy my linen in the half yearly sales, one set ahead at all times. @Amber609 

Jackie374
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I'm also surprised at how despite 5 star reviews no one ever comments on my beautiful white linen crisp sheets.

I also use a top sheet and I notice it's put at the bottom of the bed most times !

I never sleep without a top sheet so I find it strange

Jacqueline OKeeffe
Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

A top sheet with a duvet is a hassle for the host and the guest. As a guest I would always remove it. Why add to your laundry chores by including an unnecessary top sheet? The duvet cover is washed after each guest, so a top sheet is not required.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amber609 

I am not sure what you decided in the end about the linen sheets but I would not spend that much on bedlinen for guests and I would also worry about how they would perceive the creases.

I tend to buy inexpensive, but good quality, reasonably high tread count cotton linens. I usually find these on sale at TK Maxx/Homesense (TJ Maxx/Homegoods), where they are already heavily discounted before going on sale. 

Most guests never commented on the quality of the bed linen. I think they would notice if you had horrible, scratchy sheets, but above that, they don't seem to notice or, if they do, think it's important enough to mention. I think only one guest mentioned 'nice bedlinen' in her review, but she was an extremely fussy type who rated me down on a bunch of other things. 

What guests do notice and comment on is the comfort of the beds. So, this means the mattresses and pillows. In my case, it's the extra thick mattress toppers that have made the beds really comfortable and guests love them. Personally, I would rather invest money there than in fancy sheets. It's also important that they have enough warm bedding in the winter, so I always have spare duvets and quilts for their use.