prop manager as host

Answered!

prop manager as host

Hi All:

Last year, we purchased a property that was used as an Airbnb. The owner, a Lic. PM, who sold it to us continued to manage for us but under his Airbnb account. He made me the co-host, however, I really think that I should be the host and he should be made as co-host. I understand that the previous reviews on the property will be deleted (which isn;t such a bad thing), but I don't understand why he is so against switching the property to my own account as the host and him as co-host and Property manager. Am I missing something?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. No as I said he needs to keep the listing set up with existing bookings until they are complete 

2. he could cancel your existing bookings but why would he if he is your friend . He will get financial penalties from Airbnb if he does. 

3. never listen to airbnb customer services 

4.  unscrupulous cohosts and management companies set up a hosts listings under their own profiles . Decent cohosts like myself help a host set up their listing under their own profile 

Just speak to your management company to sort out a date for when they will snooze their listing and you will set up yourself . 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Maria17112 I guess he loses control and makes it much easier for you to take away the property management from him in the future.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your situation I would have set the listing up in my own name as soon as I bought the property.

he probably doesn't want you to do this because you then have full control of the listing and if you're not happy with his services you can appoint another cohost. 

I am a cohost and always have hosts set up the listing in their name so the host gains the reviews for their property. 

1. Tell him to snooze his listing so he doesn't take further bookings

2. set up the listing in your name blocking out dates when he has booking.

3. you can then manage it yourself /use him as a cohost/ choose someone else to cohost 

Hi and thanks for your reply. Will I lose my future bookings because they were made under his name?Can he refuse to do what you mentioned? Airbnb told me that he has to delete this listing on his end. He is also my neighbor and friend so this is very confusing to me. He said he also has other owners as the cohost. Is it typical for the PM to operate this way? Thank you again for your time.

@Maria17112 If it is an amicable split then you can, as @Helen3 suggests, honour the bookings on his account as your own bookings start. He can certainly make things difficult if he wants although to what extent legally will depend on the contract you have (I hope) with him. Of course he is not much of a friend if he makes difficulties.

What I don't know is what part of the listing he would no longer see if he was a co-host. I think Helen may be a Host and a co-host so might be able to tell us. 

If @Maria17112  wants to add him as a cohost  she can set what access he has and he can manage guest interactions, edit the listing etc. She can also set up a percentage that he will be paid for managing bookings. 

He won't have access to financial information and can't submit claims for damage etc

I am meeting with him tomorrow to ask him to snooze the listing while I set up as host. I have every intention of honoring anyone booked already with his commission. As it stands now, I have full access to the payouts and with a little math, I can figure out how much he drew for himself. I just really feel like he has way too much control over my property on Airbnb...Thank you and @Helen3 and @Vanessa-and-Nicole0 for all your info. I will keep you updated after tomorrow's meeting. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. No as I said he needs to keep the listing set up with existing bookings until they are complete 

2. he could cancel your existing bookings but why would he if he is your friend . He will get financial penalties from Airbnb if he does. 

3. never listen to airbnb customer services 

4.  unscrupulous cohosts and management companies set up a hosts listings under their own profiles . Decent cohosts like myself help a host set up their listing under their own profile 

Just speak to your management company to sort out a date for when they will snooze their listing and you will set up yourself . 

Another reason I can think of is they may just be lazy and not wanting to set up another listing? If this is the case, perhaps you could split the referral bonus that will come along with the new listing (pending you aren't the primary host on any properties yet).

As a management company, we always create a new listing for the owners and make ourselves cohost so all of our properties are linked, but, if one owner has an issue, it does not affect the others.

Cheers,

Stay Local Vacation Rentals