24 hours notice for bookings

Christine166
Level 2
Launceston, Australia

24 hours notice for bookings

Hi, I just had a guest make a booking arriving today at 2pm.  When I set up my profile, I thought that I had indicated that I need 24 hours notice.  This is a tad inconvenient for me, but I will go with it for this one as I havent had many guests throught yet.

Can someone please let me know where to adjust this (if possible).  I am on instant booking.

Thanks

Chris

17 Replies 17
Jan62
Level 2
Tasman, New Zealand

Hi christine if you are on instant booking which is the lighting pic then yes you will get guests, as it says people can book instantly, you need to turn instant book off if you need warning but you do get more bookings if it is on. i hope this helps. i have heard that AirBnB are testing instant booking and some new hosts dont have the instant book turn off.

Jan

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually @Jan62 that’s not correct, @Christine166you do not need to turn off instant booking in order to determine how much time you have between arrival of each guest. You can set the same cut off time as a host who has Request to Book option; Instant Booking only means the guest can book without prior contact but you are stil in control of the notice period between bookings. Follow the path below to adjust your settings -

• Host (house icon)
  • Manage listings(click on the listing and it will open the default calendar page)
  • Availability setting (top right under house icon)
  • Reservation preference

You can chose from the following options

• Same day with a customised cut off time
  • I day notice
  • 2 days notice
  • 3 days notice
  • 7 days notice

Hope this is of some help, Ama

Brilliant!  Thanks Ama.  I have it all sorted now.

This is only my second guest and he is staying for 6 nights and wants breakfast each morning! 

Does anyone have any hints for a delicious, continental style breakfast that is prepared the night before and left out for guests?

Much appreciated any advice, tips or hints.

Cheers

Chris

@Christine166, Yoghurt, fruit and granola in a nice glass, gladwrap, then refridgerate overnight. Put out in the morning with tea/coffee/rolls/toast, and the eggs you boiled while you have a very quick shower and dress.

Happy hosting

Regards, Christine.

Thanks Christine - sounds good.

Cheers

Christine

I cannot find this to save my life.  I found the house icon for hosting... and can go to manage my listings.... but I can't find availability or reservation preference.  Is there another way or a link?

@Randi243 It is under the pricing and availability tab. Towards the bottom under calendar availability

Thanks Jan.  I think I have it sorted now and you might have seen Ama's advice re the pre-booking period which might be helpful to you.

Cheers

Christine

Nuha0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Christine,

I would suggest to turn off Instant Booking. I tried this feature for awhile, and while it may work for some, it did not work for me.

I found that there was a lack of dialog and rapport with a guest if they could just "instantly book". Not to mention: No screening process and/or the abilty to view a guest's reviews.

Wait. You have a credit card, a Facebook page, an email address AND a phone number?!?! Airbnb APPROVED.

What I find most valuable, as an Airbnb Host, is to get to know (even ever so slightly), the guests that I am welcoming into my home. Even a simple dialog of the reason for their stay, if they have family in town, touring, etc... It makes a huge difference on a host's ability to accommodate a guest to their satisfaction.

This might be a different perspective to people who Airbnb properties where they do not live. I live in the home where I host, so, depending on your situation, you can ultimitaly decide what works or does not work for you.

Best, Nuha

HI Nuha

I must admit I did feel a bit overwhelmed and a bit vulnerable having someone (single male)  book at 12 noon who will arrive 12 2.30pm for 6 days.  I have managed to change my settings so that there is at least 24 hours notice and I feel much more comfortable about that.  I agree with the pre-contact and rapport building comments and I think this is very important for both hosts and guests.

Thanks so much

Cheers

Christine

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

You might want to double check your InstantBook settings as you should be able to select an option where they cannot book in the same day. My IB is set for a 3 day notice to book AND they have to be guests with prior good reviews. Also, the outgoing message that they receive requests that they send me a message with their trip info and whether the check in time works for them. 

I am hearing that IB has some variations depending on where you are (and what they are testing) but it wouldn't hurt to see if you could just make it more functional for your life before turning it off altogether.

Thanks Andree.  That is really useful advice.  I will put together a similar template for the message they receive when they book.

Cheers

Christine

Phil37
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I have my listing set for 1 day notice and I still get guests with less than 24 hours notice. For example, if they book at 11 pm on 19 Nov, they can book for check-in at 2pm on 20 Nov despite my 1 day notice setting. This is well under 24 hours notice but in some respects is a calendar day notice. I decline these bookings and don't let AirBnB's policies bully me into being a revolving door. I also agree with @Nuha1 who finds that building a rapport with guests (however slight over AirBnB mail) makes for a smoother stay. I have also limited the maximum duration of stays to 3 days so in the event I do get a guest who is 'border-line' I won't have them around for a long time. I hope you find some of this information useful.

Nurse0
Level 3
กทม, Thailand

I got the same thing. Selected 1 day notice and guests booked me at 8pm to check in at 8am the next day!  It is ridiculous.