4 star rating due to a digital lock

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

4 star rating due to a digital lock

Today I received a 4 star rating. The guest seemed to be frustrated by the front door lock. For the security reason, I have installed a normal key lock and a digital lock. The code to digital lock is changed after each guest.

The digital lock is powered by a battery and it is a deadbolt lock. When the deadbolt is moved out or in, it could take 2-4 seconds waiting. Therefore, I always provide a detailed steps of instructions and send to a guest before checkin for self checkin guest or during checkin for checkin in person.

These two guests had to check in by themselves because we were out of town at weekend. I sent detailed self checkin instruction and also mentioned that they could call me anytime. I thought everything seemed to be fine because I did not get any calls. Today after I received a 4 star rating, I asked the guest where I can improve to get 5 star rating. And she complaint about the digital lock and told me that they had issue to open it and took them 7 minutes to open it when they checked in. They rated me 4 star for checkin even though they asked me to checkin 2 and half an hour earlier than the checkin time in my listing. I granted them to check in earlier but I got a 4 star rating for checkin and for overall.

They did not write negatives on the public review though. But a 4 star rating as you all know hurts my ratings. I will need to get five 5 star ratings in order to bring it back to 4.8.

Any suggestions from hosts how to make a process simple while still have the necessary security in place?

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Too bad the check in experince was so negative for these guests to color the entire stay.  Probably if they would have stayed longer the check in experience would have faded and not colored their overall rating.  Being someone who is easily frustrated by technology and can be vision challenged especially where might be low light, I can become upset with a check in experience in which I feel helpless.

It seems you feel you need to two step security process so you might need to find another way to educate guests.  Perhaps you can virtually be there  (on the phone) to assist with the check in process rather than counting on someone being able to follow written instructions.

@Linda108 Thank for your suggestions. This guest is a one night guest. Indeed, I do have a video doorbell. If she would just rang the bell for help, I would have been able to provide her with the instruction. After they checked in, I asked her if they needed any help and the response was nil.

I did not want to call and telll because some people could be offended if I tell them details because they did not want others thinking them stupid. Indeed, there were a few guests who even had issues to open the digital lock when I demonstrated how to do it when I was able to check in them in person. While I did my demo, they either did not want to pay attention or just told me that they were busy and want to meet somebody in a hurry etc. Then, they had the frustration to open the digital lock. The major issue is that they don't have the patience to wait for 2-3 seconds and push the door too quickly so that the deadbolt is stuck in the middle.

It is a conundrum for you isn't it.  Whatever are the reasons a guest has a problem with your check in, if more than one calls out the system, it is worth looking at alternatives, or take the negative comments and ratings.  I would think with all your good reviews and your multiple listings this might not be that impactful to your hosting status.  

You live in the land of the tech enlightened.  I live near Palm Springs.  Big difference in the general population 😄

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mike1034 

hosts are always guilty for guests mistakes and fails. It is very similar to parenting 😛

@Branka-and-Silvia0Your analogy made me laugh:-)

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

It boggles my mind why guests does this specially when you make special exceptions for them. It is very frustrating. Airbnb should definitely allow half star ratings. I would, professionally and politely , let them have it on your response. As a long time host and guest, I often read the hosts response because I know guests can sometimes be so unreasonable.