5 star cleanliness expectations & HAIR

Answered!
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

5 star cleanliness expectations & HAIR

Shouting out for advice from fellow hosts for help about what should be expected to get a 5 star clean rating. 

Is the 5 star expectation, that there is not a SINGLE stray hair anywhere (corners, inside cupboards drawers, or even in the bin)?

Would a few grains of sand in the kitchen sink mean 4 stars if the rest were pristine, new and impeccable?

Would a slight discolouration on one white towel (many other towels provided), be a reason to remove a star?

I guess my main concern is the hair, it's a nightmare we do our best but I just had a guest who considered to maintain my review rating there should be not a single hair anywhere to be found in my apartment;  Is this achievable?  Realistic?  Reasonable?

Also, if a guest complains about a hair or stain the day after check in, how to know if it was there before they arrived, or if they caused it themselves?

1 Best Answer

@Susan1188 Airbnb doesn't provide any kind of useful guidelines to guests about what the star ratings signify, so  the results are going to be extremely subjective, at times even random. There are guests who will dock you stars for all of the things you describe. There are some who will even demand a refund if they spot a hair. And there are also a great many who have some sense of perspective and rate you reasonably.

It's well worth aspiring to deliver your condos in the cleanest state you can, and take special care about sand. But you can't do anything to stop a guest for rating you poorly as a result of noticing their own sand, hair, etc. 

Well...actually there is one thing you can do:  screen your guests. In the initial communication, it's often very easy to spot the people who are going to be high-maintenance and persnickety and which ones are easygoing people who are genuinely appreciative of your home and hospitality. (Not naming any names, but you can also spot them in these forums). The former goes around the world acting all entitled, and won't hesitate to damage your business over a discolored towel; they often start their requests asking questions that a simple read of your listing could've answered, act vague about their intentions, and are likely to ask for extra services such as an early check-in. The latter guests show genuine enthusiasm and attention for your listing, express themselves in a genuinely personable way, and display enough flexibility to plan within your parameters. 

The good-communicating guests tend to leave the best reviews. The entitled ones won't be satisfied with anything, and at worst even threaten you if they don't get discounts, or call the authorities to say you didn't have enough windows or whatever.

So yes, do your best to deliver a clean, presentable, sanitary property. But if you care about how your efforts will be reflected in the ratings, decline the guests from that undesirable second category.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

@Susan1188 Airbnb doesn't provide any kind of useful guidelines to guests about what the star ratings signify, so  the results are going to be extremely subjective, at times even random. There are guests who will dock you stars for all of the things you describe. There are some who will even demand a refund if they spot a hair. And there are also a great many who have some sense of perspective and rate you reasonably.

It's well worth aspiring to deliver your condos in the cleanest state you can, and take special care about sand. But you can't do anything to stop a guest for rating you poorly as a result of noticing their own sand, hair, etc. 

Well...actually there is one thing you can do:  screen your guests. In the initial communication, it's often very easy to spot the people who are going to be high-maintenance and persnickety and which ones are easygoing people who are genuinely appreciative of your home and hospitality. (Not naming any names, but you can also spot them in these forums). The former goes around the world acting all entitled, and won't hesitate to damage your business over a discolored towel; they often start their requests asking questions that a simple read of your listing could've answered, act vague about their intentions, and are likely to ask for extra services such as an early check-in. The latter guests show genuine enthusiasm and attention for your listing, express themselves in a genuinely personable way, and display enough flexibility to plan within your parameters. 

The good-communicating guests tend to leave the best reviews. The entitled ones won't be satisfied with anything, and at worst even threaten you if they don't get discounts, or call the authorities to say you didn't have enough windows or whatever.

So yes, do your best to deliver a clean, presentable, sanitary property. But if you care about how your efforts will be reflected in the ratings, decline the guests from that undesirable second category.

Thanks Andrew that’s the best answer ever you made my day!

I totally agree you can usually get a feeling for how difficult they person is going to be early on.  For example I had someone put in all caps they were VERY ALLERGIC to animal hair did I guarantee there were no allergens  in the apartment.  I do not allow animals so normally there would be no animal hair!  But I would never accept this guest I told her she would be better suited somewhere with daily cleaning service.

I had a guest who did exactly what you said, about finding their own hair then sending me photos and complaining about it.  Or the guests children stain or damage something, deny it to their parents who then  accuse you of having stained sheets, towels  or something damaged when they arrived.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Anonymous  Yes, I agree with you about screening guests. When I screen guests, I will read guests reviews given to the hosts. If the reviews they wrote are very in detail and mention some very minor things or things obviously included in the listing but they did not read, I definitely would not accept their requests even though they got all glowing 5 stars from hosts.

Those guests are the one who will find a spot, a hair, a sand particle, or dust in the hidden corners, cabinet top etc.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I wish Airbnb would give some guidelines about this.

Even professionally laundered sheets sometimes have a stray hair on them. 

I have now put in my house rules now that guest should point out any issues with cleanliness maybe to 2 hours after check in.  

After they've slept in the beds and used the towels and the bathroom and the rest of the apartment, can they still call you up and say : there is a stain on the sheets and it was here when I got here?  (happened to me this week).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan1188 I certainly agree with all Andrew said. Myself, I find it quite easy, with a thorough vacuuming everywhere (even inside drawers) to get all those pesky hairs and other tiny stuff. But it's also true that some guests will blame you for their own hairs and other stuff.

We vacuum everywhere and then wet mop.

In a 90 square meter fully tiled apartment it is impossible to get every single hair, there is always one you miss.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While most guests' cleanliness demands might be related to unrealistic expectations, I think sometimes a guest is nervous that the hair in the sink or stained linens may be the tip of the iceberg.  Your concerned rather than defensive response will go a long way to help a guest settle in.  The trick is how to spot a genuine guest versus an entitled one.

Sometimes a guest will report a stain because they want it on the record that they did not cause the stain.  I personally think there should never be any stains on the bed and bath linens.  Stained cleaning cloths would be expected.

@Linda108  Very true about some guests just not wanting to be blamed for something. I had a guest, an experienced Airbnber, who called me up to her room shortly after she'd checked in to point out a small shelf in the closet that was loose. She wasn't complaining, she just wanted me to be aware that she didn't cause it. She left a fine review. I actually noticed the shelf was loose when I was cleaning, but had forgotten to go back up and put in another screw.

Yes you are right, showing the appropriate concerned attitude in the response is everything!

And I also agree, sometimes people are pointing out problems - not because they want to complain or want it fixed, but because they are afraid you will charge it to them.

Chris2051
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks for sharing all this. It has been very challenging and discouraging at times .. we have done the vacuum and mop & wipe but still our recent guest said it is not clean . It was surprising as our previous 2 guest rated 4/5 cleanliness.  No specific feedback nor photos were given on where it was not clean from the recent one . 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Susan1188 

@Anonymous  has already given you a great answer.

Just a couple of other things that I'll through into the ring,

I find it helpful in my house manual and checkout procedures to explain to guests how the ratings work for a host  - ie anything less than 5 is seen as below par. I dont' ask for a 5 outright, but I explain how it works and then follow  it up by asking them to contact me if they are unhappy with anything

I can give you a link to a forum thread where this was discussed and some hosts posted what they said if you're interested. This is no use whatsoever for those entitled guests, but can be helpful for those who genuinely dont' realise how we're impacted by the stars

Secondly I find a lint roller can be really handy - especially in the bathrooms.  I sometimes roll it over sheets and duvets also if they look at bit Fuzzy = picks up hairs and other bits and bobs that often I haven't even seen.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers

Hi @Rowena29 !

Thanks for that answer!  Yes indeed I do all of that, from explaining the review system at the end of the house documentation (after the departure check list),  verbally if I can find a way to slip it in and they are new guests, to asking them to please tell us about anything during their stay so we can fix it instead of just posting in the review.

Two scenarios this will never help:  the entitled guest you mentioned who perhaps also has an agenda of trying to get some kind of refund because they found a stray hair

And the guest who does not want to be bothered with communicating with you and having you coming in to fix something during his holiday, its so much easier to just whinge in the review.

As for the lint roller I'm definitely going to try this, so many people have recommended that OR using a wadded up bunch of masking tape (sticky side out!) to pick up hairs this seems like a good idea haven't tried yet!

Looking for guidelines on a departure checklist. Also, how do you explain the review system in the house documentation?

Patty207
Level 2
Denver, CO

Has anyone figured out how to breakdown hair on the sheets in the wash and dry process? I googled and can’t figure it out. Every time we put fresh laundered sheets on the bed there is human hair still stuck in threads of the sheets. It takes close to an hour just to make the bed. We use a lint brush to go over it every time. There must be an easier way to get hair of sheets. Suggestions?