5 star cleanliness expectations & HAIR

Answered!
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

5 star cleanliness expectations & HAIR

Shouting out for advice from fellow hosts for help about what should be expected to get a 5 star clean rating. 

Is the 5 star expectation, that there is not a SINGLE stray hair anywhere (corners, inside cupboards drawers, or even in the bin)?

Would a few grains of sand in the kitchen sink mean 4 stars if the rest were pristine, new and impeccable?

Would a slight discolouration on one white towel (many other towels provided), be a reason to remove a star?

I guess my main concern is the hair, it's a nightmare we do our best but I just had a guest who considered to maintain my review rating there should be not a single hair anywhere to be found in my apartment;  Is this achievable?  Realistic?  Reasonable?

Also, if a guest complains about a hair or stain the day after check in, how to know if it was there before they arrived, or if they caused it themselves?

1 Best Answer

@Susan1188 Airbnb doesn't provide any kind of useful guidelines to guests about what the star ratings signify, so  the results are going to be extremely subjective, at times even random. There are guests who will dock you stars for all of the things you describe. There are some who will even demand a refund if they spot a hair. And there are also a great many who have some sense of perspective and rate you reasonably.

It's well worth aspiring to deliver your condos in the cleanest state you can, and take special care about sand. But you can't do anything to stop a guest for rating you poorly as a result of noticing their own sand, hair, etc. 

Well...actually there is one thing you can do:  screen your guests. In the initial communication, it's often very easy to spot the people who are going to be high-maintenance and persnickety and which ones are easygoing people who are genuinely appreciative of your home and hospitality. (Not naming any names, but you can also spot them in these forums). The former goes around the world acting all entitled, and won't hesitate to damage your business over a discolored towel; they often start their requests asking questions that a simple read of your listing could've answered, act vague about their intentions, and are likely to ask for extra services such as an early check-in. The latter guests show genuine enthusiasm and attention for your listing, express themselves in a genuinely personable way, and display enough flexibility to plan within your parameters. 

The good-communicating guests tend to leave the best reviews. The entitled ones won't be satisfied with anything, and at worst even threaten you if they don't get discounts, or call the authorities to say you didn't have enough windows or whatever.

So yes, do your best to deliver a clean, presentable, sanitary property. But if you care about how your efforts will be reflected in the ratings, decline the guests from that undesirable second category.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19

@Patty207 wrote:

Suggestions?

What is the fibre content of your sheets?

@Patty207  Maybe it's the thread count of the sheets-lower thread count means the weave is looser, therefore easier for things like hairs to get stuck. I don't use super high thread count- anywhere from 400-600 but don't find anything gets stuck on or in them.

My question exactly.  I now have to roll the sheets, pillow cases, and comforter.  I will try expensive bamboo sheets that are supposed to be less "sticky".

Somewhere in this Community there was a post about what makes a great guest and I said "a hairless one." As it is, the hubster and I clean our two places ourselves, and whoever cleaned the bathroom asks the other to do a "hair check" afterward just to make sure.   M.E.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Scott-and-Mary-Ellen0  Yes, I remember that hairless comment- that was a good one. A friend who hosts often has her 20 year old son help her with the cleaning- her vision isn't so great anymore, but his young eyes see perfectly, so not only does he clean some areas himself, he looks over what she's done and often sees things she missed."Mom, didn't you see that hair stuck to the shower wall?"