A guest claiming place was dirty even though cleaned prior, also that they couldn't even stay

Shaunn0
Level 1
Eveleigh, Australia

A guest claiming place was dirty even though cleaned prior, also that they couldn't even stay

Hi everyone,

I have had a customer after almost a week there stay requesting a full refund do to apparent untidy and dirty home, now this place was cleaned prior going above and beyond what certain hosts cleaning services provide. They also claim that it was so untidy that they couldn't even stay one night and left and went home without notifying me for almost a week.

1.  They claimed there was hair left over
  2.  Urine stains around toilet
  3.  Dust on skirting boards
  4.  Claiming that someone was living at the premise while they were staying

They have taken photos which so minimal dust and some hair not take into account the following

After I heard from them I contacted the person responsible for cleaning the home and asked them upon there next visit that they record a video from the moment they open the door.

They found the place was left in a disgusting state that I hope no host has to come back to, 

1.  They definetly stayed as the bed was cleary used on both sides of the bed
  2.  They had urinated all over the toilet seat
  3.  They left a hair brush with a build up of hair in a draw which happened to be the same they complained about
  4.  They stayed possibly over the stay as it had a large garbage bag full which can take almost a week to fill with 2 people living there full time
  5.  They had used the washing machine and dryer without cleaning the lint trap which after is full spits lint and dust into the air which happened to be the skirting boards she complained about
  6.  They used to towels that were provided even though claimed they were wet even though we have someone seperate to the cleaner verify they were dry and in place before checking in the next guest
  7.  No one was living there as well due to us being overseas at the time 
  8.  Nothing was wiped down and dishes had been used and left

Now we advertised the apartment as a 1 bedroom with shared spaces but had the apartment to themselves as we are overseas, so we locked out 2nd room which has our personal belongings in and also asked them to stay out of a seperate freezer and 1 cupboards which were locked, they stillhad a freezer and fridge to use along with all cooking utensils and 1 large spare cupboard to store any food in they wanted which also had sugar, tea, pepper and salt etc to be used as a courtesy.

This guest is demaning a refund based on the fact they didnt stay which we have video evidence that someone stayed there, and the apartment was dirty when we have photo eveidence after every clean stating otherwise.

I have declined the refund stating that they clearly stayed and they are even stating that even if AirBnB does not refund that they will go to the bank and request a charge back. 

They have also left us a negative review stating our place was dirty and that was not the case and we are left with only 4 star rating now due to only using airbnb while overseas.

What can I do? Thank you for any help

7 Replies 7
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Shaunn0 

A guest who has an issue with a misrepresented or unclean listing should - going by the airbnb guest refund policy - first report this to you to give you the opportunity to resolve the problem using checkable airbnb messages. A check-in issue should be reported to airbnb within 24 hours too if a refund is requested.

Going by what you report, it seems the guest didn't follow this procedure. If they stayed the full term and now ask for a refund, it smacks of opportunism. Can't eat the steak then complain about the steak.

Couple of things though, you say it's a shared space but your listing advertises an entire apartment.

Plus you gave the guests a glowing review, 'recommended' and you even 'look forward to her next visit'..that's a puzzle. Steward's enquiry territory. 

Thank you for replying...I am regretting writing the review without someone actually visiting the apartment that was my mistake...as we are overseas and the others that help with cleaning and check ins are not able to visit until yesterday which is wgen we discovered the unit in a mess and tgis is this first time we encountered this as we are new to hosting and we thought just give them a nice review as received numerous emails from airbnb saying please leave a review so I did...I was so wrong

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Shaunn0 

it is a common knowledge that Airbnb almost always sides with a guest so some guests will take a chance and try to get a refund based on obvious lies. They are not the first one.

The good thing is - you have photo evidence that they did stay, and left a mess so Airbnb should side with you.

But in the future never ever leave a review until someone checks the place after your guest's departure. Wait a week or so to see if they will come up with some refund claim.

Sorry for this experience... it can happen to any of us, anytime.... 😞

@Branka-and-Silvia0 wrote:

@Shaunn0 

But in the future never ever leave a review until someone checks the place after your guest's departure.

This!

Never write a review before you have turned over the room. You never know what you might find, even in rooms that appear to have been left in good condition.

Shaunn0
Level 1
Eveleigh, Australia

Thank you all and I have learned my lesson...no review unless place has been seen and cleared...thank you all for your helpful advice its been a great help.

Priyanka7
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

It’s becoming increasingly frustrating how much Airbnb is willing to side with guests who are very clearly illintentioned. There are so many people who are not suited to this platform and should go stay in a hotel instead. I was coerced by Airbnb to offer a guest a partial refund for a long term stay for “an unclean listing”. This was never once brought to my attention- in fact the guest left early on his own volition. After it being dealt with by 3 case managers the final manager said that she would make a final decision about a refund up to 30% (note the long term cancellation policy does not allow for refunds for the first 30 days) so I either had to offer a refund myself or allow the case manager to give the refund herself. Airbnb need to learn to take it’s hosting community more seriously- we are the reason that the platform is so successful- not fussy guests. 

Victoria884
Level 1
Mainz, Germany

Reply to the guest 

You stayed in a clean house and picked out an idea to live for free at my place. We could have talked about it the first day you arrived and you shouldn‘t have had to stay so long. Surely you used my place and thats the charge of the stay. It is your word against mine without any evidence. 

Then after this pls write to Air b n b about this incident and ask the, to delete that persons review and they keep an eye on his next bookings behavior.