A guest unplugged my security cameras, am I allowed to charge future guest if this happens again?

Justin-Mason0
Level 2
Houston, TX

A guest unplugged my security cameras, am I allowed to charge future guest if this happens again?

My surveillance camera hub is accessible within the house and can easily be unplugged. I suspected one of the guest were having a party when I specifically told them they were not allowed to and realized the cameras were unplugged. When I messaged them I asked "is there a reason the cameras are no longer working" and sure enough, 20 minutes later they came back on. The following night, the same incident occurred. The reason for them doing this was to hide the number of cars out front and so we wouldn't see the foot traffic in and out of the home.

My question is, is there a way to add in the house rules that if there is evidence the surveillance cameras have been unplugged there will be a charge?

Has anyone dealt with his problem before?

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Justin-Mason0  i don't think you have a ground to charge for unplugging the camera. Is there any way you can hide or lock the camera hub?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Justin-Mason0 

If you try to charge for this, the guest is likely going to reject the request for payment. It will then go to Airbnb and I can't see Airbnb approving this 'fee' since there is no true monetary value attached to it. You could say that if cameras are unplugged then the booking will be terminated. If you follow through with this, keep in mind that if the guest involves Airbnb, the guest will be fully refunded for any unused nights as Airbnb does not enforce your house rules. Your best bet is going as @Branka-and-Silvia0 suggestions and putting your camera in a space where it cannot be unplug or tampered with.

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

This has happened to me this weekend and it's not back on yet. THe guests turned the wifi off and I have Nest cam outside so it's offline and doesn't work. It so annoying because the last time I tried to enforce a charge for a guest sneaking in unclaimed guests, Airbnb suspended my account bc the guest retaliated by complaining about the cam!! They had to accept the presence of cams to confirm the booking so all of it was just crazy. My account was down for two weeks before Airbnb concluded their "investigation". In my experience Airbnb always sides with the guest, so sadly no I don't think you could bill them for extra charges.