A kid and cancellation

Answered!

A kid and cancellation

My guest booked for two nights.  This was his first time using AirBnB and he was confused. He came here to spend time with a High School friend of his for the extended weekend. He and his friend came over for check in. They are kids. And by kids I do mean they graduated high school three months ago. I didn't know this ahead of time. That worries me because of alcohol consumption and I cannot be responsible for some underage drinking. It does not appear that he did, but I don't want to be in this position again. The second morning (today) he got up and left around 11.  At 3:30 pm he texted me that the people his friend is staying with said he could stay there tonight so he wants a refund. I told him he had to contact AirBnB about this. My policy is moderate cancellation, but does that mean refunding on the middle of the second day or is it technically still the first 24 hour period since check in is 5-8 pm. I don't particularily want to refund him because he gets to stay with his friend tonight. But, in all fairness, he is a kid, and he's not done this before, and I'm old and feel a tad bit sorry for him. Not a whole lot, but a tad. What do I have to do about this?

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Melody33: You did exactly what you were supposed to do. Cancellation is on the guest, NOT the host. Too many penalties for you if you cancel, especially mid way. He may give Customer Service some sob story/song and dance and they may call you asking if you are willing to refund. At this point, he needs to learn the consequences of the real world. If you fee a tad bit sorry, maybe offer half refund for the night. You cannot rebook it at this point. Why should it come out of your pocket?

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Melody33: You did exactly what you were supposed to do. Cancellation is on the guest, NOT the host. Too many penalties for you if you cancel, especially mid way. He may give Customer Service some sob story/song and dance and they may call you asking if you are willing to refund. At this point, he needs to learn the consequences of the real world. If you fee a tad bit sorry, maybe offer half refund for the night. You cannot rebook it at this point. Why should it come out of your pocket?

Karen57
Level 2
Springfield, IL

@Melody33 Consider adding a requirement that one guest must be 21 and that any guests under 21 need to be related to the guest who is over 21.  This should alleviate it from being an issue again in the future. 

Good luck to you.