AIRBNB STOLE MY MONEY! Over $725! Alteration request SCAM

Answered!
Michael2945
Level 1
St. Charles, IL

AIRBNB STOLE MY MONEY! Over $725! Alteration request SCAM

I had a guest staying from Feb. 2-April 28, 2019. 

He decided after 6 weeks(March 20) that the microwave was “dirty” and left. 

It was really* because he’s a traveling hospital consultant and got relocated. 

So.....

I had received 2 payouts for $635(2/4) and $700(3/4). He asked if I would accept HIS alteration request for a $300 payout from him, to me, for leaving early. This way we don’t have to go back and forth and fight over either me receiving $800(for his last 5 weeks stay he cancelled) or $0(if airbnb sides with guest how they ALWAYS seem to do now). 

My question is: I was CHARGED $425. airbnb took $425 out of my bank on April 4, instead of giving me the payout of $300. 

How can I get my money back??

im out $425 plus the expected $300 payout. The calls of AIRBNB CONFIRMING my $300 AND the payout date are ALL RECORDED. 

im thinking if they wanna play games and scam me, I work in real estate. I’ll just call my real estate attorney and have the calls subpoenad and then sue for all costs and the original $725, plus damages on top, whatever my bulldog attorney wants to go for. I know I’m going against a big company, but recorded calls are just that, evidence of a scam, theft and unethical business. 

Has anyone had a problem with an alteration request where you were promised a pyout for a guest leaving earky but then airbnb took money from you?? 

Thank you!

michael 

1 Best Answer
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Sorry @Michael2945 I think your guest has played you.

If you accepted an alteration request to reduce the length of stay this triggers a refund to the guest, in your case a $425 refund.

If at the same time the guest cancels the payment method, airbnb cannot collect the $725 last payment that would refund you the $425 you refunded, leaving you with the $300.

The nasty bit is that airbnb are not liable for non payment by guests, although they will still be chasing the money and it could sort itself out next month.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Jeff158
Level 10

Sorry @Michael2945 I think your guest has played you.

If you accepted an alteration request to reduce the length of stay this triggers a refund to the guest, in your case a $425 refund.

If at the same time the guest cancels the payment method, airbnb cannot collect the $725 last payment that would refund you the $425 you refunded, leaving you with the $300.

The nasty bit is that airbnb are not liable for non payment by guests, although they will still be chasing the money and it could sort itself out next month.

@Jeff158 It doesn’t even make sense to me. I got my first 2 payouts with this guest and was due for my last one on April 4 for $700 and the airbnb rep said “instead of getting the $700 I would get a $300 payout for this stay. No refund, no cancellation fee”, AND the dates March 21(date I accepted alteration) until April 28 would be open and available for other bookings. 

I wanted to fight it because he cancelled mid trip for a 3 month stay because of a work circumstance but decided  I’d make more than the $500 I lost with a couple short stays and 2-3 week booking anyway.

I made up the $500, but I had to PAY BACK $425, instead of receiving $300 with this specific guest and booking. So it’s a $725 difference. And I’m getting literally $725 for a guest that booked my room April 1-28. And had 4 short stays from 3/21-4/1. Just seems really fishy if ya ask me... no $425 amount was due for that stay, mentioned as a credit or refund or ever an amount or number mentioned. Something else is goin on on their end, for sure. It’s on the phone call recordings they have that I would be paid $300 specifically for this stay and accepting the alteration... on April 3/4. 

Thank you SO MUCH for your insight and comment as well @Jeff158 i really appreciate it. Very stressed out right now. $725 is quite a bit of money... a full month’s stay for my unit specifically. 

Michael2945
Level 1
St. Charles, IL

You basically just are saying that this guy got relocated and then cancelled payment method and so I won’t get the $300... but tobe charged $425!? He paid for through March 28 and left on 21, accepted request the 22 at a rate of 20 a night that is 120 even refunding for nights he didn’t pay. Still doesn’t add up...

Jeff158
Level 10

@Michael2945 

The alteration request means you have sent the guest a refund of $425 because the booking was shortened, you sent this before they paid you.

basically you won't get the $300 and you've sent him $425

Doesn’t make sense. It said on the request id get a payout of $300. 425 was never mentioned or anything. And he paid for the two months he was here. The lady on phone confirmed I’d receive $300, not owe anything. I want the phone recordings, is there anyway I can have my real estate attorney subpoena them since I know they won’t give them up for free? 

Besides moving over to VRBO. 😉😊

been doing this 18 months. Airbnb is turning into PayPal where they blatantly lie and side with scammers with 0 ratings over people with 80+Reviews  and 18 months on the platform.