Acceptation of bookings based on acceptation of my rules

Answered!
Frank638
Level 2
Helmond, Netherlands

Acceptation of bookings based on acceptation of my rules

My complaint of Airbnb is that they seem to feel experts in everything concerning their concept while punishing any new ideas that might help them get better if they would use this feedback.

In my situation I have a concept that guests share my space with others (=low price) without any reception around so they will have to manage by themselves keeping everything clean.
Before accepting a booking, I ask every guest that, in order to avoid complaints from guests not living up to the concept they just agreed on, they will have to repeat and agree all 5 of my conditions in order to be accepted.

Which usually means, if they don't accept, they just don't react anymore so eventually Airbnb punishes me for not reacting in time, blocking my dates and other concequences.

If I refuse the guest, within the 24 hours me or the guest need to react, I get punished as well for refusing too many guests...

Does anyone see a solution here for me, accept for cancelling my hosting?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks, Frank

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Frank638,

If it is a request:

You can ask the guest "to repeat and agree all 5 of my conditions OR to withdraw the request"

If it is an Inquiry:

Just answerring the Inquiry is enough, no obligation to decline or pre-approve.

BTW I think it is not common to ask guest "to repeat" the conditions. The conditions are mentioned in the description AND in the houserules, so they are clear.

Best regards,

Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Frank638,

If it is a request:

You can ask the guest "to repeat and agree all 5 of my conditions OR to withdraw the request"

If it is an Inquiry:

Just answerring the Inquiry is enough, no obligation to decline or pre-approve.

BTW I think it is not common to ask guest "to repeat" the conditions. The conditions are mentioned in the description AND in the houserules, so they are clear.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks Emiel, I used your first idea.

@Frank638    There is no foolproof way to address this. Some guests will always complain whether they have read the description and rules and confirmed everything or not. Most of my guests have been great but there is always the one that feels they have not lived if they haven't found something to complain about even if it's their fault and even if they have to make it up.

As for asking them to repeat the conditions I don't see how that helps,  a simple copy and paste allows them to repeat everything without reading or taking note of anything.

I always say "please read the description, amenities and rules so you know what to expect and let me know if you have any questions".  Guests say they have read them but it's clear when they arrive that some definitely have not.

@Frank638    p.s.   I looked at your listing and  in 2nd paragraph re: cleaning up etc. you could start it with

* SELF-SERVICE * : to bring attention to your conditions.  You have many good reviews so you must be doing something that your guests like.  I did see a listing where the host had created a graphic of written rules with relevant images and icons and added it to their photo gallery, that might help, more people seem to take note of visuals.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Frank638 

You seem to be saying that you simply write to them and ask them to accept the conditions, and if they don't, there is no more communication, and THAT is when Airbnb punishes you?

Are you sure you didn't accept the reservation request or pre-approve it or decline it in any way?

Because I've never been punished for inquiries that result in nothing as long as I answer them within 24 hours.

PS:  I kind of like the idea of asking them to repeat the 5 conditions back to you, because I imagine you get a lot of teenagers and they just really need to be treated that way lol.

PPS:  Pedagogue to pedagogue:  the word is "acceptance," not "acceptation."  Hope you don't mind my pointing that out 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Ann72  I think it's rather rude to correct someone's English - when it is clearly not their first language.

If I could write Dutch even a fraction as well as  @Emiel1  and @Frank638 write English, I would be delighted.

@Helen3  I guess some people might find it rude to correct their English when it's not their native language, and other people don't take it personally and appreciate improving their language skills. When I was building my house in Mexico, my workers were constantly and good-naturedly correcting my Spanish, which was terribly basic at that point. I totally appreciated them doing that, and it helped immensely. (I speak pretty good construction Spanish at least)

@Sarah977 Thank you, and LOL re your construction Spanish!  When I'm in France, I'm always happy to have native French speakers correct my French, because I really do want to get it right.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think there is a huge difference @Sarah977  between someone you know personally helping you learn their language and correcting the language of a random stranger on a forum. Fortunately @Ann72  understood the point I was trying to make and has graciously apologised.

@Helen3, I think there are many, many places in between the two poles you mentioned to @Sarah977.   Sarah referenced one of those places (learning Spanish from strangers doing construction for her) and I referenced another (learning French from strangers sitting next to me on a bus or at a cafe).

@Helen3 You're right.  I tried to do it in a gentle and amusing way, hoping he would want to know.  Thank you for policing manners so diligently.  @Frank638, please accept my deepest apologies.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you @Ann72 I think sometimes we forget many here don't have English as a first language because they write and communicate in our language so well.

I have to say I sometimes make mistakes on forums with spelling/grammar, as I type really quickly and sometimes my brain can't keep up 🙂

@Helen3, I don't actually ever forget.  It's been my career for 40 years to read written English for meaning and nuance.  And I use the word "nuance" pointedly.

Frank638
Level 2
Helmond, Netherlands

I hope you enjoy your conversation girls, I never intended to correct anyone's language nor do I want to decline anyone in advance.
If I ask them to repeat my conditions and agree with every single one of them so I know they at least must have seen them, they usually don't react anymore, but don't cancel their request to stay.

Airbnb gave me a solution to call them every time and they will take care of it asking the guest to take action.

For the ones that are prepared to take the effort to copy and past my conditions and agree with every one of them, at least I know they are willing to take this kind of efforts and usually it works out fine in the end.

thanks for sharing your thoughts, Frank