Account Hacked - use virtual credit cards whenever possible

Wendy307
Level 1
Zeeland, MI

Account Hacked - use virtual credit cards whenever possible

My account was hacked in October. Thankfully I used a virtual credit card number with a set amount and expiration date so they were not able to do anything other than 'capture' my account, change some of my profile info, loaded a couple of stolen credit card numbers, book two vacations.  it was a pain in the a#! but I was glad I used the virtual card option our credit card offers.

The only reason I discovered the issue was because I remembered to set an email notification regarding Host/client updates.  I notified Airbnb of the hack but never heard anything until I received an email response on December 14th (over a month later).  However the concern with the email they want me to tell them how to proceed by clicking a link in the email.  Needless to say, I have not clicked the link because according to airbnb I should be able to log into my account and see the same message but that is not the case, no messages in my airbnb account.  Sooooo, I am holding off using their system for any future trips.

BTW, supposedly a user can set a login notification so you receive an alert however that option is not available in the Security or Notifications options so again unfortunately not using airbnb.

0 Replies 0