Advice needed - flat unsafe and not as described + damage request

Matthieu155
Level 2
Badajoz, Spain

Advice needed - flat unsafe and not as described + damage request

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some support as I booked a studio in Tirana, Albania for a week (7 nights).

Unfortunately, I will try to keep it short but my trip didn't go as planned at all. I have been denied at border control to board my flight due to covid. I learnt the hard way that Albania allows people in but some EU countries do not allow EU citizens to fly out to Albania.

The first thing I did was to check the accommodation but it was too late to cancel as it was past check-in time. Anyway, I messaged the host and told him I will try my best to arrive a couple of days later. It took me 4 extra days (hours and hours in buses!) to reach Albania and I was just very tired when I did the self check-in so went straight to sleep.

I think this is where I did the mistake, as I only had two nights left, I didn't take any actions and mainly slept all day. Anyway, I was very unhappy with the studio:

- Wifi was borrowed/stolen from a bar downstairs - it was slow as hell on my laptop. I did ask prior booking to the host if wifi was included and fast enough and he said yes, it is not the best but its pretty good. For me, it's clearly a no wifi included.

- The bathroom was a disaster, I couldn't take a shower without getting an electrical shock. As soon as my hands were going out of the shower head (hoses, temp control), I was getting electrocuted.

- There was a fancy kitchen but made with raw wood and no sink

- I have also never seen a place without curtains and ceiling light. This didn't bother me too much as I was tired as hell.

Out of curiosity, I also asked the host if I could get a (partial) refund for the nights I missed. He was pretty cold and stick to the airbnb policy. No. No. No.

The host also came at the studio one day prior check-out and ask me to check-out. I was again asleep and told him check-out is tomorrow according to my airbnb app. He got confused and left.

I sucked it up and left a bad facts-based review, maybe a bit too harsh. At the same time, this is where it becomes interesting, I got a money request after check-out for a damage.

Although I can't remember it, the host claims I put a pot on a table and it left a minor heat stain, I can share pics if needed. He asked me roughly 80€ for this (the flat was 10€ a night) based on the wood price in... the US. The kitchen and the table use the same material which looks like raw wood. As soon as I was moving something on the kitchen bench, it was leaving a scratch. So I was pretty careful and if he keeps hosting, it will look pretty bad in a couple of weeks.

I was really thinking to start raising the issue to airbnb as the host lied to me about the wifi and the shower is clearly unsafe. **bleep** me, I was too tired and I regret it now.

What is the best way to deal with such a situation now? Any advice? 

I am pretty sure I didn't do the stain and I believe it is pretty easy to put a raw unprotected wood table (where you are supposed to eat) and ask for "big" damages later on. 

I also find it pretty unfair as the flat was definitely not as described (wifi) and pretty unsafe (bathroom)/dirty (bathroom). Somehow, I could be the one asking for money.

Thanks

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Matthieu155 

Allthough you are not reacting on the very moment it is neccessary, it is my impression from your story this host is trying to make some easy money by claiming "damages". Also there is a matter of unsafety with the accommodation (but what to expect for Euro 10,- a night...). Both issues should be reported to Airbnb and the claim must be rejected.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks @Emiel1 for the feedback. I will raise the issues to Airbnb.

I am not an expert on Albanian market but based on my research (I am thinking to spend a couple of months there), such a 'small' (it was 22sqm) place could be rented for approx. 150€/200€ a month.

So it might sound cheap but the hosts still make money and there are currently not a lot of tourists. I have moved to a place which is 12€ a night and it is probably 65sqm with a huge terrace. The owner told me they usually don't do this price for a single person but has the apartment has been vacant for weeks they are still happy to have me (I have already booked for 2 weeks).

Once again, I was not expecting luxury and what bothered me the most is really 1) no wifi although I asked 2) sketchy shower 3) a crazy 80€ damage request for something I probably didn't do.

I am used to budget accommodation and I am usually not picky. However, when you lie to me and try to get more money out of it, I am getting really annoyed. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Matthieu155 

You DO understand that Albania is a VERY POOR COUNTRY, under-developed, & not long out of communism, one of the three poorest countries in Europe? - You can not expect Western standards.....

@Hela0 I DO understand and believe it or now, from a worldwide point of view, I won't even call it a VERY POOR COUNTRY. It is definitely a poor country as per EU standards and I have never said I was expecting Western standards. 

Re the shower, I wouldn't even mind cold water, I have already been living in such countries. I have even tried to disable the boiler to avoid electrical shocks but I think it came from the water pump.

The place was pretty funny as there were brand new induction plates and a shiny Delonghi coffee machine.  I didn't care about that and was positively surprised. If the host has money for advertising these expensive items, I will assume he can afford a light bulb to put on the ceiling rather than 2 desk lamps. 

Finally, it was a very poor country, there is no way on earth that a minor heat stain on a wooden table will cost nearly 80€. 

I am pleased to continue the conversation but I believe this is a bit off-topic regarding my request :-).

@Matthieu155 If you decline the resolution request, the Host will have to submit documentation of the repair costs to an Airbnb agent, who will make the final decision on how much to charge you.

If you chose to complete your stay, it's not relevant that the property was unsafe, dirty, or not as advertised. Any of those things would have been a valid reason to cancel your stay and claim a refund for the remaining nights, but if they weren't such major issues that you felt the need to relocate, the only appropriate action is to leave an honest review, as you have already done. 

Thanks for the reply. Let's see how Airbnb will handle it if he decides to escalate it.

I can't disagree with you and I would have cancelled the stay in a normal situation. But, once again, it took me 6 days to travel there and I was just exhausted. It could have been an orgy around me in the flat, I'd have slept like a baby for 20 hours in a row. And then, it was only more or less 1 night left.