Air Cover for Hosts? Does it really exist?

Maria730
Level 3
Ashland, OR

Air Cover for Hosts? Does it really exist?

Greetings fellow hosts,

After over 8 years of good to great guests, we had our WORST guest ever. They were would be squatters, who had to be removed by the sheriff

and trashed our home, with over $1200 of damages and extra cleaning fees. We immediately began communication with AirBnB, and filed

an Air Cover claim, documenting through photos, receipts, invoices, videos, all the damages.

It has been 13 days, and 8 email messages, 12 phone calls, without a response from the Claims Department.

Each time, I receive an email reply in my Inbox stating

"I'm going to forward your case to a member of our team who's in a better position to resolve this for you."

Today, representative "Dasia" informed me that she could see where the claim had been "escalated 3 times previously" with the last

time being September 10, 2022 (three days ago). 

Dasia elaborated that their team is unable to see responses from the claims department, or where the case is in process, or if a claims

representative has been assigned. 

We'd really like to recover our costs from this guest, and naively thought AirBnB's promise of host protection was more than just

an advertising gimmick. 

Any advice from someone who has successfully navigated this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

13 Replies 13
Rebecca1327
Level 2
Mantoloking, NJ

We too, after 4 years of great experiences with hosting, had a guest who did major damage to our condo. I also filed with air cover. It has been over 5 weeks and we have not received a response in any form or fashion. I called yesterday and they said they would have someone call me immediately. I am still waiting for that call.

Hi Rebecca, 

That is SO FRUSTRATING! It's not like dealing with the guest's damages wasn't stressful enough, but the process is arduous and apparently, completely broken. I have likely spent an additional 8 hours sending documentation, writing emails, waiting on hold and trying to speak with AirBnB representatives, who are unable to help, other than to forward to someone in the "Claims Processing Department". I'm not giving up, and you shouldn't either. I wonder if AirBnB could be reported to the Better Business Bureau for false claims (Air Cover)?

@Maria730 Please report them. We are doing so today with BBB. 

Which city and state do you file your complaint with? I'm considering leaving the platform all together (3 rental properties) because of the lack of support.

@Rebecca1327 Please file a complaint with BBB. We are too being set up for a denial by Airbnb. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Maria730  @Rebecca1327 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble getting paid, 

I would think in America you have more consumer protection laws than we have here in Thailand,

They have the guest C/C details why cant they just make a charge? Like hotels do,

To be fair to Airbnb I did get paid when some guest damaged my cooker but not the full amount better than nothing, It took only 2 weeks to get paid,

Hercules-R-P-Group0
Level 2
Douglasville, GA

@Maria730 

We have a claim also. And indeed we are beginning to see that Airbnb is committing a type of fraud. They are advertising this wonderful AIRCOVER for hosts process yet are creating a system to deny hosts their reimbursements. So like all corporations operating in bad faith when it comes to insurance type claims they give the appearance of working to resolve your claim but under the surface devising strategies to set you up for denial. It is fraud and corruption wrapped in the appearance of “we are here to help” but really want to deny you.

In a renter’s insurance scenario, even the insurance companies don’t have you jump through all these hoops that Airbnb does just to deny you. 

Somto conclude, Airbnb is engaged in fraud and false advertising in order to lure more hosts and their properties onto the platform so that they can take their hefty cut of our rental monies. It is just another corrupt scheme so they can fulfill their shareholder obligations of increasing profits as much as possible and AIRCOVER promises bring more hosts onto that platform thinking they are going to be protected. They need to be exposed and claims need to be filed with BBB and arbitration etc. so that these unfulfilled claims can be rectified. Corruption always ruins the good.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would never just rely on the Airbnb Guarantee but have my own home insurance for STR to cover the many area the guarantee doesn't cover.

You can post on their social media asking Airbnb why it's been nearly two weeks and you haven't heard from them.

@Helen3 @correct the AIRCOVER promise creates a psychological situation where hosts feel they are protected by Airbnb and that they will see a reimbursement within 14 days, so hosts fail to get other insurance products to cover their possible losses. We made that mistake. But not anymore.

Douglas353
Level 5
Orinda, CA

YES, of course it's and advertising gimmick.

Any advice from someone who has successfully navigated this? 

You either consider it the cost of doing business and get on with your life OR sue Airbnb in small claims court.  You will win, but will Airbnb allow you to continue to host?  

It's stories and guests like yours that have made us quit hosting.

Thank you for sharing. 

MariaElena7
Level 3
Pompano Beach, FL

It is a shame that Airbnb is no longer resolving claims promptly and fairly.  I have always been granted my claims but I have not submitted one in at least four years but have been reading in facebook that numerous hosts are undergoing poor customer service in regards to claims.  I suggest you read and write the TOS and state very clearly that is this is not resolved in xxx days you are going to arbitration.  I have also ready that Tweeting produces results.  Good luck!

UPDATE: I have finally heard from a Patricia Costa from the AirBnB Claims Team. The are rejecting my invoices citing the following reasons

"*NOTE: All invoices/estimates must be on official company letterhead and include the following:
-Date of service
-Name of company
-Phone number
-Business license number
-Cost to repair or replace (include all services rendered)
- Extension of the intervention per square meter/inches and/or Measurements of the damaged area that needs to be repaired
- Differentiate the repair cost of each item, if applicable"

I do not know of any business that lists their business license number on their invoices.

This seems like more of an attempt to provide unattainable requirements for submission of claims, in addition to the "extension of the intervention in square inches".

What does this even mean? My entire home was filthy, with rotten food, feces, soiled clothing and personal care items left over every surface, 288,000 square inches of disgust! I believe this approach is going to result in a class action lawsuit against AirBnB. Are there any ambitious attorneys out there? 

I would think they will pay-out when they receive the information they requested.

It is a pain, but we did it and they did pay. Total measurement can be the whole space, once they receive that information they usually will not question  and just pay.

Hope this helps

Craig-