AirBnB Computer Programming Runs Amok Again...

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

AirBnB Computer Programming Runs Amok Again...

I just received Super Host Status today, but this is what my listing is telling me now. They seem to have misplaced all of my reviews LOL...  So I am not in the Family Collection either anymore per this:

Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (78).png

Screenshot (79).png

39 Replies 39
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Sarah977,

Your somewhat shocking message about Airbnb changing their review system (by a guest) from stars to the “Met expectations”-style radio-button rating. Has kept me puzzling for some time (I’ve never been an Airbnb guest myself). And when I ask other people (whom have been a guest on Airbnb before), I never get a satisfactory answer from them (most have already forgotten about it).

I have noticed a significant decrease in the number of reviews left by guests - as well. In previous years, I received reviews from guests in about 95% of all cases. This year this percentage has suddenly dropped to about 75%.

So I’ve been searching the internet. And I stumbled on this article: https://indieweb.org/AirBnB_Reviews

That would really explain things! Wouldn’t it?

Apparently before the guests hits the stars. There is a phrase below each star:

1 = Terrible

2 = Bad

3 = Okay

4 = Good

5 = Great

Obviously I do not know how this is interpreted/translated to exactly, in other languages!

Once a guest does hit the appropriate star rating, then the associated piece of text remains on top.

I would interpret the “Met expectations”-style radio-button section (Section 3) not to replace the Overall Star rating section (Section 1). But as an additional rating. Although I do not see any feedback about this particular additional rating in my own dashboard?

So there are indeed 5 sections to be filled by a guest, during the review process.

I would expect section 2 to be a check-box style type of enquiry (I.e. You can tick multiple answers. My assumption: Because of the circle-color around the icons).

Now what does Airbnb do with this information?

As Airbnb is always desperately hungry for data and numbers.

My best guess is, that all of this is fed back into Airbnb’s AI!

We recently noticed the introduction of the Home Highlights Section in each listing. And I suppose Airbnb want to make the text in there more diverse – for each individual listing.

On top of this, Airbnb can actually use this data in combination with the Smart Pricing Mechanism.

As we recently also noticed that the Smart Pricing tips are actually improving (Especially when the horizon is about 1 to 3 months out). In the past - these tips were completely ridiculous. But nowadays they are much more in line, with what we have in mind for our seasonal pricing.

On the other side, Airbnb can also use this data to start messaging the hosts to improve their listing!

As apparently the listing does not completely reflect reality (In case there is a lot of feedback of type: “Much better than I expected”)

Although the review process for a guest is pretty extended, I think I can live with a style like that.

It’s not an awful amount of additional work. And reviewing a host can still be done in a couple of minutes.

A couple of weeks ago. One of our recent guests was able to do the review in under 4 minutes :-).

I hope this sheds some light on this topic.

@Cor3  Well, the screens my friend showed me that she was given for the review process for guests (this was in Canada) definitelty did not have any screen for an overall star rating- just that list of "Exceeded my expectations, Was a bit better than my expectations, Met my expectations, etc.)

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Mine, too, @Letti0. My reviews disappeared - 0% - and I have to "work on a few areas" too. I got the red font warning and the 0% before I got notification that I hadn't lost superhost. Confusing to be told to pull up your socks, and then how wonderful you (and your socks) are. 

Just a note, @Rachel0, that review percentage is not how many guests you have reviewed. It is how many guests have reviewed you. I know! Seems unfair, since we have no control over this, but I had it confirmed a few months ago by Customer Service when other hosts were asking the question.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 I did actually realise that after I had posted, but all bar a  very few have left reviews - I have 233 to date!  I suppose it is just another annoying glitch that will get sorted out when they have time to kill.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Seems to be world wide with the red warning  😉  

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

It's  all over the same, I hope it would be soon resolved.

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

I just made a search in the area, found my apartment and there everything seems to be o.k. - superhost etc. It should be a system glitch and soon will be over.

Yep - me too. Have hosted several families after I made family collection and now I'm back to square one. Also work collection.

Sigh. But did get the "congratulations for being a Superhost" email today.

Hope the glitch is fixed soon.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Seems to be working again now.  Have gone from 0% to 87% trips reviewed at some point overnight.

I'm not a superhost but early morning (local time) Henry also mentioned "all our reviews are gone" to which I replied (half asleep) must be another glitch.

Seems okay now 🙂 

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

It's o.k. for 5-6 hours already, but yet I didn't get the e-mail "congratulations for being a Superhost" as @Christine615 got it.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Alex939,

Maybe they are still awaiting 1 of your last reviews?

The evaluation period officially ends tomorrow.

Do you already have a 'line' for the previous period (ending 30 June 2018)?

And if so, what does it say?

@Cor3, it says:

Pending assessment
Assessment ends: Jul 14, 2018
We’ll let you know if you’ve received Superhost status after the assessment period has ended.
and further down:
Here’s to you, Alex! You’re a Superhost, and have unlock extra rewards and recognition. The next assessment data is Oct 01, 2018.
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Maybe someone with a sick sense of humour in the tech department does these things on purpose- "Hey Dexter, now that all these hosts are feeling all fuzzy and warm about getting their Superhost status, what say we screw with them a little and give them something to fret about for a day or two?"

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

It's not that I've waited for it but finally this e-mail  came and it says:

Congrats, Alex! You’ve earned Superhost 4 times in a row, which means you’ve unlocked a Superhost bonus. It’s a little extra thanks for the extra care you put in to hosting.

And of course a lot of else with this in the end:

Sent with ♥ from Airbnb