AirBnB support - no support

Nina1093
Level 3
West Vancouver, Canada

AirBnB support - no support

Hello community. 

I had a couple of issues I needed speedy resolution with over the last couple of days and I’m convinced now Airbnb support have a coordinated the following approach: you call or message them - they tell you how wonderful you are and that they’ll resolve your issue “rest assured” and will transfer you to another department that can better assist you. You then hear back days later when your issue resolves one way or another, usually at your expense. If you call repeatedly or message - they’ll keep making promises and then stonewalling and ghosting you. 
They aren’t here to support us or to do anything for us. Just know you are on your own whether it’s host guarantee or canceling instant book reservation that announces they’ll be breaking your house rules - they say you can cancel (you can’t if guests book within 24 hours or check in) or evicting tenants who are committing crime - it will be only your problem. You’ll get zero help. 

15 Replies 15

Their customer service used to be so good, and now, well, let's just say it leaves MUCH to be desired. 

I opened a ticket on the 6th, and still have not heard from an actual agent from Airbnb. I opened a new ticket this morning for a separate issue, and the chat bot closed the ticket and added it to the ticket opened on July 6th. 

I am actively looking at other companies to deal with, because this is just ridiculous.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Now you have got that off your chest 🙂 , if you let us know what sort of issues you need help with - we might be able to advise @Nina1093 

@Helen3  truth!

@Nina1093  the sooner you realize that ABB wants you to manage your issues 100% yourself, the happier you will be. We are all here to assist. This is your CS. None of us get paid though. I will take bribes in the form of wine or coffee 🙂

Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

@Helen3  I sent an inquiry six days ago and haven't had any sort of reply from Airbnb support. I'm concerned that if I ever really needed to talk with Airbnb in a timely manner, it's not just going to happen. Has that been your experience? @Laura2592  Also, is there an actual Airbnb phone number? I've never been able to find one!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Hal3292 

Hello Hal, here is the Airbnb contact phone numbers for the USA and Canada.....

United States and Canada+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

As a US Superhost I think you should have been given a specific contact number when you achieved your superhost status. Other US users might be more specific there.

For those of us outside the US and Canada what happens Hal, if you call using your Airbnb registered phone, (that is the one you receive notifications on) as soon as your call answers, the automated system recognises that that phone number belongs to a Superhost and you will automatically go to the head of the queue and your call will be answered by the first available support person wherever they may be in the world. I find it quick and effective. I have never had to wait more than a minute or two before I am talking to a CS.

Whether they will be of any use to you....well that's another story, but I have found them easily contactable!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4Thank you so much!

I have been a host for 4 years and yes the Airbnb support before was fabulous!  As you stated that some things you need to be resolved immediately.  I am getting the same process as you stated with the we care about you and then we have to send it up the chain and then they never get back to you.  Blah Blah Blah!  What I have been doing is when they send the survey after your interaction that says how likely are you to recommend Airbnb, I put 0 and say because they convinced me not to ever book an Airbnb. Airbnb needs to stop creating all this new stuff and get back to quality control of their support and listings.  They have a huge PR problem and how to fix it is to get back to basics.

Been waiting 27 minutes for support. Been trying to complain for over a week. 

Arrived to area of booking, found no address in any communications. 2 hours of trying to contact. Spent night in car, in desert at 28 degrees C, with our dog!

Shocking!

Kathryn531_0-1628614463711.png

5 minutes or less it says. 

Rebecca1458
Level 4
Washington, DC

I had to repeatedly message and call the last few days to get an issue resolved. At one point I was messaging back and forth with a support member and right before she was supposed to finish resolving the claim, I get an out of office message from her! I had just been talking to her!

Thankfully my final call to support landed me with a competent support member who was able to resolve my issue. But at this point it had been several days and I had talked to four different support members who all had promised to resolve the issue but then ghosted me.

I lost several thousand dollars last year due to lack of follow up or support from Airbnb. If the idea of "misery loving company "is true...we have a lot. I tried to communicate with CEO via email multiple times to receive no reply and no resolution to my issue. I am a superhost and have been shocked and disappointed by the lack of support to host over the past 2 years. They make promises of follow up and reply days later or never reply at all. Airbnb competitors aggressively are contacting hosts to make a switch to them as word is out on the poor job Airbnb is doing to support hosts.

Elizabeth2247
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Same here, absolutely dreadful but they are quick enough to take your money but not quick enough to resolve problems.    we would now like to go with someone else to rent our property in the UK.   Can someone come up with a company that is reliable and will actually talk to you

@Elizabeth2247 :

I can’t find a reliable company.

Check out VRBO here: 

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vrbo.com

Their host website is horrible, slow, and has more bugs than Mississippi in August. Lots of very unhappy people.

And here you can see that everything is not peachy at Booking.com:

https://partner.booking.com/en-gb/community/partner-feedback/host-reviews-host-experience

Apparently Expedia has taken over VRBO and a bunch of others, tried to combine them, and made a huge mess in the process. Maybe they will eventually clean up, but right now things are awful for hosts.

Elizabeth2247
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We received a request for a booking for 4 adults, 4 children and 1 infant.   I only actually advertise for 8 people but through my own fault did not ask for the age of the infant.    Jo arrived and immediately i realised that she had 5 adults, 4 children and an infant under the age of 2 which is clearly stated i do not take as we have a hot tub, a pond although covered and lots of steps around.   she has tried to say the child does not count, but she missed the point that the overbook was the 5 adults.    Against my better judgement i let her stay.   During our initial conversations she had asked for a blow up bed as two of the children did not want to sleep together.  I accommodated her.   Shen then asked for a travel cot and high chair, which it specifically states should be organised before arrival.  We have a shared drive and can accommodate 2 cars.  when she arrived she had 3 cars but as one of the cars was a small smart car and would not cause any problems we accommodated her.   We were specific that she must not block the shared driveway and also no further cars.   Not good enough for this lady, went up to my garage and there were 5 cars parked.  My irate neighbour came out and I immediately rang the guest who said she was on the beach with her friends who had parked there.   A very strained conversation ensued with my request that she immediately come off the beach and move the cars as she was in breach again of the house rules, the first one being additional guest.   A text was received saying we advertised 2 cars at the top and 2 at the bottom, not sure where she was going with this as there were 5 cars parked there.   We informed her that the facilities for the house were for the sole use of her family and there were 3 car parks within walking distance of the house.   Nest day, a request for a tumble dryer.  I redirected her to my listing which states there is no tumble dryer, we have washing machine, washing line, free washing pods and conditioner.   Not good enough she then asked me how she was going to dry her childrens clothes ,   I pointed her towards the local launderette and the washing line.  back she came she didn't see why she had to walk to the launderette to dry, wait for it, her childrens swimming costumes.  She originally booked in for two weeks and I assumed that the guests she had booked in were staying for the whole two weeks then i noticed another set of guests who were coming and going in the house.   I asked her if she had additional guests and her reply was my other family have gone and these have taken their place.   you can imagine my dismay that she had not even had the decency, albeit she had ample opportunity to discuss this with me even before she arrived as she had asked for a mid week clean and change of bedding which i thought in all honesty, 8 people in a house, sand coming in, 4 children was a reasonable request, it turned out this was for her new guests.  We were discussing the fact that I was very unhappy when the new guest came over and started screaming and shouting at me with horrendous language, i ignored her as i was speaking to my guest but she wanted her stay and when I said i was going to ring airbnb she said go ahead and see where you get.  

How true these words were.  Airbnb have done nothing but pass me from pillar to post with texts saying we will upgrade this thread.   5 people later and my request that they cancel the booking to get rid of the obnoxious guest who I had no idea who she was or even how many people were now staying in my house, I am still waiting for action.   They even forgot to inform me that they had been in contact with the original guest and were trying to find a solution.   I asked if i had the right to cancel the booking myself and was told i would have to give the obnoxious guest a refund.   I categorically refused.   How can I give a refund to someone who is unauthorised in my home, have never had the chance to make a decision about whether I want her in my home and she stated she had paid for the week sand was "f...ing well going to stay here".   I relayed all of this to airbnb and stated that under their rules and regulations it states that guests should at all time inform the host of who is staying in their home.  yes they agreed she had broke the rules but did absolutely nothing to support me literally in my hour of need as the obnoxious guest continued to come down past our living accommodation, put two fingers up at me and grin.  What did airbnb do.   NOTHING.    Late Wednesday night yet again i had another text from yet another person in airbnb saying the usual script we are here to help and sort out this situation.   it is now Friday, the guest is still in the house and airbnb are not replying at all to me.    WOW  what a company, there is a forum on the community centre and i have redirected all the agents who spoke to me to have a look at it, airbnb support, - no support,  It is dreadful what some hosts are having to put up with and the general consensus is that airbnb will keep you on hold and when the problematic guests have gone, hey presto their job is done, they don't have to bother trying to placate you.   

I have actually written to the Chief Executive and i bet a lot of people are laughing at this suggestion but i stated to him that i did not expect to get a reply even though his blog states he started at the bottom and worked his way up, what about the people who are keeping him on his way up and those of us who are trying to earn a living and relying on his quotation that support is always there and we can rely on them.   What a shambles, unfortunately I have bookings until september 18th and do not want to let people down but at the moment I feel like cancelling and moving on.   My reviews for this year have been outstanding and already had enquiries for guests to come back.   i will be coming off airbnb and taking bookings myself.   The problem too big a company now and not enough care for the little fishes swimming around in murky water.   The moral which should be posted on the airbnb site is guests come first, complaints go to the bottom of the pile and hosts, if there is no other alternative should be dealt with by passing them on until they get fed up.

I wish i could put the name of the guest who really was absolutely the most deceitful person I have come across but hey she goes tomorrow and my life will go on.

Elizabeth.