Airbnb Price Error

Jim453
Level 2
Thunder Bay, Canada

Airbnb Price Error

I booked a small apartment for a month through Airbnb. The owner accepted my request, and Airbnb charged the full month to my credit card. Within minutes the host contacted me to say that the price was in error. It seems that Airbnb advertised the wrong price! Most corporations would make a correction of the advertised price and eat the loss on the sales made while the wrong price was advertised.

Not so with Airbnb! They sent me an email with the option to pay the additional charge. When I refused, they cancelled the booking.

This would not be a major issue if the charge and credit were dollar for dollar the same. Unfortunately, I am in Canada, and the apartment is in the US. My credit card company charges 3% on a currency conversion, so I expect to be out about $190 for Airbnb's mistake.

Not a happy camper for sure.

7 Replies 7

wow, I have never expected airbnb side with host with this type of issue. May i know what's the rate you book and what the new rate is?

I paid $2872.61CAD and was requested to pay an additional $679USD, or about another $950CAD. This was for 30 days.

@Jim453    I would keep on at Airbnb, apparently using Twitter and FB make them sit up and take notice. At the least Airbnb should refund the full amount in the currency you paid plus all conversion fees, it made the mistake, it should pay for it.  btw:  I didn't think it was possible for a host to change the price after a confirmed booking even if a mistake had been made re: pricing etc.  But I have read a few posts where Airbnb have allegedly cancelled the guest when they won't agree to pay more after their booking has been confirmed:  unprofessional and definitely not conducive to building trust or reliability. Good luck!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So much of the communication from Air BNB is  system generated and sometimes the system is wrong.  It is best for you to speak directly with an Air BNB rep and have human intervention.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Jim453
Level 2
Thunder Bay, Canada

Thanks Linda.

Jim453
Level 2
Thunder Bay, Canada

Well, the final tally is in, and the innocent party (me) lost $62 on the in out transaction. No mention of picking up the tab for their mistake from either the owner, or Airbnb. Very not impressed.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jim453 this doesn't sound like an Airbnb error. The host is not being truthful. Hosts not Airbnb sets the rates.

Sounds like the host didn't set their prices properly and rather than honouring the rate, asked you to be pay the difference.

I really dislike hosts who do this, really unprofessional and gives other hosts a bad reputation.