Airbnb helpline not helping

Jennifer192
Level 1
Chattanooga, TN

Airbnb helpline not helping

Hi guys I just had my first negative experience with Airbnb as a host, I have over 100 review and multiple listings, but I had a strange situation where I needed help from Airbnb and I really regret contacting them.

my guest checked in 3 hours earlier than the check in time. not giving me time to clean. I showed up to the property hearing dogs barking.

since I couldn't get in touch with the guest I contacted Airbnb, they got in touch with the guest and confirmed that they checked in early.

I was cool about this but I requested that this particular guest not be able to leave me a review since one of the review questions specifically asks about cleanliness. 

I was made to feel like I was asking for something wrong and they said I would be taking away the guests free speach and they just said that because they do not have a policy for this they can't and won't help me. 

Has anyone had had a similar experience and is there anything we can do about this? 

3 Replies 3
Wayne74
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

This is my own review of the help center.  To every person who tried to help me and treated me with respect and patience, I thank you for your efforts.  For reasons I did not understand I was not able to finalize a AIRBNB rental.  AIRBNB said it was a problem with my card.  My card said it was AIRBNB’s fault.  I spent close to six hours trying to do something that seemed so simple which is complete  an online rental.    I blamed everyone because it cost me a day, but mostly I blamed AIRBNB.  As it turned out it was the experts with my card service who most likely failed to solve the problem in the first hour.  So to all those service people in both companies who I was mean and short with I am truelly sorry.  Especially those at AIRBNB who I was particularly rough on, please  forgive me.  To the Chase card service professions  thanks for nothing.  I learned a lot and next time I will not be so wrong in my judgement.  MEA CULPA

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Jennifer192,

Please help me understand this: how on Earth did that guest get into your home without your permission specially since they arrived 3h earlier to the stablished check in time?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Jennifer192  It appears you have several listings and use a self check-in system rather than a check in time period in which you greet and orient a guest.  Unless you control the check in time remotely, it would seem you are vulnerable to the guest coming at a time you hadn't expected.  This is more a business system problem you can mitigate rather than an issue with the review process.

As to your request to exclude a review based on your perception that the guest came before you had a chance to clean, I side with Air BNB.  You can, of course, respond to the guest review to clarify any negative comments, but the review system does not allow a host to select potential reviews to be excluded even if you feel it is justified. 

I had a situation in which I had to cancel a reservation the day of the check in due to my illness which I did not want to spread to the guest.  Even though the cancellation was accepted under the extenuating circumstances, the guest still reviewed me and gave me a 1 star rating!  The review was not removed because it represented her experience, but I did provide a response that explained the circumstances.  Granted, the review impacted my rating, but I didn't ask for it to be removed.  Stuff happens:P