Airbnb modifying iCal syncing??? WTH!!!

Airbnb modifying iCal syncing??? WTH!!!

Today I got the following email which I suspect everyone else got too.  Who makes these idiotic decisions? Does Airbnb not talk to hosts? For instance I synchronized my calendar with my daughter who is co-host and lives in the building. And given the sometimes spotty functionality of the Airbnb website when I’m not in range of a strong WiFi or cellular signal (text works as backup) I need the info on my calendar. I don’t want that extra step.

So I have a work-around 

i will now copy copy and paste ALL reservation info into the notes section of iCal which then negates this change and gives me access to vital information when I’m out of range. I suggest you do the same. It will populate to the co-host calendar.

case closed. At some point Airbnb is going to innovate itself out of existence by putting fake guest concerns over owner safety.

....”

AirbnbHi Christine,As part of Airbnb’s ongoing efforts to minimize exposure of guest information, exported iCal events will no longer display reservation details. These changes will take effect on December 1

What’s changing?

The iCal calendar sync description for reservations will display only the last 4 digits of the guest phone number, along with a link to the reservation details page. The guest name and reservation code will be removed from the event titles, and the calendar sync will export listing calendar information for future dates only.The following information will be provided for each reservation exported via iCal moving forward:
  • Summary: Will appear as “Reserved”

• Description: Will include a “Reservation URL” section with the link to the reservation details page and a “Phone Number (Last 4 Digits)” section with the last 4 digits of the guest’s phone number

What does this mean for hosts?

If you rely on detailed information from the iCal calendar sync descriptions, you may need to make updates or alert your software partners to the changes above so they’re ready when they take effect on December 1, 2019

These changes won’t impact iCal’s syncing functionality—your calendar will continue to prevent multiple guests from booking the same dates.

We appreciate your help in making Airbnb a trusted community for all.Thanks for being a host,The Airbnb Team

•  

9 Replies 9
Harriet68
Level 2
Nags Head, NC

I agree.  AIR BNB DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE HOSTS!

Pavel54
Level 1
Hradec Králové, Czech Republic

YES Exactly... it SUCKS!!

Now if have multiple cal I can not quicky check calendar because need always to spent couple of minutes to go to bnB app calendar to check names etc.. To be bale to easy manage cleaning, check-in and other bookings..

AT LEAST - private NOTE SHOULD BE VISIBLE....

this was for us to have this info quickly and easy visible....

p.

Sissy7
Level 1
Athens, Greece

So,what does this exactly mean ? We have our  Airbnb calendar sychronised with HomeAway calendar

Then you'll probably have to check both calendars to see who's coming in.

I also want to express my disappointment in the decision Airbnb made to remove booking details from ical sync. This is extremely inconvenient for hosts who rely on this information for quick details on the go and the ability to call and connect with guests at a moments notice. 

Isn't there a better way to do this??! 

Josh 

They also changed the dates to show nights rather than check in and check out dates. Too bad the app sucks too

Freysi0
Level 1
Hafnarfjordur, IS

This basicly renders the iCal feature useless. If check-in and check-out dates are back to back I just see one big blob. Meaning I cant see where the first guests check out and the next check in 😞

Roberto119
Level 2
Brownsville, TX

Send them feedback...I just did. If enough people shows them the disappointment, they may take action.

Be loud on any other forums you participate in... specially in Facebook and Instagram.

Lisa1040
Level 2
Noosaville, AU

I just sent feedback to airbnb, we need the guest info back when syncing google calendar with iCal.

Thumbs down Airbnb.