Airbnb needs a simple BLOCK button

A30
Level 5
California, United States

Airbnb needs a simple BLOCK button

Airbnb needs to make a very simple block feature, sitting right on the guest's profile.

Currently, Airbnb customer service reps refer hosts to using the "report" feature, which only has 3 options (random reasons, none of which lead to a "block" button unlike what the reps are trained to tell us. Even this method is faulty)..

There are dozens of reasons why a host needs to block a guest from repeatedly harassing a host, requesting a booking, causing a host's acceptance rates to decline, and waste time when hosts already know it's an unsuitable guest.

Please add a block feature right on the person's profile and make it easy for us hosts to decide who can contact us.

25 Replies 25
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I totally agree. I had never used the block button, but when I decided to for the first time, it had disappeared. I did not want to report the guest and none of the reason options given were applicable.

It's not only a pain in the backside to deal with a guest you don't want to accept but who is determined to book, it can affect your acceptance rate.

I've had a couple of instances where I've had to ask Airbnb to cancel a reservation for me and then the guest has just gone and instant booked again (even though I already told the guest why I was uncomfortable with their reservatoin).

One time this happened and I had to call Airbnb again to cancel it, they told me that it would count as two of my three 'freebie' IB cancellations a year, even though it was the same guest/reservation. The guest then went and booked a THIRD time! 

There was another similar situation where the guest rebooked after I cancelled. I then asked him to cancel from his end, which he did reluctantly. Ten minutes later, his girlfriend booked the dates. They thought I wouldn't realise it was the same couple but I did. Some people just don't take no for an answer.

As for IP address, yes this is important. It's SO easy for a guest to create a new/additional account. They do it all the time. I've had several guests contact me with one account and then book with another, telling me that they did it to get a discount for first time users. Airbnb is clearly not very vigilant about preventing this.

Danny32
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

makes sense! 

How would airbnb do this in a way that avoids discrimination though?

If you want to blcok a guest from rebooking with you.

you have to send in your feedback to airbnb.com/help/feedback. and request this option to be made available to host.

in my feedback I told Airbnb there should be more option. I think host have the right to block bad guest. And as long as not a race and ....... things that are protected by the law. But have that one guest not able to book with the same host, it does not limit their choice where they can book.

especially it is a done deal, after they check out. They can't says we discriminate against them. They stay and left. It's not like we block them as a new guest (never stay at the property), or even before they check in. or during their stay. So blocking them from coming back in legal standpoint should be safe.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

Completely agree.  The current "report" feature is about as useless as it gets.  Frankly, there are many reasons why I wouldn't want to host certain people again.  Being able to just block them would make things so much easier for us as hosts.  But I'm afraid,  Airbnb will never give us that option as it could potentially cut into their "bottom line".   😛

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Make your opinion known, your voice heard, sort of (?) Let ABB know how you feel about this by sending "Feedback on the Product" Go to Help and scroll down to Give Feedback. Supposedly, if they get enough feedback on a certain topic, it gets "considered" It is worth the minute or two it takes.

I send in regular feedback about the Messaging system, to the effect that we need to be able to see that our guests "read" a message and vice versus as well.

I will definitly be sending Feedback regarding the Block button. I completely agree. We should have the right to block whomever we want for whatever reason we want. These are, mostly, our homes and we have final say on whom we trust in them. Blocking out a problem prevents that person from tying up dates that we are NOT going to allow them to book in the end and keeps them available for guests we will allow. Win Win all around. 

why not?

Brice45
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Agree!!

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I briefly remember it! I'd like it back for guests who keep harassing us!

Eric1259
Level 2
Millbrae, CA

IF YOU WANT TO BLOCK A GUEST FROM REBOOKING WITH YOU.

you have to send in your feedback to airbnb.com/help/feedback. and request this option to be made available to host.

Because it didn't give me the option to block them from future booking under "Report User",   It only give the following option. the first option is I think they’re scamming or spamming me, the second option is They’re being offensive, the third option is Something else. When I choose the third option it gives me "I’m concerned they’re hosting in my neighborhood" and "Something on this page is broken" that's it.

in my feedback I told Airbnb there should be more option than those two. I think host have the right to block bad guest. And as long as not a race and ....... things that are protected by the law. But have that one guest not able to book with the same host, it does not limit their choice where they can book.

especially it is a done deal, after they check out. They can't says we discriminate against them. They stay and left. It's not like we block them as a new guest (never stay at the property), or even before they check in. or during their stay. So blocking them from coming back in legal standpoint should be safe.

Eric1259
Level 2
Millbrae, CA

If you want to blcok a guest from rebooking with you.

Because it didn't give me the option to block them from future booking under "Report User",   It only give the following option. the first option is I think they’re scamming or spamming me, the second option is They’re being offensive, the third option is Something else. When I choose the third option it gives me "I’m concerned they’re hosting in my neighborhood" and "Something on this page is broken" that's it.

in my feedback I told Airbnb there should be more option than those two. I think host have the right to block bad guest. And as long as not a race and ....... things that are protected by the law. But have that one guest not able to book with the same host, it does not limit their choice where they can book.

I agree, it's a necessary option.