Almost Simultaneous Requests

Linda337
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Almost Simultaneous Requests

Hello --

This morning, I had a request from someone who wants to book 3 days in April.  I have learned (the hard way) not to do an automatic Accept on the Instant Booking.  I sent her a note, letting her know I had gotten her request.  She asked how far a certain place is from where we are.  Still have not done the Accept/Decline.

A very short time later, I had a request for the entire month of April.  Seems a no-brainer, eh?  The thing is, this person is dealing with an ailing grandfather and will not know, for sure, until this coming Tuesday if she will need to be here for the month.  Well, she did this on Instant Booking.  Good thing I didn't automatically click Accept. 

ANYway, I am assuming that I can just click Decline and then, once she knows her situation, she can just re-book.  Is there any downside to this scenario?  (I've worked out the situation of the 3 day booking with the one month booking person.)

Thanks so much for your help.

~leendah

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Linda337

If you are on instant book at any time you have space available in your calendar anyone can make a booking without you having to accept or decline. So within the next five minutes or 50 hours someone could come along for a day or two days within that month and book.

If you want to choose who books and for how long, turn off instant booking and create a minimum stay in your settings.

Hi Helen.

Thanks for the response. 

I think I need to clarify ... I am going to (actually have already) approved the one for the three days.  What I was concerned about is what happens with the one who requested a month?  Technically, I could have just approved her but she is not really ready and I don't think she understood that.  So, what should happen now?  I can decline her and all is right in the airbnb world?

Sorry, I don't mean to be dense but I am still in the learning curve and am looking for experienced guidance.

Thanks!!!

Okay, SINCERE APOLOGIES!!  I think I just figured this out.  I dug around more in the Help section.  Imagine that.  

I think the thing that threw me was the pre-approval situation.  I have not had that yet.  

So, I will be under no penalty if I decline the woman who won't know until Tuesday?  I want to be sure to respond in the appropriate time and not "hurt" either of us.

Sorry for taking up your time and, again, appreciate your help.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I'm not sure what you meant in your original post, but you DO have Instant Booking active on your listing - meaning people who fit the criteria you have indicated (and if you haven't indicated any, the minimum criteria Airbnb defaults to) will be able to instantly book your listing without your approval.  If this is NOT something you want, you'll need to Turn Instant Book Off.

Okay, I don't know how to explain my question.

1 - I do not want to turn off Instant Booking.  We have had very good luck with that so far.

2 - These two situations came across as Pre-Approved or Decline and, bad me, did not really get that because I haven't had that in the past.  

3 - I (within the last half hour) pre-approved the one who wrote first.  I did not realize it was an INQUIRY.  When I pre-approved, I chose the option to block those dates on my calendar.  I will unblock them if she decides not to book.

4 - The month long one was also an INQUIRY.  

5 - The month long person is dealing with a medical situation and I do not want to accidentally mess anything up for her (or me) with Airbnb.  I ASSUME I should DECLINE her request and she can book when she has definite plans.  OR

6 - Should I pre-approve the month long person and then SHE does something on her end?

Again, sorry.  I really am not usually a dense person.  %-]

@Linda337

you can preaprove or decline as many inquires as you want. But you have to do it in 24 h time frame.

You can preaprove more than 1 inquiry for the same period of time

You can preaprove one guest and block those days  so others can not instant book the same period

@Linda337  Ok, this makes much more sense now!  Since the month-long stay is just an inquiry and you have already responded to her initial message, you do not need to do anything more at this point.  She will get back in touch with you if/when she is ready to book your place.  Since you have pre-approved the 3-day guest, she has 24 hours to complete her reservation or the pre-approval will lapse and the dates will open back up on your calendar.

You've done everything right - nothing more to do but wait!

Cynthia/Chris,

Thank you so much for the clarification.  I was reading those FAQs and, since I haven't had one of these kinds yet, I just was uncertain.  The last time I was uncertain and tried to help a guest, ABB smacked me.  LOL

The second person, you said I don't need to do anything and it happens on her end but I keep getting the message that I need to respond within 24 hours.

<crossed eyes>  Seriously, I am not usually the one in the dark.  I am usually the 'splainer.  Hahahaha.

Thanks.

if you still  keep getting the message that you need to respond within 24 hours maybe you didn't preaprove it? Try to preaprove it again

Rich104
Level 2
Cleveland, GA

Hello, I have a similar problem: Person A wanted to negotiate a price but I already have a "rent 3 get 1 free" policy. He was happy with that and told me he would book when he got off work. I "Pre-approved" him. Somehow, another person (Person B) wants to book at the same time (but only two nights).  Since Person A was first, he was pre-approved (and it is an additional night).Seems like the right thing to do. However, Person B has the spots waiting for approval. Can I decline and still have person A reserve?

Hi Rich: If they are Both an INQUIRY you can preapprove them and it is up to them to be the first to book. You can send a message to the first one and mention you have another Inquir for the same time span to light a fire under him to make a decision AND/OR send a message to the second Inquiry and tell them you have someone that asked first but if #1 dosen't book, you will be glad to host #2 instead. When you Preapprove, it still leaves the dates open until someone actually books. If one books ahead of the other, the non booking party should recieve a message that those dates are no longer available. 

@Linda337 

When if you pre-approve the dates are not blocked. Who ever pays first gets the room. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/838/what-is-a-pre-approval

Hosts

When you pre-approve a guest’s inquiry, you give them permission to automatically confirm a booking for specific dates. The dates won’t be blocked on your calendar, so you can pre-approve multiple guests at one time.

Guests

If a host has sent you a pre-approval, your booking isn’t confirmed until you’ve clicked Book It in the message thread with the host and added your payment information. Hosts can send pre-approvals to many potential guests, so if you’ve found the perfect space, make sure to complete the booking process as soon as possible.