Am I required to have a landline telephone in my guest rental?

Tracie24
Level 7
Washington, DC

Am I required to have a landline telephone in my guest rental?

The landline phones we had in our basement rental were removed while we completed the renovations and we never put them back. We still have them upstairs in our private space but rarely use them since we rely mostly on our cell phones. I  assume most travelers are doing the same - using their cell phones.  I didn't really think about it until a few days ago but wondered if I should have a phone there for emergency use.  Local calls only of course.

How are you handling phone usage in your rental?

Thanks

14 Replies 14
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Most people I know can't even remember their landline number, let alone have a phone plugged in the socket! 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Tracie24, is anyone anywhere required to have a landline? 😉

A good point @Emilia42.  A  very good point.  I was thinking of hotels (even though we are NOT hotels) for local calls.

@Tracie24, everyone has a cell phone these days. Guests wouldn't bat an eye by the lack of a landline. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Emilia42  I never owned a cell phone. And i am not the only one. ;>)

(but i would not be bothered at all if there is no landline in the accomodation)

Wow @Emiel1 , I applaud you! Many people would ask how you do it! but I would bet your life is a lot simpler without one 🙂

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Tracie24I do not have a landline phone in my guest cabin, and never intend to put one in.  No one has complained so far.  I don't even have wifi installed yet and a good many guests have noted that even that doesn't bother them.  I do intend to have wifi put in, in the near future evenso. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"No phone, no pool, no pets...."

🙂

I have never seen a landline in any of the places I have stayed. There are certainly none in my listing. Even cell reception is spotty. You're fine, @Tracie24 .

I know what you mean, though. When I cancelled the landline a few years ago, the phone company rep was on and on about emergencies and how I was leaving my family unprotected. You probably still have their dire warnings ringing in your ears. 

That is exactly it @Lawrene0.   I was thinking what if my guests have an emergency. But you're right, I'll let it go. The alarmist in me will need to relax and stop worrying. 

Hi Tracie, our mountain condo is fairly remote and not everyone gets a good signal up there, depending on their carrier. In fact, we warn them to write down the directions, address, lockbox code before they start their trip in case they don't get a good signal. Because of that, we put in a landline for emergencies. It hasn't quite been a year but so far guests only used it a couple of times to contact us. We have the condo address right next to it in case they have to call 9-1-1 and direct them.

After a year we may reconsider and take it out, but for now we feel better safe than sorry. (I confess that, as a former Girl Scout and Boy Scout leader and first responder, I occasionally go overboard on thinking "safety first.") Guests can call the entire U.S. and Canada but we ask them not to make any other international calls.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Tracie24 

I've been renting out my place for 15 years and I didn't have a landline right from the start.

All these 15 years noone ever asked for it.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Tracie24 

We have one in our guest suite because most mobile carriers have little-to-no service here. Once it was out of order and a single female guest noted that she felt uncomfortable being potentially snowed in with no way to call out. But with good mobile coverage I wouldn't worry about it.

@Tracie24 

I don't have a landline in my home..... I don't even have a TV. Henry and I manage just fine with our cell phones, laptops and ipads..... we've had no complaints from guests 🙂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tracie24 I put a landline in a cabin in Maine really because it's an old rotary phone and it looks good with the decor.  When I called to connect service, the telephone company told me I could have 911-only service, and I went for it because cell reception is very spotty up there and I thought it would be good to have in case of emergency.  Plus when the power goes out a rotary phone will still work!