Anyone had to evict guests? I did today!!

Alex1477
Level 3
Newport, United Kingdom

Anyone had to evict guests? I did today!!

Hi all,

Had a very successful first year renting out our spare room in Wales, UK, superhosts, plenty of repeat stays, 4.98 average, about 92% occupancy month after month - and today had to action our first eviction: 2 overseas college kids studying in Wales on a pre-term jolly around Europe, nipping here and there and using our room as a base. 21 day booking, away for a week on the continent, then back very early hours of the morning with hardly any notice for the UK leg of the Grand Tour. They knocked me up at 5am having forgot their key, then pulled an expensive rainfall showerhead off the bathroom wall at 7.30 am. At 7.45 am I gave them notice they were to have vacated the property by 6pm and immediately phoned Airbnb customer services and said that unless they upheld my decision, they would be removed at 6pm by the police. They did and notified the guests by 7.50 am they were to leave, which they accepted without argument.

At 5.15pm, having left their room like a **bleep** pit, they left in a taxi.

Whilst not nice having to do that, they clearly had an absence of compassion or respect for my home, and it was a sense of 'this doesn't feel at all good' that made me decide on the spot they were to go. I was gladthat Airbnb stood by me.

We've closed our room for a few days to get over it!

10 Replies 10
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've done it once, @Alex1477.  A middle-aged, middle-class female using a (John Lewis no less) cup to stub our her fags in my no-smoking room.

Good idea to take a few days to let the experience pass. 

Jenni-and-Robert0
Level 5
Kinlochleven, United Kingdom

It’s never nice to be in this situation. We have had to do it just the once.... (very lucky so far) the guest flooded our bathroom, coming home drank and leaving the tap running..... in short they gave a Oscar winning performance and got away with it.....very long  story.... we unfortunately got very let down by the French Airbnb side of things.... such a negative time, with them only wanting to close the case. We learnt a lot that week, about damages and when things go truely Pete-tog......

at the end of the day you as hosts have to protect your property yourselves.......

I didn't experience anything such as we do not have such guest.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Alex1477 

I never had to evict guests, but I can turn off cold water, warm water,

heating and electricity from the outside of the building.

That helps a lot.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Ute42  that's such a good way to NOT have people lingering in the house way past check out time. 

I once had water cutoff but this was because of unnoticed maintenance in the building, luckily it's was 1 hour after checkout right during the time these guests hitting the shower. 

These guests where so annoying still with shampoo in her hair complaining that there was no water.  

The guests thought I did turn off of the water on purpose. 

I apologise but still....now when I think about it....

Karma can be so sweet.

Don't mess with @Ute42 from Germany hehehe 😄

You might want to check with a lawyer your tactics as this can be coercion under German law

Geraldine60
Level 10
Nice, France

I applaud you.  Good for you.

Ballal0
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I've come close to it twice. When I've had 'workies' rent my place for extended periods. Instead I just had the cleaner do regular checks and resolve any issues before they got too bad! 

But these were just very messy young guys. 

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Alex1477, I did it twice. One was because I do not see my home as a brothel. Second time “fantastic” fellow hosts decided that everything mine is for them, including personal items. With the second case I was ready to call the police as the guests turned aggressive. Absolutely unpleasant experiences:(