Anyone with children hosting private shared space?

Anyone with children hosting private shared space?

My husband and I are considering becoming hosts.  We have 2 boys (ages 7 and 12).   We would be renting out our finished full walk-out basement (bedroom, family room, and full bath).  There is 2 windows and a sliding glass door so guests could enter and exit through that door, BUT since it's a sliding glass door they wouldn't be able to lock it behind them.  Guests would have to, therefore, enter and exit from our front door and walk through our main floor to get to the basement.  (Also, carrying suitcases down/up a flight of stairs isn't going to win us any hosting awards, right?)  Are we crazy for inviting strangers into our home when we have young kids?  (For the record, I don't think we are, but my kids think we are....)

4 Replies 4
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Sounds like you have a raised ranch.  If so, is there a walkway leading out of that slider to the car/sidewalk/front of the house?  I lived in a raised ranch with a fully-finished lower level that led out to a large patio, but I didn't have walkways to get me to the front of the house or the driveway.  If that becomes the primary entrance for your guests, consider weather and muddy shoes.  Walking through the house to get to the lower level is less than ideal.  Make the slider work.... getting a double-sided lock on it is a quick fix.

Linda545
Level 2
Corte Madera, CA

Alisha: we just decided to list our extra bedroom, which shares a bath with our teenage daughter. I was also wondering if I was crazy to invite strangers into our home with my 15 yr old girl. We live just outside San francisco, and so far we have booked two separate 3-night stays with single travelers. The first one arrives Friday.

Have you had any good/bad experiences regarding this situation? 
Would love to hear!

Linda

We rent our downstairs master bedroom in Morro Bay. We have two children, 2 and 7. We have had no safety issues, but we do have a motion detector/ camera in use to alert us if someone comes upstairs during the night, as the upstairs is our private space, but not secured from guests. The only problem we've had is a few guests suggesting we have more info in our listing regarding our children. I think that's ridiculous, children are people too. My children don't interfere or interact with our guests, unless we're coming or going by chance. 

Hi, 

since you have been Airbnbing have you had other issues about not putting more information on your listing about your children? Thanks!